Best Metal Detector For Around $250.00?

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Well, D-Day is almost here. After haunting treasurenet for a while I am finally going to take the plunge.

I was going to try and get a used "vintage" MD for around $100, but I just let go of some scrap gold I had been sitting on for a while and now I have a $250 budget to work with.

I am interested in digging for coins and jewelry and I already have a long list of nearby historic locations and old homesteads picked out. I don't need a unit that is built for beach or underwater use. I also have a pretty nice pair of Sony headphones and a 1/4"-1/2" plug adapter. I need a spade/digging tool too. I will eventually get one of those hand held pin pointers as well, but for the moment I am looking for the best model of metal detector for my $250 - NEW OR USED

If you are a vendor that posts here, time to state your case as to why I should deal with you. I just sold some gold so I can find some more gold and this unit needs to pay for itself as quickly as possible. All vendors can now begin fawning over me and pitching woo for my cash. (kidding, kidding)
:laughing9:

Advice ------ please give me some. Thanks fellas.

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
you might want to look at the TEKNETICS delta 4000 - $279 * at kellyco -- light in weight --simple to use --decent depth -- it has a 0 to 99 numbers type display to help better ID the type of metal find you found --the more slots or numbers the finer it can sort the find . --it also can be "notched" to ignore common trash and unwanted type items * although no machine is a "perfect' sorter since some trash items have a similar "electronic conductivity " reading as "good" items do. -- a numbers type detector allows for a bit finer sorting --so while you will still get some trash --overall you will most likely dig less trash in general by proper use of discrimation , and a fair bit of practice.

good news -- for the $279 --if you pick the delta 4000 and pick "gimme package"option #1 --- you will get a fairly nice pin pointer-- a decent metal trowel type digger with a so so type belt shealth holder * a "life time" folding lock back type pocket knife * --the "free" headphones suck but --you got that issue "fixed" already :icon_thumright: - a 2 pocket trash / treasure apron (decent ) and a tote bag to carry stuff in --one item lots of folks do not use that they should is the free "finders log' --try to record what you found and where at--- studying those notes later on -- might lead to "patterns' of finds --humm lots of coins found along a "line" maybe kids were playing "pitch a penny against a formerly there wall of a building :wink:--the prices of the "freebies" are way inflated but hey free anything is ok by me.

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
That sounds like what I am going for. I have heard people saying stuff like "It was reading a 70" so thanks for explaining what the numbers mean.

"Notching" doesn't involve any sort of modification does it? I'm not so good with a soldering iron. :dontknow:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
no it a setting that allows you to cut in or out various "detection areas" on the detector --like say the iron range numbers -- that unless you are hunting relic type irons --is mostly trash like nails and stuff that you would just as soon "not deal with" --so you can tell the machine to basically ignore hits in that range

go to the kellyco website -- click on teknetics -- then find delta 4000 * -- it will have a instruction booklet link read it first * --to get some ideal of how it works -- itis a good solid lil land machine and the coil can be used in water --the coil and lower shaft can go into water a few feet deep , no problem --DO NOT HOWEVER GET THE CONTROL HOUSING AREA WET.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say try to find a used Tesoro Cibola. Great easy to use machine. Read the reviews, good depth in most soils and easy to learn. Ace 250 is a good unit also for the money and one could be found new for under 250.00 . Good luck.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check the classified forum here too.....

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Take a look at the Tesoro Compadre.

Do a search of this forum under "Compadre" and take a look at what you find.

Just a few highlights:

*runs at 12 kHz, so it has great gold sensitivity (the Compadre is well known as a great gold hunter)

*offers true EU 180 discrimination, so "ALL METAL" is truly all metal

*is backed by a lifetime warranty

*the 5.75" coil is perfect for trashy areas and will hit on targets over 6", which is where 90% of your targets are going to be found anyway.

Downsides? Only one. That coil is hardwired to the unit, so you can't interchange coils. But in my expereince, the smaller coil is the one I use all the time no matter which unit I'm using.

Take it look. You won't be wasting your time.

desert dog

Oct 27, 2009
kingman az
Detector(s) used
new coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I DO NOT THINK HE IS GOING TO FIND
A DETECTOR FOR 250.OO ON THIS FORUM CALSSIFIED
NOT A NEW GO TO BACKWOODS DETECTOR YOU
WILL FIND A NEW DETECTOR FOR 250.00

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ace 250. I'm constantly amazed at what people find with these detectors. Cost about 250$

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get an Ace250 for around $212.00 & you will have some change to buy extras (shovel,batteries,& maybe a vest )

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
I have heard the phrase "ACE 250" many, many, times since I started posting here. Is the price $212 new or used?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
the ace 250 is good for $212 new * but it is far outclassed by the delta 4000 for $279 * ( yes I have owned and used both a fair bit) yes the delta is $67 dollars more but look at the differance -- 12 ID blocks ( in which trash items and good items often share a "block' vs delta's 0 - 99 numbers type display-- (basically equal to 100 blocks) with more numbers / slots a much finer degree of sorting ability is allowed -- so better chances of sorting junk from treasure BEFORE you invest time in digging it up -- thus less time digging junk allows for more "productive" time digging possible" good signals "---plus its lighter in weight than the 250 (although the 250 is also light in weight vs most other machines)

added bonus * a free pin pointer comes with with the delta at $279 -- vs no pin pointer with the $212 ace 250 --so you will have to buy one --there goes some of the $67 buck differance right there.

given my choice of the two -- I will honestly say the delta 4000 at $279 vs the ace 250 at $212 --for the $67 differance ( part of which would have to be spent on a pin pointer if you get the 250 ) your MUCH better off with the delta 4000**** but hey thatis just my personal opinion * however its worth noting that I have owned both the ace 250 and the delta 4000 (and still have both-- as well as two bounty hunter models as well the tracker IV and a time ranger as well )-- my point of veiw is this in the $300 and under range "new" machine -- the delta 4000 is one of the best I've handled .--if you want a inexpensive "numbers" type LCD land machine

another possible low cost "numbers" machine you might want to look at is the F2 by fisher * which runs at a 5.9 freq (reportedly ok at detecting 3 grain sized gold nuggets) --for $215 you can get --the machine with 8 inch stock coil , a pin pointer and a bonus "small coil"-- for $275 you can get the machine withnormal "stock " coil and both the smaller and the larger sized coil as well.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Ace 250. Ill bet you have a lot of virgin territory to search. :icon_thumright:
I call it the "last frontier." I wish I could go with ya.

You wont need the headphones because all the signals are loud. Besides its best to keep at least one ear open. The Ace250 has a built in pinpointer but you could use a hand held as well. Kellyco often has deals where you get one free. I got a free one with mine.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
hombre_de_plata_flaco said:
I have heard the phrase "ACE 250" many, many, times since I started posting here. Is the price $212 new or used?
new

dirt doctor

Aug 31, 2006
California Bay Area
Ivan Salis ,

Nice of you to take the time to show Hombre the benefits of what you have learned thru using both the Ace250 and the delta 4000 . That's quite a nice deal you pointed out to him . A lot of bang for the buck there . :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
well having detected for many years ( since 1979 so over 30 years ) and having for the last several years being forced by ill health to use lighter easy to carry and use machines (mostly cheaper low cost type models) under or around the 300 dollar range * -- I have had a good bit of experance with the tracker IV , sharp shooter II and time ranger bounty hunter models -- as well the ace 250 and the delta 4000.

that being the case --I think it good to share my experance with others to try and give them a fair and honest view of the various machines --and their pros and cons.

please note * most cheaper under $300 machine have a "preset" ground balance level -- if the area you live in / wish to hunt in has a lot of "red clay" it is often a "iron rich" / high mineral area -- you will either need to downward adjust your sensitivity levels * when you hunt ( if its falsing a lot) so as to ignore the high background minerals which "ring up" as metal --or else get a "manually adjustible" ground balance machine which means its "gound balance" can be adjusted to suit the grounds high mineral conditions without lowering the sensitivity levels. --nearby by powerlines can also cause issues again lowering the sensiviity often works --there are some places that are impossible or next to impossible to hunt without a "manually adjustible" machine but --in the vast amount of cases & places a preset type machine will work just fine -- however at certain times and places you might have to make some allowances by lowering the sensitivy levels , very slowly a bit at a time until the falsing stops.

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
ivan salis said:
please note * most cheaper under $300 machine have a "preset" ground balance level -- if the area you live in / wish to hunt in has a lot of "red clay" it is often a "iron rich" / high mineral area -- you will either need to downward adjust your sensitivity levels * when you hunt ( if its falsing a lot) so as to ignore the high background minerals which "ring up" as metal --or else get a "manually adjustible" ground balance machine which means its "gound balance" can be adjusted to suit the grounds high mineral conditions without lowering the sensitivity levels. --nearby by powerlines can also cause issues again lowering the sensiviity often works --there are some places that are impossible or next to impossible to hunt without a "manually adjustible" machine but --in the vast amount of cases & places a preset type machine will work just fine -- however at certain times and places you might have to make some allowances by lowering the sensitivy levels , very slowly a bit at a time until the falsing stops.

:o

The area I live in/plan on hunting is nothing BUT red clay (Northeast Georgia). I will also be hunting near power lines.

Will the under $300 Delta still do the trick, or do I need to save up some more $$$?

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
On the Delta i never had one... But every thing i have heard about it was good .... i never heard any thihg bad about them................. But it does have a pre set ground balance......Could be some one from Ga here on Tnet used one ..............And could give you some info on it........

Attachments

• 892-98.gif
    892-98.gif
    50.1 KB · Views: 3,281
  • 892-98.gif
    892-98.gif
    50.1 KB · Views: 3,268
OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Well, I haven't even started out of the gate yet and I am already getting discouraged.

I found this thread here:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?topic=232732.0

Wherein a guy from North Alabama was having problems with his Minelab Explorer II in red clay. If this stuff screws with a $650 machine, how am I supposed to do any better with one that costs $250? I'm almost tempted to take up coin roll hunting instead...

:(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread