"Vintage" Metal Detectors?

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
"Vintage" Metal Detectors?

Yes, it's one of those Metal Detector advice threads. I tried to do a thread search for this information, but the term "liberty" seems to be present in very many threads... Apologies in advance to all you guys who have seen 1000 posts like this, but I would really appreciate any and all input.

Anyway, here is my situation - I am after coins and jewelry mainly. I may dig relics one day but now I just want to cut my teeth on pocket change. I am also on a budget, so the three models I am considering are kind of old. I would like to get a new ACE 250 or all the other models I have seen mentioned here, but I just can't spend that much at the moment.

The three models are:

White's Liberty 2 - $50.00
Heathkit Cointrack - $46.00
Fisher 1220X - $100.00

All are currently working properly - or so I have been told.

I was just wondering if anyone here had any experience with these older models and which one I should chose to best suit my purposes.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: "Vintage" Metal Detectors?

Of these only the White's and the Fisher 1220 are OK.

http://www.losttreasure.com/?q=content/archives/whites-liberty-di

I couldn't find the field test link for the 1220 but can tell you it is a decent detector and better than the Liberty. However the Ace 250 or entry models from Tesoro are much better and lighter weight.

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000

Thank you for the advice sandman. The only reasons I was considering the Heathkit were:

(a) it has a sweet silver dollar graphic on it
(b) Heathkit made some pretty good tube amps back in the day

What is your opinion of the entry level 'Bounty Hunter' models?

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Out of those choices, the 1220X, and it's not even close (I use a vintage Fisher in the 1200 family- 1266x- for relics and its a beast)

Sounds like you're still in the 'teeth cutting' phase of MD'ing- you're doing it right. An inexpensive, vintage machine with a strong performance level will let you decide if the hobby is you or not, without having to worry that maybe you didn't like MD'ing because your machine wasn't performing up to snuff.

If the hobby takes, your cheap, classic machine makes a good backup or beater and you can upgrade as you please, if you please. If the hobby doesn't take, you aren't takin' a whuppin' trying to sell off a higher end machine.

Another one worth looking at is the Tesoro Compadre. They're $150-$160 brand new, lifetime warranty, light as a feather, real performers and if you decide to explore MD'ing further, the Compadre will still remain relevant in your MD arsenal, even after you upgrade to more expensive units.

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000

I think I will be purchasing the Fisher sometime next week if it is still available. Is that price fair?

Thanks again for the advice you all have given this MD noob.

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If you can swing it, I'd go for a Fisher F2 or a White's Coinmaster Pro. They're both about $200 brand new and will be MORE than sufficient to get your feet wet. The older models you're looking at are heavy, outdated & might break within a few hunts. Get one of the two mentioned above (I'd get the F2) new or used and just go out and start finding stuff :thumbsup:

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

...New detectors can break too......you probably already decided and bought something by now..but anyway/anyhow...I would like to recommend the Whites 4900....there are a few different versions but the Blue Box one is relatively cheap and is a sleeper and a powerhouse....The one that I have was purchased for $50.00 plus shipping.....Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions