titan metal detectors

Willy

Well, can't tell you much except that it's a bounty hunter. I think it's basically a clone of the Radio Shack top end detector. RS had theirs on sale & I tried it out.. wasn't impressed. I've got to contend with real tough soil here, so that's a factor. I also really detested the fact that when switching out of disc. to pinpoint in AM, all the disc. settings were lost & had to be re-entered. It also doesn't retain last mode settings after powering down. ...Willy.? PS. Have a look at the new Garrett 250 OR really look closely at a used detector.

B

BIG BAD JOHN

Mike: I hunt with the RadioShack Discovery 3300 (near-clone to the Titan 3000XD) and really like mine. I wanted a fourth audio tone, VDI and TID, and an automatic and manual ground balance control. The RS3300 offered all of this for a normal selling price of $299.99, but I got mine on sale for $249.99. I added in the optional 3-year warranty for $59.99 and had the upper rod that comes standard on the unit changed out ($20 plus shipping) to a Time Ranger upper rod which has a larger arm cup and a locking ring to stabilize the lower rod which limits coil falsing from a wobbly lower rod. I also purchased a 4" Gold Nugget coil for trashy sites and the 10" Magnum coil for a bit more depth in less trashy sites. Both work quite well on the unit.

Essentially, when Kellyco started selling these detectors under the Titan name, they basically incorporated the changes into the unit that I paid extra for. They Titan 3000 comes with the upgraded upper rod assembly and has a 5-year warranty. If you did things the way I had to with the 3300, you would spend about $280 plus tax. With the Titan you get the extra stuff and two more years of warranty. If the Titan would have been available when I bought mine, I would have opted for it instead.

For me, the unit performs quite well in the moderate soil I hunt in here in Central Mississippi and it did surprisingly well on my one trip to the beaches at Pensacola, Florida in the dry sand, wet sand, and surf. It would hunt over the wet/dry sand line, and would hunt well submerged in the surf, but became unstable working in and out of the surf (waves). The fact that it doesn't store the last setup when switching back to All-Metal (motion all-metal mode) or Discriminate (also a motion mode) from the PinPoint (no-motion all-metal mode) really isn't too much of a pain since it is so easy to set up. I really do like mine. I have found it easy to use and it has reasonable depth as I've dug dimes as deep as 7" measured depthy in my soil with the standard 8" coil operating at the default sensitivity setting. Hope this helps, it really is a good little rig for not a lot of money. BBJ

B

BIG BAD JOHN

OOPS! The line in my post above:

If you did things the way I had to with the 3300, you would spend about $280 plus tax.

should have read:

If you did things the way I had to with the 3300, you would spend about $380 plus tax.

My point was that the Kellyco rig is only $20 more but includes an extra 2-years of warranty...well worth the extra expense. BBJ

I

imograss

I have the 3000XD . I've had it since Oct. and have found lots of clad and 3 silvers. It works great. It's dead on on the pinpointing, it's very light and uses 2, 9 volt batteries. I got it from Kellyco with accessories and 5 yr warranty. It worked great in and around salt water to. Hope this helps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread