Sorry, Another DFX vs Explorer 2 Thread

I

imograss

I have been on many forums and hate to be the one to ask the same old questions. I have used the search function and read many interesting topics. I am going to purchase the DFX or the Explorer 2 very soon. Both have lots of nice features, and steep learning curves. I know most people are brand loyal and whatever they have is the best no matter what. So my general question is about the weight and sweep speed of each. I read that the Explorer is slow and the DFX is adjustable. Both are priced in close proximity. I am in Tennessee and will be mostly searching old homesteads and the occasional swimming hole area. Most of these places are littered with trash, so the ease od discrimination is helpful. I havent been detecting very long,(since Oct.) I currently use a Titan 3000XD (First Texas Inst./ Bounty Hunter/ Radio Shack). I have had great results with it. I have found lots of clad, 3 silvers (1941 Merc.,1961Quarter,1961Dime), a few Wheat pennys, A cival war bullet ect. I have always had a problem being content so I want the best I can afford and keep mine as a backup for the wife, or to introduce others to the hobby/ addiction. Any comments will be appreciated!
Thanks
Tim

Upvote 0

Zeke

Oct 26, 2004
Jackson Creek,NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
On the Explorer subject........I've heard that the original Explorers are better than the Explorer 2's....something about a software issue.

Having said that........I (still) have a chance to get an Explorer from a guy at work for $500 that has barely been used. Im having a hard time committing to spending $500 on a detector as I am the only one bringing the money home for my wife and 2 kids. But it would be better than the BH Pioneer 101 that I have now.

I havent got to lay my hands on it yet....mainly cause I know Id have to have it....but it looks on the heavy side. Is it...or does it just look heavy?

OP
OP
I

imograss

From what I've read it looks as if you need a college degree to operate the Explorer. I am curious about the weight of both. I am a landscaper so I'm swinging a weedeater alot. I also have rotator cuff problems so I go next week to get all that checked out. The bad thing is I will not be able to detect, fish , play guitar, and work. I can deal with the work issue. I went to a local hobby store today to demo the DFX but they only had the prisms. The DFX are special order only. I will more than likely buy from Kellyco,but am open to suggestions. Thanks for the comments.

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own 2 DFX's one I use for back up just in case, As for the Minelab product I have not used one of them, but the Minelab I do have is extremly heavy (Sauvergn) and I'm told they all are like that.
The DFX on the other hand is very well balanced, and in 2 frequency mode does a very good job on
just about all types of hunting. I never found a gold Ring on the beach with the Sauvergn but
have many many with the DFX.
I would not mind useing one of those Explorers to see and feel it but I can't justify that
kind of money.
DFX's are cheaper through Kellyco, but of course a local dealer can give you the ropes.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Richard

P.S.
Anyone looking to hunt in the NC area I'm from Charlotte looking for a few other guys to hunt
with in this state or S.C.

OP
OP
I

imograss

Thanks John57/ Thats the kind of info Im looking for.

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Hey Zeke if that friend at work is selling an EX 11 for $500 buy it now as you can readily resell it for a lot more than $500.

I used to own an Explorer 11 and all you need to do is visit some Explorer forums and view their finds to see how successfull this detector is.
Deep and excellent in iron and good target ID(Yes the deeper you go the less reliable ID-but that's par for the course) But slow sweep speed. Yes a long learning curve for most. As I had a long time in the field the learning curve was short for me.

However my main complaint about the Explorers(besides the cost and advertising) was they were heavy and poorly balanced. This is a big issue with a lot of the older guys and some use a bungee cord. Some just can't use this machine for long periods of time because of the weight/unbalanced nature of the machine.

Actually, as this is winter(I have 8 inches of snow on the ground where I am working) perhaps your best bet is to be patience and see what will be introduced before next spring. Who knows perhaps a new "hot" detector with better technology will be introduced? Detector manufacturers do not announce the introduction of a new model in advance as they feel it would hurt current detector sales. The Quattro actually got a couple of weeks notice as one dealer inadvertently spilled the beans when he was not supposed to. Nothing like spending major bucks for a top of the line detector and then have it's replacement? introduced a month later. Actually the best values are after a new detector is introduced. There is usually an incredible amount of"Hype" and accordingly a lot of sales. Then when the detector does not live up to it's "hype" a lot of these detectors with great prices come on the marketplace.

George

Zeke

Oct 26, 2004
Jackson Creek,NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
bakergeol said:
Hey Zeke if that friend at work is selling an EX 11 for $500 buy it now as you can readily resell it for a lot more than $500.

George.....Its not the Explorer 2...its just the Explorer. Its a few yrs old but hasnt been used much at all. I would like to have it but dont have $500 to spend on a detector at the moment....although another buddy at work said the owner would probally take payments. The only thing holding me back is what everyone is saying about the weight/balance issue. Im not up there in yrs yet....but Im not young either. My past years of working on assembly lines has took its toll on my arms and shoulders and find myself switching hands with the lightweight Pioneer I have now.

I wonder if you could rig up a strap.....sort of like a weedeater harness or something to bear some of the weight and still be functional? Might have to give that a try.

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Hey Zeke
They make quite a few harnesses for metal detectors to take the weight off.There are a lot of them out there. Even Kellyco- a sponsor here has several- detector harnesses- also E-Z swing. Check their accessories section.

Good luck George

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a hipmount available for the Exp and Exp II if it helps. Someone was talking about it here a couple months ago.

OP
OP
I

imograss

I ordered the DFX today. Thanks for all the replies.

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure you will be happy, just some small advised from experiance,
I never use the dual freq. "Best data" mode it gives a lot of false signals,
I used only the dual freq. "Coralate" mode as it checks a target against both freq's
and if both give back the same type of signal you will get a good sound, but not on trash that
returns two different signals. this has been a very succesful setting for me.
Also be aware that in this mode you might get a good signal over one spot but when pinpointing
it pinpoints in another close by, this is normally a reaaly good target being masked by a large
pieve of iron, you must dig the iron first then refine your target and dig that...
I have recovered several really nice things in hunted out places on signals like this and my
hunting partners just get an iron signal..
goodluck..
Richard

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
oh i just love misinformation! here's some more...
don't buy the EX II - that'll leave much more in the ground
for those of us who do...? :)

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with ocean. there are getting to be too many Minelabs out there already? ;D

MDnoob

Apr 23, 2003
Yeah ... when I found a piece of copper the size of a pen spring 10" down, that was just an accident...
Don't get a Minelab! ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread