Apr 26, 2011
Germany
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS :-:
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone!

My sister just brought me my new Ace 250 from the USA today so I went out for a little hunt in a nearby park in Arequipa
(I live in Peru)

Of course the Ace is a real Coin killer, so I found lots of Peruvian clad coins but also a 1979 "10 soles de Oro" coin which is in pretty bad shape, lots of rust or whatever it is on it I scraped it a bit bit I guess thats not so good for the poor coin ;)

I was just wondering if some of you might have some usefull tricks and tips on how to clean rusty or very dirty objects found while MDing..

I thought of Coca-Cola but I was not sure..

Looking forwards to your answers..Thanks!

Upvote 0

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola, just a note....
If you did not know of course...

My wife is from Mira Flores, in Lima
and I visited there several years ago, and (yes I took my detector)
I discovered that your 2 Soles and 5 Soles are made out of IRON and if your discriming IRON
you won't pick them up.

You can also use a magnet in sandy areas to pick up these coins....

Lemon, or vinegar should clean coins pretty well, although in Lima we had a hard time
finding anyone who would take coins we dug on the beach...
Even though I find it hard to believe that anyone could imagine someone trying to
counterfeit 5 and 10 cent pieces...

Buenas suerte con tu nueva machina...
Richard

OP
OP
Benjamin52

Benjamin52

Apr 26, 2011
Germany
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS :-:
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the links, woodland detectors, they are very useful I appreciate it.

Thank you for the valuable information TORRERO, yes I know the 2 and 5 soles coins are partly made of Iron, which is a shame bacause they are the most valuable ones (5 soles is more than one dollar), but they have another material in the inside of the iron "outer ring" so maybe anyone knows what that could be, wpuld be a shame if I couldn`t use Iron discrimination for coinhunting here.

As you mentioned, TORRERO, here in Peru there is a whole false-coin producing-mafia (LOL sounds ridiculous but its true) so as a matter of fact many places will not accept only slightly suspicious-looking coins, a real shame, but thats the way it is...

Do you maybe have any tips for MDing in Peru? What detector did ypu use in Lima?

Greetings from Peru and happy hunting all!

joeman

Mar 19, 2011
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro, BH 840 VLF-TR
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would say that...
I use mostly a 50/50 of lemon Juice for ALL of my Clad coins and that tends to clean them up REALLY quickly. The 'STEEL' coins here develop VERY weird bumps and nodules (pennies mostly) and I would assume that is due to the 'Zinc Coating'. For much of the Steel coins without value, I've used 'GO-JO' mechanics hand cleaner (the one with the 'pumice' in it..) and it does a fine job taking of residue and heavy dirt. Silver cleans up quite nicely using the Tin-Foil / Baking Soda / Water Trick... That definitely works for my silver pieces and jewelery, even the delicate ones. I suppose there are a Million 'other ways' to clean coins, but only a 'few' accepted ones from a 'relic' or 'numismatic' point of view...

Cheers,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread