Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've come to a conclusion...

Charlotte North Carolina (here where I was born and raised) is a dud for finding old coins. And there is a reason. This area was settled by Scots-Irish immigrants (my ancestors, my moms family were Scots and my dad's mom was Irish) Here is my conclusion: If they dropped something (ie coins or anything of value) they promptly stopped everything they were doing and found it. (I think I have to much time on my hands ;) )

Upvote 0

tabfinder

Jul 9, 2006
Midwest
Detector(s) used
Nocta Simplex
Re: I've come to a conclusion...

Keen observation....but have you looked EVERYWHERE?? LOL

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My ancestors are Native American and they never dropped their coins because they never had any long enough. The Scots and Irish beat them out of their coins. Come to think of it one side of my family has the family name of McNair. They married my two great great grandmothers who were full blood Cherokee. I think the Native Americans were getting even! ???Monty

OP
OP
Ramapirate

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My Great Grandmother on my dads side was full blooded Cherokee (last name Rampley) and you are probably right!

WV_Detecting

Oct 24, 2005
WV
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT

There is a MD shop in Dallas or Waco(over toward Shelby, North of Gastonia). Try hooking up with those guys, they can help put you on the right track. Alot of old stuff over that way, kings mtn, etc. Spartanburg also good area with lots of MD club type stuff, besides you are in GOLD country down that way, ie 1st 4 roads in Kings mtn were named, Kings, Mountain, Gold, and Mine, or so I have been told, look south side of town small creek that runs into Broad river. Try the old road running between Shelby and Grover, lots of Revolutionary War action down that way. Also Boiling Springs might be good. Hope this helps

OP
OP
Ramapirate

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks WV, I'll go check out the guys over in the Dallas/Waco area. There is lots of places to go looking around here, but I just haven't been to them yet. I'm still sort of new to the whole thing and am still looking in newer parks for clad and jewelry.

Thanks for the tip :),
Ramapirate

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread