MASSIVE COIN SPILL

05Duramax

Jan 6, 2008
ALASKA
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 LTD, Bounty Hunter Ultra Mag (camo), GARRETT PRO POINTER
Found a massive coin spill yesterday at a park on base. Had 2 hours to do some metal detecting before I go to the gym then work so I decided to try a small park on base that had produced some coins in the past. Upon my arrival I found that another person was there before me as his/her holes were everywhere, but but I was finding coins anyway even in and around their holes. After finding maybe 10 new clad it was time to head back to the car. I always detect on the way while I walk out and this time it paid off. As I reach the spot where boulders block traffic from entering the park I get a good zinc signal. I think "okay I got time to dig this and head out". As I dig the hole I notice off the bat that there are 5 pennies lying in and around the plug. So now I get excited (I know they're only pennies) but when I go back with the Pro Pointer I get signals everywhere around the hole and when I set it down to dig more coins out it was hard to find a spot where there was no coins under it. After that hole was cleaned I take the F75 and do a large sweep of the area and found that I was getting good solid signals in a 15 foot diameter around the area. The whole area seemed to be carpeted in coins. From then on it seemed I could use the little probe to dig all the coins close to the surface and only use the F75 when I ran out of targets. I was digging so fast that I was sweating (something I never do while metal detecting) coins were falling out of the sod in twos and threes and then there was my probe driving me crazy every time I put it down thinking to myself that I only have maybe an hour to dig all these coins before work and gym was out of the question now. Long story short I ran out of time and had to head to work with a lot of coins yet out there.

Total so far is -123 pennies-12 nickels-29 dimes-1 Mexican dime-5 quarters

There is still a lot left in the ground and funny thing is that all the coins where found in a little layer on sawdust 2 inches under got me thinking that this was a kids game where they find coins and when they were done with the sawdust they simply dumped it in this area as filler and grew grass over it. It was ironic the way it played out now I'll throw some seed down in the area when I am finally done and hope it takes before summer as it is still early spring and all the grass here is still dead. Can't make it back for a couple days so I'll see if the other person with the detector finds the spot and if they do good for them because I think I just had the best hour of straight digging for coins a man could. I'll keep you posted when I return for a clean up this time with more then a couple hours.

Can't get pics to load have an I Mac computer and it is alot different than our old windows as soon as I figure it out I'll repost pics.

Upvote 0

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Soundes like a lot of fun!

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cheap thrills when you think about it................... :laughing7:

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice!

I've looked and tried to jog my memory from when I was a kid and the church I went to had a similar game for us. They mixed coins in sand and a couple of the coins were silver dollars.
Mind you, this was pre-1964 so the dimes, quarters, etc. would be silver and not clad.

Every time I go to that park I just stare trying to figure out where that spot was but it's changed so much... :dontknow:

But...keep an eye on those church picnic areas. :thumbsup:

Al

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was a kid and we had family picnics or reunions, all the uncles brought all their sawdust and they emptied their change from their pockets for the kids to hunt through the pile while they could play cards, swill beer and have a cigar. We never found all the coins either. So when your in an old park watch for any sawdust piles.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
When I was a kid and we had family picnics or reunions, all the uncles brought all their sawdust and they emptied their change from their pockets for the kids to hunt through the pile while they could play cards, swill beer and have a cigar.

That was brilliant!! :hello2:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have a Spot like that from the 80's
Area gave me well over 150 Wheats
in one day.we Figured Penny Game * Please Note
Exageration Possable, this was the 80's
& I have no Records from then, But
it was a LOT of Wheats.

Shouldn't have told The landowner.
They wouldn't let me come back for more.

Since then there are new Owners
and it is now a Camp site

& the New owners won't allow detecting either

schuylkill_outside_gis-apps59526032758057.jpg

OP
OP
05Duramax

05Duramax

Jan 6, 2008
ALASKA
Detector(s) used
Just finished clean-up at the spill and finished with 49-pennies, 5-nickels, 7-dimes and 1 quarter added to the first total found. That was allot of fun and got me out of the house on a 55 degree blue bird day here in Alaska. Salmon are almost running I'm so excited.

koala33

Apr 29, 2011
Northeast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On base? I am on a base also and I was under the assumption that we could not use our metal detectors on base..??

OP
OP
05Duramax

05Duramax

Jan 6, 2008
ALASKA
Detector(s) used
Well you assumed wrong. Are you Army?

tmanfromtexas

Mar 12, 2006
Deep East Texas near Toledo Bend
Detector(s) used
ETRAC BABY
Those coin spills are fun. I hit a park in Long Beach Ca. while I worked there. I found 160 clad quarters with my Ace 250 that were in piles about 2 inches deep near a tree. Later I went to the other side of the park and found over 100 coins most on the surface from where the homeless folks rested in the evening. That park was a clad giving fun place to hunt. TMAN...

Lucky13

Oct 9, 2010
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics,Teknetics,TEKNETICS!!
If you metal detect the childrens church game sandbox,Im pretty sure you go to hell,Thats just the way it goes.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
In Thomson Park (circa 1920) I found two MASSIVE MASSIVE FRIKIN COIN SPILLS. No, really, I did. My first, 29 old wheats, all concentrated in a 12" diameter, 30's latest, no silver, all cents. The next, a MASSIVE, MASSIVE, MASSIVE MOTHER FREAKIN COIN SPILL, 43 wheats, in area about the size of a pie, I was almost laughing, saying GOTTA be a silver in this one. Nope, I think two or three buffs, these coins were all wheaties but newer into the 40's. Another MASSIVE MASSIVE MASSIVE MASSIVE MASSIVE MOTHER OF ALL MASSIVE COIN SPILL I have encountered, I found a spot about five feet diameter in an obscure park, under some pine trees right next to the road. I gave up after about a hundred new zincolns and late memorial cents. Somebody threw a big container of cents out the window for whatever reason.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread