Best Metal Detector For Around $250.00?

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Well, D-Day is almost here. After haunting treasurenet for a while I am finally going to take the plunge.

I was going to try and get a used "vintage" MD for around $100, but I just let go of some scrap gold I had been sitting on for a while and now I have a $250 budget to work with.

I am interested in digging for coins and jewelry and I already have a long list of nearby historic locations and old homesteads picked out. I don't need a unit that is built for beach or underwater use. I also have a pretty nice pair of Sony headphones and a 1/4"-1/2" plug adapter. I need a spade/digging tool too. I will eventually get one of those hand held pin pointers as well, but for the moment I am looking for the best model of metal detector for my $250 - NEW OR USED

If you are a vendor that posts here, time to state your case as to why I should deal with you. I just sold some gold so I can find some more gold and this unit needs to pay for itself as quickly as possible. All vendors can now begin fawning over me and pitching woo for my cash. (kidding, kidding)
:laughing9:

Advice ------ please give me some. Thanks fellas.

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
ah whites machines are well known to "love" iron --the delta 4000 has a preset "ground balance" but by downward adjustment of it sensitivy levels most likely will not see the very high background mineral levels * thus it will not "ring up" (false)--- however there is a the gamma 6000 model that is "manually adjustible" as far as "ground balance" goes -- it cost more (of course) but in very rough mineral rich areas --having a "fully adjustible" ground balance type machine is often the key to being able to detect anywhere you want to --powerlines will still screw with detectors --even fully adjustible ones -- often lowering the sensitivty levels will work that way the detector does not pick up the electrical power "bleed- off" from the powerlines which will mess with the detectors "eletrical feild" it produce's to find metal with

many folks run their machines very "hot" or set upon on highly sensitive settings in a vain attempt to get "MAXIMUM DEPTH" -- doing that can make a machine very prone to falsing as it will be quite "touchy"-- the term "ground balanced" is seldom properly understood -- it means setting up the machine so that it puts out the "maximum signal" that the ground conditions will fully accept (thus getting the maximum "allowible" depth for the ground conditions with the detector your using )--- pumping or should I say --attempting to pump more signal into the ground that it can accept due to mineral make up and other "conditions" actually hurts rather than helps ones detection depth range --as the excess signal causes problems that hinder you.

its a lot like listening to a stereo at full blast vs having it at a "correct" level --you might get more "noise" at full blast but for "best" sound say 3 /4 ths might be better.

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
The first site I had planned on working is the local boarding house my family used to own (my 2nd cousin still owns it). My grandfather grew up there. It is right downtown next to the RR tracks and train depot. Probably built in the late 1800's. Travelers from all over the South would stay there while passing through or for extended periods of time. It was fully operational up until the mid 80's.

The yard is made up of Georgia red clay, and there are lines running across the street near the front of the house. This really has me bummed because I'm pretty confident this site is going to give up some coins...

boardinghouse.jpg

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Dont expect to make valuable finds right away. Its easy to get discouraged. I know people that gave up after a few tries and now their MD sits in the closet. Its a hobby not a quick way to make money, even though you can sell your finds. I would imagine the coinroll hunters find more silver than I ever did detecting but there are too many people doing it now.

Sorry I cant help you with the red clay. I have no experienced with it. I know the Ace 250 is bad in wet sand.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
hombre_de_plata_flaco said:
The first site I had planned on working is the local boarding house my family used to own (my 2nd cousin still owns it). My grandfather grew up there. It is right downtown next to the RR tracks and train depot. Probably built in the late 1800's. Travelers from all over the South would stay there while passing through or for extended periods of time. It was fully operational up until the mid 80's.

The yard is made up of Georgia red clay, and there are lines running across the street near the front of the house. This really has me bummed because I'm pretty confident this site is going to give up some coins...
Every old house has silver. And it sounds like a great place to find stuff. I wouldnt worry too much about the power lines. The red clay I dont know.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I'm not trying to "make money", I just want to dig cool stuff.
Thats a great attitude. My friend read all the treasure books and expected to get rich overnite. Now his detector sits in the closet. He didnt make money and he never took the time to learn.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
often areas like this can be worked -- you just "adjust" the sensitivity levels accordingly if using a "preset ground balance type machine" --if one starts to get "falsing" --bbeepp beeep beeep -- lower the power out put /sensitivity level very slowly a bit at a time till it "calms" down --as soon as it does stop. -- & continue hunting.

the same goes for working around salt water beaches with a preset "ground balance" type machine as well --

note most "low cost machines" are "preset ground balance" normally speaking

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Hit that front yard where children play. Hit the driveway where people step out of the car. Hit under the old clothes line. That home has silver coins guaranteed. It may also have modern trash pop tops, zincolns and such.

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
I have never sold any of my coins and probably wouldn't unless I was starving. Jewelry I would sell in a heartbeat, though...

I'm not some starry-eyed fool who just watched a White's commercial and thinks he's going to get rich overnight. I'm just an aging hick looking for a more peaceful and productive way to spend my spare time than the foolishness I took part in when I was younger. I'm also finishing up a history degree (2nd time around in college) so I want to dig for the historical aspect as well. I love doing research.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I have never sold any of my coins and probably wouldn't unless I was starving. Jewelry I would sell in a heartbeat, though...

I'm not some starry-eyed fool who just watched a White's commercial and thinks he's going to get rich overnight. I'm just an aging hick looking for a more peaceful and productive way to spend my spare time than the foolishness I took part in when I was younger. I'm also finishing up a history degree (2nd time around in college) so I want to dig for the historical aspect as well. I love doing research.
Cool. :icon_thumright: My friend was. He thought he would find gold and make money right away. I love history and finding things. Of course I also like gold. My friend could care less about history he only wanted money. I told him he would be discouraged, Bad attitude. His MD sits in the closet now.

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
ivan salis said:
that place has got silver --you bet . :icon_thumright:

I'm going to attempt to circumvent the "I'll split whatever I find with you" routine by bribing my cousin with some old Elvis records I have. She really LOVES Elvis so there shouldn't be a problem.

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
ivan salis said:
often areas like this can be worked -- you just "adjust" the sensitivity levels accordingly if using a "preset ground balance type machine" --if one starts to get "falsing" --bbeepp beeep beeep -- lower the power out put /sensitivity level very slowly a bit at a time till it "calms" down --as soon as it does stop. -- & continue hunting.

the same goes for working around salt water beaches with a preset "ground balance" type machine as well --

note most "low cost machines" are "preset ground balance" normally speaking

Should I toss out or bury a few silver Roosevelt's just to test it out in the red clay?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
greed and thinking "fast and easy money" are the hallmark of a person who buys a detector and quicklly finds out its a "pipe dream" for get rich quick and easy types.--- some times--- great deals on detectors can be had by buying these folks machines that sit in their closets. :wink: :icon_thumright:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
metal detectors are highly sensitive machines -- in some high mineral areas they are in fact too sensitive for their own good --since they pick up all the excess high mineral levels in the ground and read it as a "wall" of metal --thus beep beep beeep --non stop---- to stop the machines "over reaction" to the high mineral level one must -- either be able to "manually adjust its mineral "ground balance level" or if one has a factory "preset" level type ground balance machine --one must make the machine less "touchy" by lowering its amount of power being out putted / which lowers how sensitive it is (lowering the power /sensitivity level) --then it will NOT then pick up the background minerals as it will be less "touchy" -- while not ideal --it can make a otherwize --unworkible spot into a workible spot .

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Thanks for all this advice guys. Keep it up please. I feel like I'm already one step ahead of the game before my detector even arrives.

So, basically if I get out there and it starts going wild in the red clay, I need to just dial down the sensitivity until it "calms down"?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
yep -with a "preset" type ground balance machine --if one encounter a lot of falsing issues *beep beep beep --typical causes are --high mineral zones --or high power lines (electric bleed off from em)-- in both cases making the machine LESS SENSITIVE will often cure the issue * --lose a bit of depth by doing so --BUT its a trade off --since the machine will now be usible. --in some very extreme cases it might not work thankfully these cases are somewhat rare.

DevilDog812

Nov 3, 2010
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
what did you end up buying? i have the Delta 4000 and i love it! :wink:
my house is also sitting atop clay (we used to dig it up, mold it, and bake it in the oven when we were kids :laughing7:)
i do notice that it starts reading it if i have the sensitivity all the way up, but if i turn it down to about half-way, then it gets rid of it.
i purchased mine from KellyCo (http://www.kellycodetectors.com/teknetics/delta_buy.htm) and they have been a huge help!
for clay, i would not waste the time with the plastic hand tool that comes with it. that think would have problems shoveling sand :laughing7: i would buy the gator digging tool from their discounts page http://www.kellycodetectors.com/offers/kellyco_discounts.php

hope this helps you and good luck :icon_thumright:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
the delta 4000 for $279 now comes from kellyco with a metal digger using the opition package #1 as well as a pin pointer :icon_thumright: -- like I said if the clay bothers it --just lower the sensitivity level a bit --until it calms down .

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
I think I am leaning toward the Delta now. I already have some headphones so I am going to go w/the package that has the digger and pinpointer. The check from the refinery should be here sometime next week and I will be making the purchase as soon as it arrives.

DevilDog - I am assuming you are a Marine. Thank you for your service as well as your MD advice. My stepfather was a Devil Dog as well. Served in Vietnam and later in the Rhodesian Bush War in the Rhodesian Light Infantry. Oorah!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread