Any Opinions on MDing Sanibel/Captiva area?MDing on Cayo Costa Allowed??

theseeker

Mar 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's Surf PI Pro Dual Field/Minelab Sovereign Elite/Goldbug II/Goldbug Pro
I live in Palm Beach county on the east coast of Florida and have been considering a west coast of Florida MDing adventure. I have never md'd there and have been wanting to. I know asking this is like asking you to invite an outsider into your hunting areas. I wish someone would. If you want to respond but don't want to broadcast on the board send me a PM. Appreciate any info you guys and gals would share.

Pete Rosario(theseeker)

Upvote 0

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't live in Florida, but I've hunted both coasts on vacation. I've been to Sanibel a lot and love it, but not for detecting.

I'd hunt the Gold Coast since there seems to be a lot more rich folks wearing gold, and denser beach populations.

Sanibel is deservedly famous for shelling, its true treasure.

Hint: hot shelling areas are mud flats; wear old tennis shoes to protect your feet and look out for sharks in the muddy water.

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Tellico Plains, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Several Fisher, Tesoro, White's and Garrett's
The Sanibel/Captiva Islands off Southwest Florida have a very rich history full of pirate lore, to be sure.

I lived in Lee County (Fort Myers and vicinity) for more than 25 years and as a child learned quite a lot about the local history.

For instance: The island of Captiva received that name because pirates would take their female "captives" there to keep them from escaping while they (the pirates) were gone on raids in the area.

I have no clue what wikipedia or any other online site will say about it, but that is the history the locals relate, as well as what we were taught in school.

Hope this helps!

Sky Pilot

OP
OP
T

theseeker

Mar 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's Surf PI Pro Dual Field/Minelab Sovereign Elite/Goldbug II/Goldbug Pro
Bumluck, thanks for the tip on the gold coast area and the shelling tips. Appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Sky Pilot, I had read about the captive women in a book about Gasparilla the pirate. Interesting stuff. Known pirate treasure found in the area and possibly some still up for grabs to the lucky ones. Thanks for the response.

Pete

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Tellico Plains, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Several Fisher, Tesoro, White's and Garrett's
No problem Pete! :icon_thumleft:

I think Cayo Costa is off limits due to Caloosa Indian mounds if I'm not mistaken, but it wouldn't hurt to double check.

The thing about Captiva is that even if you don't find the "big one" there, there's always a good chance you'll find a site where the pirates camped, and that would be a great source of 17th to 18th

century relics and coins. Definitely worth a look, I mean, who knows? Just keep in mind when you're doing research or whatever, that the beach was about 100 yards further out than it is now.

I wish you the best of luck whatever you decide and happy hunting!

Richard

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions