Need advice on my hunting spots.

bluehunter1973

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2006
Port Huron, Mi.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in port huron michigan nothing too much exciting happened around here treasure wise unless you start diving the lakes but its and old historical port. I have two old captain's houses which has not produced too much and a family members house that was built in 1836 which has produced a few nice finds. My problem is they are developing the local neighborhoods and everything is being ripped up past the foundation. Old photos and plats are being too informative on history of these spots. And yes I have permission to hunt anything I want. Does anyone have a few tips on eyeballing or
just a little incite on which areas to hunt first. These area arent going to be vacant very long. Each area is between 4 to 10 acres
and there is probably 15 spots with more opening everyday. Oh the material being removed is going to my family's gravel pit so im not to worried about checking that yet and its also the reason I have permission to hunt. I guess I kind of have too many areas to hunt and not much time to hunt them. any ideas on how to hunt quicker without passing up the goodies would be very much appreciated.

Upvote 0

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
If you have the info on which lotsare either the oldest or the most interesting, then I'd detect those 1st. I'd use the largest coil you have, not for the depth but for coverage area and check the undisturbed areas 1st. Turn up the disc. a bit 7-8 and try for the higher signals meaning coins, tokens, etc. Go in after the equip. quits runnng for the day and check those areas out but expect to get some readings on copper lines and other household metals. JMO

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stoney56 gave good advice on the coil size and not wasting time on the lower signals. Over lap the sweep some and keep the coil level to the ground. Sounds simple, but you'd be surprised at the guys that swing it like a grass whip. Have you tried the swim beaches?

HH,
Sandman

B

BIG61AL

if you really want to hit this large site hard, get some of you metal detecting buddy's to hit this hard for a weekend - sun up to sun down. every thing found goes in a pot divided by the number of people and draw straws for each share of booty

a third or forth of something is worth more than nothing

OP
OP
bluehunter1973

bluehunter1973

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2006
Port Huron, Mi.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the tips. ground has been pushed up about 6 inches on most of the sites. I have a Garrett GTA 550 and waiting for new coil i ordered, due this week. Its the largest i could get supposed to be good in heavy mineral soil (proformance 10 x 14).Still working my begginer kinks out. only been metal detecting a year. Antique hunter for 15. I think Im the only one besides my son in this area that owns a metal detector havent seen anyone with one for last 8 years. Thanks for the info hope to post whatever i find.

P

porthuronpirates

HEY HEY !! im also from port huron !!! Maybe we could get together and go MDing ??/ Send me an email [email protected] ! Hope to hear from you Chris !

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you are hunting a site much like the one I have been hitting lately. My best find has come from a structure that is prepared to be demolished but is still standing. Once the lot is vacant and graded the hunting is tough because everything has been moved about and scattered. I would concentrate on those lots about to be cleared places first. Check the areas where earth has been moved around the sewer disconnects and sidewalks. Good luck. Monty

OP
OP
bluehunter1973

bluehunter1973

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2006
Port Huron, Mi.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A little update on my spots. I spent 5 days straight hunting a few hours a day. I think the ground is just too disturbed, havent found anything but clad and pieces of jewelry. Nothing interesting to even post. Thanks for the tips and I'm glad to see there is some other hunters in the area.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
bluehunter1973 said:
Thanks for the tips. ground has been pushed up about 6 inches on most of the sites. I have a Garrett GTA 550 and waiting for new coil i ordered, due this week. Its the largest i could get supposed to be good in heavy mineral soil (proformance 10 x 14).Still working my begginer kinks out. only been metal detecting a year. Antique hunter for 15. I think Im the only one besides my son in this area that owns a metal detector havent seen anyone with one for last 8 years. Thanks for the info hope to post whatever i find.
bluehunter1973 said:
A little update on my spots. I spent 5 days straight hunting a few hours a day. I think the ground is just too disturbed, havent found anything but clad and pieces of jewelry. Nothing interesting to even post. Thanks for the tips and I'm glad to see there is some other hunters in the area.

Is it then my understanding that they are pushing the topsoil 6" higher on undetected sites? If that's the case, then you probably won't find much but newer stuff. It would put the old items at 8-12" or more below your coil. You might too slow down and take a lot of overlapping along with increasing the sens. to just under eratic signals. Just a thought.

Ken/CO

Sep 27, 2003
Colorado
Hey bluehunter,
I spent several years in the Algonac area, and lot of the old farm building are gone, but look for areas where there are some indicators of past dwellings like groves or patterns of trees, old driveways, fencing, wells. Try to envision how things were. I've done that on a couple of trips back there and found some coins, jewelry, relics.
HH
Ken/CO

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread