Garrett GTI 1500 info wanted

bdhoward

Apr 27, 2011
NW PA
Detector(s) used
Garret GTI 1500/Minelab Safari
Hello folks. I am a newbie to this site and MDing. I recently purchased the Garret GTI 1500 and it is arriving on Monday. Can anyone that has personal experience with this MD provide me with any tips that would optimize my use with this machine? What kind of max depth should I expect? Anything to be aware of? Is this a good MD to use for silver and gold coins/jewelry? Any helpful information will be greatly appreciated! Thank you. :icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
i love mine and the sizing feature is awesome, just saves so much time on not digging non-coin sized objects. i've dug coin sized targets up to 8" (i can get about 9-10" on an air test with coins) bigger objects will get much deeper. when pinpointing the very center hole of the stock 9" imaging coil is the hot spot, just make sure you swing the coil from a couple different angles and keep your coil swings tight while pinpointing to get an accurate sizing image. the GTI is a great series and has treated me well, it's my "goto" machine.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still have my GTI 1500 and it is a decent detector. It is easy to operate and gets good depth. I was hunting a school with a different detector and got a silver reading. Since I wasn't on the grass I decided to cut a plug and dig. After having a one foot hole I went back to car and got out the GTI and used the imaging feature to learn it had to be a manhole cover or sewer pipe as it was way to big.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Well i have the AT Pro and a Garrett GTI 1500 ,.......... To me i find the 1500 to be deeper than the AT Pro And for the Imaging if you are looking for coins & Jewelry............. Just dig all targets at A ,B & C.................... it will save you a lot of digging .................. I have the AT Pro and the Minelab Sovereign.................. But the detector that i "goto" first just like dogpound does .....for my hunts is the GTI 1500.......... And like Sandman says it saves you from digging deep holes for junk........

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NO detector does not respond to junk sometimes because all they do is read the conductivity. A screw cap has about the same conductivity as many coins and can't tell the difference.

When you disc out pull tabs you won't find many gold rings like wedding bands because they read like pull tabs. The use of headphones allows you to hear the weak, deep signals better and also don't announce to everyone within ear shot that a detector guy is about. Keeps the kids away too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions