Best Metal Detector For Around $250.00?

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Well, D-Day is almost here. After haunting treasurenet for a while I am finally going to take the plunge.

I was going to try and get a used "vintage" MD for around $100, but I just let go of some scrap gold I had been sitting on for a while and now I have a $250 budget to work with.

I am interested in digging for coins and jewelry and I already have a long list of nearby historic locations and old homesteads picked out. I don't need a unit that is built for beach or underwater use. I also have a pretty nice pair of Sony headphones and a 1/4"-1/2" plug adapter. I need a spade/digging tool too. I will eventually get one of those hand held pin pointers as well, but for the moment I am looking for the best model of metal detector for my $250 - NEW OR USED

If you are a vendor that posts here, time to state your case as to why I should deal with you. I just sold some gold so I can find some more gold and this unit needs to pay for itself as quickly as possible. All vendors can now begin fawning over me and pitching woo for my cash. (kidding, kidding)
:laughing9:

Advice ------ please give me some. Thanks fellas.

Upvote 0

alfonzo

Greenie
Mar 22, 2010
Meadview, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro ST, Gold Bug Pro, Garrett CSI 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hombre_de_plata_flaco said:
BornOnFire said:
Hombre'
Please excuse my Noobness, but, where can a man find a map of Google Earth with all of those nice mine sites mapped out such as the one you posted a screen shot of above? That's awesome!

I found all those screenshots in an old post here in the Georgia section @ T-Net. If I can find the thread again, I would ask that particular poster how he got them. I just lucked up that the placer mine and gold belt maps were GA.

alfonzo said:
Hombre, if your still looking at this posting, be glad your in a gold bearing zone, take your detector but also a gold pan and shovel and pan some of that gold out of a stream, its as much fun as metal detecting. If you see bedrock exposed use the detector for the nuggets. I'm currently in the Philippines and cant wait to get back to the states for some treasure hunting.

alan

My brother and I are considering doing a little panning. We have a creek that runs through my back yard. Probably will hit that one first. Duke's Creek - the location they found the first HUGE nugget that sparked the GA Gold Rush - is about 15 min. from here. Dalonega and Templeton Reid mints are also located within 20 minutes drive.

Growing up in this area, all the "Old Timers" told me this area was "mined out" - no more gold in the ground. After hanging out on this forum for a while that statement appears to be false.

I hope you are enjoying your time in the Philippines. I had considered retiring there. Be on the lookout for old "Philippines under US Sovereignty" paper currency during your stay. That stuff can be worth some $$$. I'll take some if you can find any in circulation or curiosity shops down there.

Is this something i might be looking for? 1922 Thanks for the tip, i would have never thought about it. alan

Attachments

• victory 1p front-600.jpg
    victory 1p front-600.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 423
OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
alfonzo said:
Is this something i might be looking for? 1922 Thanks for the tip, i would have never thought about it. alan

Yup... That is a 1944 "Victory" Note. Check out the familiar looking Treasury seal in blue on the right. We printed their $$$ from 1903-1949.

The "modern" size notes that we currently use were actually modeled after the Philippine notes. We were using the larger "Horse Blanket" sized notes, but the smaller Philippine bills that we had been printing up for them proved to be so popular that we eventually switched to that size in 1928.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread