Gopher holes

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
When we were out detecting yesterday, I was getting signals all over the place. Good, REPEATABLE signals, nice and crisp and clear. Some were coins (did pretty good on the quarters yesterday). But here's the wacky part.... sometimes when I would probe, the screwdriver would get the normal amount of resistance in the soil, and then sink rapidly. I know I was hitting gopher tunnels, the dirt was in small piles all over the place.

I know that a lack of mineralization will sometimes create a false signal, ran into that all the time with my Goldmaster.

But my Fisher is a lot newer, and set for coins. And the signals were nice and crisp and clear, and repeatable.

What is up with this? Has anyone else ran across this before?

I wish I'd have taken pics, I mean the gophers were rampant out there. Must've been a whole gopher Metropolis under the grass out there!

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you try to retrieve any of them signals?

I was called out to a campground once to find this ladies ring. She set it down on a rock while she washed her hands under a faucet next to their camp. She said a gopher snatched her ring and ran down a hole next to the fire pit. I tried but the holes were everywhere. No telling how deep it's burrow was.

Sandman

S

stefen

Were you signals moving each time or were they static?

The signal you are receiving is most likely squirrel dental crowns ;D

OP
OP
Jeffro

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Yes, I did try and retrieve several. After finding nothing but a tunnel on the first few, I concluded it was the void that was creating the signal, much like a "cold rock" when nuggetshooting. After that, whenever I'd hit a void, I figured it was a false signal. Thing is, they were repeatable and solid signals, no bouncing around or moving, until I cleared the dirt out clear down to the void, then it would disappear! Wacky, eh?

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can remember that some of the older detectors would give a signal on abnormalities in the ground, especially on large tree roots. It would also do that on gopher holes. It's kind of a freaky feeling when you stick the knife into the ground and then it quickly sinks a couple more inches. :o

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Maybe a totally dissolved nail that had a halo signal but when the dirt was completely disturbed, it crumbled to dust. ???

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have dug a coin and while I was trying to scoop it out it fell into a gophers hole and disappeared! Monty

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Monty said:
I have dug a coin and while I was trying to scoop it out it fell into a gophers hole and disappeared! Monty

;D ;DFor good? ;D ;D

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
A gopher will make burrows five to six feet deep with multiple tunnels and usually two escape doors......so who knows what all they have down there.

OP
OP
Jeffro

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Hmmmm.... maybe I'll try and dig out a couple of those gopher holes, maybe they're like packrats, eh? :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread