soccer fields and baseball diamonds

playdan1

May 18, 2011
Sandown, NH
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Could someone help me to understand better why these areas are so good to hunt? I understand because of time about the older things being further down in the ground before the fields were dedicated to those sports and I go to fields a lot, but make a beeline to the bleacher areas because that's where I can see parents jumping up and down cheering on their kids and dropping change. Or the area around the canteen if the park has one, but on the fields? Baseball and soccer players don't have pockets in their uniforms. I can see them maybe getting sweaty and a loose-fitting ring slipping off a finger and being stepped on while a ball is being chased by cleat-clad feet. How does it all get there? Am I misunderstanding the posts and articles i've been reading? Do the authors mean the sidelines? Or do they really mean the fields? :dontknow:

Upvote 0

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I find most coins where they sit on the sidelines. Frank

N2CU

Feb 13, 2011
Orchard Park, Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher F70, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a little known soccer field and I'm getting most of my coins at center field. They're all over the place but seem more concentrated there. Looking at old maps I see that spot was the outfield of a ball diamond in years gone by. The only thing I can figure is that young people gather there after games for whatever and lose their valuables. I'm finding more junk along the sidelines where people watch the games and drop their gum wrappers, pull tabs, etc.

I usually search by starting at one corner of the field and work across diagonally to the other corner. If I start hitting a concentration of coins I'll stay there until I get tired of digging. :D

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Where I'm at, some fields are used almost exclusively by organized teams; these usually have a good amount coins on the sidelines but not much on the field.

Others, especially in smaller parks and playgrounds, see a lot of use from the neighborhood kids; these will have more coins on the field, however sidelines can still be productive.

joeman

Mar 19, 2011
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro, BH 840 VLF-TR
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Soccer Fields have been better to me so far than that of Baseball Fields!

Typically I'll be looking for JEWELRY in the fields, but I'll also find some coins. The last soccer field a buddy and I did, had 3 rings and well over Twelve Bucks in Clad (easier to collect those amounts up here... I got $8.83 myself!) in only 8 hours between the both of us. For me, I think most of the Jewelry is found close to the Goals, but mileage will vary. The sidelines are great, but a lot of players warm up in the field with their jackets on and things fall out all the time... Anywhere there is 'physical contact', diving catches and the like, you're likely to find 'things'.

Sidelines are GREAT after Tournaments and having said that,... YOUR timing is EVERYTHING! Early bird gets the worm and it's VERY common (like today for me...) to find pocket spills sitting on the surface of the grass! It's unbelievable how easy it is to 'increase' your chances of a decent find if you do a little 'homework' beforehand, such as Tournament Dates, Times, or just 'noticing' busy places as you drive/walk by.... Since it's free, I would take in part of a Game or Two at the Beginning and End of any given game to see where the players warm up and take off warm-up clothes, etc... All of the former will help with your hunts....

Remember too that the Cleats, Golf Carts and Aerators will 'push and jam' coins and jewelery into the ground VERY quickly and the 'Field Areas' tend to be far less full of PULL TABS!

Cheers, ;D

steve from ohio

Aug 1, 2008
I have found lots of rings and jewelry at baseball fields. Seems that there are lots of people who use the baseball fields that wear jewelry. Often the ball diamonds have been around for a lot longer than soccer fields so you have a better chance to find silver on the ball diamonds. Back in the older days, baseball diamonds were often also used as fairgrounds. I have found lots of silver at old ball diamonds. They are usually overgrown fields but you can find them by the old rusty backstop fencing that is often still up but rusted. I find more in the outfield than anywhere. Not sure why but the outfield is where the gold usually is.

Parents also bring their kids to the diamonds and practice with them often losing their rings and bling while running in the grass. Finding a gold ring in the grass by eye is really tough. Especially in tall grass. Almost impossible. Their ring falls off and is lost with no way of finding it.

Baseball used to be the national pastime but lately the ball diamonds have been empty or have been replaced by soccer fields. The yuppies bring their kids to soccer and sit in the grass on the sidelines. I have found only a few gold rings at soccer fields. I find more at baseball fields.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread