Im convinced that metal detecting opportunities are limitless

ringding

May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505
I'm convinced that metal detecting opportunities are limitless

I live in a small town and have been hunting almost everyday since May. You would have thought that I have hunted out all possible places. However, I hunt one place pretty hard and move to another place, and then another and so on. But then I drive by one of the other places and they are doing construction and have tore up a bunch of turf revealing new areas to detect. Then when I hunt that pretty hard I go back to a park I had hunted before and it is newly seed with clad from kids playing in the playground area. I go to the beach on the coast during a busy, hot weekend and the beach is full of people all the way from the water line back almost up to the dunes and then down each direction of the beach as far as the eye can see. And its like that every weekend during the summer. It doesn't matter if there are four people out there metal detecting. There is no way they are going to cover every square inch of that beach and low water. And even if they did, tropical storms bring up new material. And just for kicks I'll go back to a place that I had hunted pretty hard and thought I found everything, but I'll still find coins I missed. There have also been instances where I have walked out in the middle of nowhere and I was skeptical that I would find anything, but then I would and I would wonder why is that coin way out here in this remote area? I have come to the conclusion that metal detecting opportunities are limitless.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: I'm convinced that metal detecting opportunities are limitless

The FORCE is strong in you. You are blessed with it, enjoy.

Many years ago I would find sawdust piles in old parks where families would dump saved sawdust and have coins for the kids to crawl around in to find. They never found all of them and it seemed everytime I visited these, I would keep finding Wheaties.

HH,
Sandman

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

I don't see a problem. Sandman is right, enjoy the fun. Sometimes you might have the settings changed just a little bit or the batteries are fresher or you work it from a slightly different direction or the soil moisture has changed or....................well you get the idea. HH and enjoy!

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH

Yes, may the Force be with you. :D :D I think you have the right attitude. It is true what you say.

MIrage

Digger Gabe

Oct 19, 2005
Ocala Fl.

I agree with u 100% U make the hobby more interesting i hate to here about the hobby being played out soon they will be no places to hunt thanks for the encouragement

Gabe

ericwt

Feb 8, 2004

Digger Gabe: Don't ever believe that there will be no places to hunt. There will always be places to hunt. People will always loose jewelry and people still to this day will bury caches.

Show me an area that is cleaned out and I will see an area that has been cleared of clad coins and bottle tops. That means I can find old coins and relics.

Most people use their detector for a few weeks- get discoraged and then let their detector gather dust in a closet.

ringding is right, there is unlimited opportunities.

ericwt

dave-enc

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Eastern North Carolina

ringding you are right metal detecting spots are only limited by your imagination, when folks first start in this hobby, they see a lot of sites because they have not developed blinders as to what may or may not be a good site. these seem to develop as folks continue in this hobby. we wish you well in your continued adventures
hh
dave+bobbie

IrishCharlieM

Oct 20, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA

The most enjoyable, relaxing and profitable hobby I have ever known.

Not only the thrill of the hunt and the find. But my son and I love to clean coins, hope for some good dates and grades. We then have the fun of identifying the values and rarities...

Not to mention it provided me a great distraction to help quit smoking....

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You make a really good point. The easy, shallow finds might get tougher here and there, but you'll never run out of places in a lifetime. Even a pounded site still reveals treasures. One old house site can keep a detectorist occupied for months if not years. Yes, I said years. Even after searching it again and again, you'll still find things. If you dig all the "iffy" signals, you'll be at it for a heck of a long time. If your search encompasses relics, jewelry, and old & new coins, you'll have so many opportunities that you won't have enough time to do even a fraction of the possible sites.

There's one site I've hunted again and again, after two or three other detectorists had pounded it thoroughly, yet it still reveals some nice relics and coins. I've found 2 Indian Head cents where other coils have passed over repeatedly. A draped bust large cent, in an area that's been "scrubbed". A 1911 V nickel, sitting there untouched among pulltabs-- I found it during a torrential downpour, because I'm silly like that. I still like to hit this place for the challenge of what it might reveal to me. I am even optimistic when I dig junk, because every piece of junk I dig is one more piece of junk that's out of the way for next time. One more piece of junk that might be masking something good.

Not long ago I've found three of perhaps the best half-dozen iron relics I've ever found, and they were from this hunted-out place. Their age is between 150 and 250 years (not bad for here in the USA!!)... (photos on the way, when they're done being cleaned.) Anyway, to reinforce what you're saying, this is yet another site that will never be truly hunted out.

I also agree with you guys about the attitude. We all get negative about the hobby from time to time, but the answer is to keep getting out there and keep trying.

Who spends the Time,
Makes the Finds.

Happy Hunting,
Chris

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread