Kayaking to Treasure

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sold my kayak a couple of years ago and suddenly I'm starting to miss it again. My kayak use to take me to metal detecting spots that would otherwise be much harder to reach, i.e., old cabin sites, old camp grounds, old resort sites, sand bars, and a lot of different river locations where things tend to collect. But most of all my kayak use to be my transport vehicle into solitude where there's few people around, a lot less noise, and an entire host of awesome sights. If you've never explored the metal detecting possibilities that a good kayak can offer you I strongly recommend you consider one. Miss mine so much I'm suddenly back in the market for another one. They can get into some pretty good hunting & fishing country as well and you can easily pack enough in many of them for a comfortable weekend stay. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a blast on vacation with mine . Put the detector in back and hit a small remote beach and found several old coins and a small gold chain. The beach seemed to be a virgin site . I had a blast. I was planning on going back there but can't make it this year due to work..

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I first got into it many years ago it was more of a getaway vehicle but it wasn't long before I was toting my detector and scoop, mask, fins & snorkel all over the place, couldn't believe some of the things I was finding out in the middle of nowhere, jewelry, old coins, etc. Found several old virgin beaches, all of them small but nearly always productive. I remember a stretch of river that was super shallow, flat limestone bottom with lots of crevises and cuts in it, couldn't believe some of the stuff I was finding in those little treasure traps. Spent a few days hunting an old beach in front of an old fishing camp......didn't look like much but it was certainly worth the trip. :thumbsup:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand your pain. I used a one man Coleman canoe to reach beaches I couldn't get to other wise, but now I wonder if I could get in or out of mine.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
I understand your pain. I used a one man Coleman canoe to reach beaches I couldn't get to other wise, but now I wonder if I could get in or out of mine.

I'm a lot slower now too but I can still "crawl" in and out of one. :laughing7:

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently got my first ever kayak, took it out to a lake a few weeks ago, I didnt fall in...heart be still.. I had a blast, sooo, I am thinking the same as what you posted... get to smaller islands, sandbars, do a lil fishing, and of course, lets not forget this one... killer crabbing season coming up...I will fill my freezer with fresh blue claws... nothing like having a huge bowl full of pan fried crabs in the middle of winter...mmm mmm good.

wildman4910

Sep 1, 2010
Cocoa, FL
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I have been wanting one too as I know of several Islands in the river here that are/have been party central and are accessible only by boat.

I know there has to be some goodies in the sand.

Hope you find one.

~~Happy Hunting~~

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just keep in mind that all kayaks are not the same when it comes to stability, drag, comfort, and tracking. There are many resources on the net that explain the pros & cons of the various kayak designs so you might want to do a little research before you buy. Like anything else, buying the right kayak can make all the difference in the world.

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigscoop said:
Just keep in mind that all kayaks are not the same when it comes to stability, drag, comfort, and tracking. There are many resources on the net that explain the pros & cons of the various kayak designs so you might want to do a little research before you buy. Like anything else, buying the right kayak can make all the difference in the world.

Amen! My brother has four different kayaks and they are all different. He has a couple that I can't get to go straight no matter how hard I try. Of course, he can use these same kayaks to make circles around me.

On another note, I've never tried metal detecting along the rivers. Aren't these areas going to be mostly private land? I can understand detecting on a sand bar out in the middle of a river. But pulling off to the side implies detecting someone's property and I don't see how you would be able to get permission to do that since no one is likely to be around at the time. I'd be even more worried if someone WAS around and was carrying a gun!

Do you guys just ignore the idea of getting permission or is there something I'm missing about the way property rights work on rivers?

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mts,
Your question about property rights along rivers isn't that simple to answer because things can vary depending on where you're at. And the laws, this is an area you really want to school yourself on in the areas you'll be visiting. The laws can even vary from one waterway to the next in the same county.

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks bigscoop. Do you have any recommendations on where to go to learn the laws? Should I start with the local DNR or someplace else?

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was my plan when I bought my kayak. I'm just afraid I might flip it and lose my excal in the river. Anyone know of any racks that attatch inside to secure your detector until you get where one is going?

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
s.c.shooter said:
This was my plan when I bought my kayak. I'm just afraid I might flip it and lose my excal in the river. Anyone know of any racks that attatch inside to secure your detector until you get where one is going?

What kayak did you purchase?

wildman4910

Sep 1, 2010
Cocoa, FL
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
mts,
The river area around me has spoil islands from old channel dredging that people party on in the summer, on private property always seek permission from the land owners.

~~Happy Hunting~~

DIGDIG

Nov 23, 2009
Space Coast/Florida
Detector(s) used
WHITES SURF P.I.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I purchase a 12' fiberglass canoe from someone for $120. with a specific hunt in mind, a small Island with a past.

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On my excal, I was thinking of getting one of those noodles ( for pools and such) slicing it on one side, and putting it on the lower part of the straight shaft, in case I flip over, least it would float, along with a wrist attachment to the paddle as well.. figured it wouldnt hurt. also using the same noodle to wrap around the basket when I catch the crabs..mmmm blue claws right up my alley.. and several small islands I know were used back in the days for picnics and such, figured it wouldnt hurt to try.. and have fun at the same time, but always remember safety first...thats my plan.

Cherokee_Kidd

Feb 16, 2010
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to have a small paddle boat that I used to get to sites that couldn't be accessed by road.

lonesomebob

Jul 14, 2005
Napoleon MI 49201
Detector(s) used
Garrett
I have an elderly foldboat kyak, I first knew it when I was 10 have no idea how old it was then, and I am 80. still in good shape .Plus two canoes both old

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
misril22dean said:
Sounds very sad that bigscoop is missing his kayak.Get new one.I understand what attachment you had with that kayak.Was that your first one.

No. I've had several over the years. Use to do a lot of touring and camping with them in various places. I think my first kayak was Sada.

goshi

Tenderfoot
Feb 12, 2008
Now days there are two types of yaks. Sit in and sit on top (sot). Sit in means what it says, you are in the yak enclosed except for the cockpit opening. These are dryer to an extent. Hotter in the summer months. Good to carry gear for day or extended trip. Sot, totally open, except for the storage compartment. YOU will get wet.....however very easy to get in and out of. Cold in winter and sun gets you in the summer.
Get a longer keel 10 ft plus for ease of tracking also good for weight capacity. The little white water yacks are just for that, white water. ALWAYS wear life vest....tie your machine to the yak. I hunt remote /old swim sites, lakes rivers. Also fly fish out of....My own yak is an Old Town Loon 113 11ft 3in. Very stable and carry 325 lbs payload. Many types/ makers out there..........
In the Republic of Texas you can float any water. However you cannot go above the normal high water mark on private property. Open up and new world for yourselves!!!!

BBay.......air mail me sum them sand bugs.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions