WANTED! EXPERIENCED TITAN 3000x DETECTORIST!

melnatcat

Mar 9, 2005
Central Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HELP! I can't seem to master my detector. Sure I get hits...know a sure penny, dime, quarter, nickels & pop tabs ring about the same... But the problem....do you dig when the hit goes from 199 to 187 to 135 to 199 to 143 and then maybe to iron. It jumps all over the place, and I am not so sure whether or not to dig. I've pinpointed and dug some 8 x 10 holes...and still nothing! LOL! Usually when it hits about the same in both 'all metal' mode' and 'discrimination' mode, I'll dig. If it is a 'steady hit' in 'all metal' around 27 to 35, then I'll dig, but when it reaches those high numbers I am not so sure. I have found silver, junk rings, pop tabs, aluminum chunks, nails, misc. crap., and all clad. The high bouncing numbers throw me for a loop. Any advice or suggestions? THANK YOU!!!

It will jump on a one hit area....you are right on the nickels, but numbers seem to change just a little bit on sensitivity. The sensitivity probably needs to be reduced. I seem to think when it does that, it is a scattered iron or foil hit (pop can hit by a lawnmower). If it is a nickel, it steadies at nickel/tab. Same for other clad. But what I am questioning, is when it jumps numbers on one hit, do you dig, especially if it hits 199 at 10 inches deep. Batteries are fresh and tight. I'll have to double check the ground balance. I keep it in the preset mode.

Yea, the more I read up on it, it's probably the sensitivity more than the ground balance. You guys have been VERY VERY HELPFUL! I'll try again....and let you know how it goes.

The Melnatcat is back!

Upvote 0

sherpa t

Jan 25, 2005
Ocala florida
Detector(s) used
Titan / Tesoro SLT/ Fisher F5
How often are you having this problem ?? It could be you are over a pipe / storm water colvert that would cause wild readings.
The numbers you are digging at seem off to me, Nickel is 32 , dime 89 quarter 111, top of the scale can be Iron overload.
Is it working normally, and then you get a wild number ?? or is it jumping all the time ? Batterys tight in holder ? cable connections good ? Define a bit more and I'll try to help, look in your manual and read the section about the overload reading.

rmkayak

Dec 6, 2005
Prosperity, SC
melnatcat said:
HELP! I can't seem to master my detector. Sure I get hits...know a sure penny, dime, quarter, nickels & pop tabs ring about the same... But the problem....do you dig when the hit goes from 199 to 187 to 135 to 199 to 143 and then maybe to iron. It jumps all over the place, and I am not so sure whether or not to dig. I've pinpointed and dug some 8 x 10 holes...and still nothing! LOL! Usually when it hits about the same in both 'all metal' mode' and 'discrimination' mode, I'll dig. If it is a 'steady hit' in 'all metal' around 27 to 35, then I'll dig, but when it reaches those high numbers I am not so sure. I have found silver, junk rings, pop tabs, aluminum chunks, nails, misc. crap., and all clad. The high bouncing numbers throw me for a loop. Any advice or suggestions? THANK YOU!!!

The Melnatcat is back!

I am a beginner with this detector and I'm not sure that I can help you. Shamefully, I haven't been detecting in a few months.

Are the bouncing numbers happening in a particular area (piece of land)? Did you check the ground balancing? Are there electrical wires in the area or an underground dog fence?

I do like this detector. I had it all set up and then just handed it to a friend and she found a quarter in less than 15 minutes.

Renee

Stainless Steet Rat

May 15, 2006
I have a Discovery 3300 and they are almost the same I think. Every target I have tried to dig that was reading over 150 was a pipe or a big iron item and it was a lot deeper than the display said. I have never had a coin target bounce much unless it was a very wierd angle or next to some iron junk. If you goto pinpoint mode you should start to hear the diff between a coin sized target vs a pipe. The only time I get 199s targets is when I try to set the ground balance manually or on max sensitivity when the soil is very wet. The .50 coins I have dug up all were reading 131-135. I have never dug up a silver dollar but I air tested a 1885 morgan got a 145 and a 1923 peace dollar reading a 150. I do bounce a lot from RF interference and powerlines sometimes.

OP
OP
melnatcat

melnatcat

Mar 9, 2005
Central Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out again last night...at the local high school. Found junk and clad. Lowered the sensitivity and hunted in discrimination. It helped quite a bit. Also checked the ground balance. Only really wanted to work well on preset. The ground here is really hard & dry now. Hardly any rain all summer...almost a drought. Real hard to dig. Thanks for the info on the numbers to dig on. I try to practice alot in our yard, but it seems to have been a trash pit. It was built in 1917, had a family of 11 ? 13 kids raised here. They are all deceased now, so I can't ask anyone any questions. Just yesterday I dug up some foil wrapped around a turkey leg bone. I find cooking & pie tin foil bits and pieces all over the yard, along with lots of nails. I know the cans hit by the lawnmower were probably my daughters getting a thrill (we live near two liquor establishments). Pop tabs are also plenty. I did find two silver quarters, quite a few wheaties, two indian head pennies, a couple of silver nickels though. Mostly deep (7+inches) steady 'trashy' sounding hits I pursued. When I hunt our yard in all metal, there is a constant 'iron tone' thing happening. The nails. We also had our house sided in the mid 90's, and bits of aluminum siding ring in as dimes. All and all it's been just way too fun doing this yard. As they say, it is never metal detected out! It's good practice ground, that's for sure!

When it goes into the way high numbers, that is when I question digging. I found only one half dollar, and I can't remember what it rang in at. I am going to just have to plant a 'garden' and try to master this thing.

Thanks to all of you for the info. This site and members have always been so helpful!

Melnatcat

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread