Garrett GTI 1500 vs. Minelab Safari

bdhoward

Apr 27, 2011
NW PA
Detector(s) used
Garret GTI 1500/Minelab Safari
So lately I have been using the Garrett GTI 1500 and have been finding piles of clad and junk between 1" and 6". I realize this is typical, but silver targets are few and VERY far between and I really havent gotten any "strong" signals between 6" and above. Not even clad. I dont know if its the machine not detecting anything beyond 6-7" or its just that I havent encountered any targets greater than 6-7" (highly doubt that) :icon_scratch:. My concern is with NOT detecting anything, with the exception of LARGE targets, above 6-7". With that being said, if the case be that the 1500 has a max depth of 6-7", I need to seriously consider either purchasing a better coil for the 1500, or an entirely new machine. I nearly bought the Minelab Safari instead of the GTI 1500 at the time, but opted for the 1500 due to the lower cost and the target imaging feature. Has anybody reading this post had experience with the GTI 1500 and the Safari that could offer any testimony on both machines? Does the Safari detect deeper (stock coil vs. stock coil)? Are there any great advantages to the Safari as opposed to the GTI 1500 and visa versa (other than the obvious target imaging feature on the 1500)? Is the Safari easy to operate? Maybe I should try a different coil for the 1500? I MD every day for hours at a time in very good locations and always make sure my batteries are good. It seems I should have some really good finds at this point, but other than 9 silver coins and 1 gold ring (all dug under 7") everthing is just "run of the mill" stuff. Any and all suggestions and input is greatly appreciated. Thank you. Bryan H. :help:

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari. Garrett 350
Hi, I ust bought a Safari last week and I am very pleased with it. My son found a buffalo nickle almost a foot down using the stock coil. That is the only old coin we have found, but then again we havent hunted any old sites, yet. I cant compare it to yours since I have never used a 1500.If you are in the market for a safari talk to Mike at Woodland detectors. He is a nice guy and will help with any of your question and will give you a deal the nobody else can beat. Im sure he will answer all your questions about your 1500 even if you dont buy another one. Woodland http://www.woodlanddetectors.com/

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All my experience is on two detectors, the 1500, and an explorer... which is no doubt similar to a Safari. If you decide to make the switch I'd say to hold out a little longer and get an SE. What can the SE do better than the 1500? EVERYTHING.

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll just say this, in a iron nail infested site the safari did more to weed out the crap than my 2500 ever did. For my needs I ended up upgrading to an etrac only because I got a great deal that madeit more afordable than the SE. But I would definitely second what iron patch said. Did I mention I only used the safari for four hours, and in the learning stage was still able to make that conclusion its that much better.

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To clarify I love the 2500 but for the scenario I mentioned its no match.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
I was told the Minelabs can give accurate visual ID to 7" but so can the Garrett AT Pro. Only 5 hours into using it, I got a dime down 7" in moderately bad ground & the visual ID was correct. In STD mode, the deep coins are as loud as shallow coins.

In PRO mode, deeper coins give softer beep, but the separation is great with the stock coil. It has 40 levels of iron rejection to help get goodies next to junk.

It has a new MAP (minimum advertiseable price) of $594.95 with transferrable 2 year warranty. It can go underwater to 10 feet. It is much lighter than the Safari, just over 3 lbs vs 5.5 lbs. Uses 4 AAs. Best regards, George (MN)

DeArmitt Pa

Jun 7, 2009
Johnstown, Pa
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Safari is by far the superior machine. To put things in perspective, the Safari is even better than the GTI 2500. The trash/target separation is much better on the Safari. The depth is better. The Safari will work much better in mineralized ground than GTI's. This is all straight out of the box with no tinkering. With experience, the Safari will suck the ground dry vs. the GTI 1500.

Like Iron Patch said, if you want the best get the SE Pro, this is the machine if you like to tinker with settings. The E-Trac is just as good as the SE Pro but with less tinkering. Both machines are more expensive than the Safari. The E-Trac is more expensive than the SE Pro. Best Regards.

John,
Fort Bedford Metal Detectors
www.fortbedfordmetaldetectors.com

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
I will admit the Safari outdoes the Garrett AT Pro in an air test. Garrett AT Pro in STD sens 7 of 8, 9" on dime with solid high tone. Pro mode, sens 7 of 8, 10" on dime, with mostly high tone.

For the Safari sens 18 IIRC (highest stable setting in house) 11.5" on a dime, with low, medium & high tones mixing. The numerical ID again IIRC was 36-40.

Minelab people say they go by the tones, but if the tones are mixed, they go by the highest tone or dig all? I will have to see how the tones & numbers go when I plant a coin deeper.

I haven't tried on the $37.95 Swingy Thingy yet-I misplaced the instructions- to see if I like it, but otherwise detector too heavy at 5.5 lbs. Hope OK w/Swingy Thingy as might do better but not interested in digging all. I don't know how to dig a neat &/or fast foot deep hole in a park or schoolyard. Ground here is hard all the time in most places w/lots of iron beeps. Best wishes & HH, George (MN)

Sheppie22

Jun 9, 2011
Milford, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac,
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett AT Max
Minelab Equinox 800 and 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just sold my 1500 3 weeks ago and bought a Minelab Etrac. Don't know much about the Safari but I have already found a 1897 Indian head penny at 10 inches with the etrac. I agree with you on the 1500. I liked the machine and how it operated but did not seem to find anything deeper than 5-6 inches. I now can hunt with the confidence that I can find the deeper coins.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sheppie22 said:
Just sold my 1500 3 weeks ago and bought a Minelab Etrac. Don't know much about the Safari but I have already found a 1897 Indian head penny at 10 inches with the etrac. I agree with you on the 1500. I liked the machine and how it operated but did not seem to find anything deeper than 5-6 inches. I now can hunt with the confidence that I can find the deeper coins.

Also pay attention to how many more coins are on edge in the hole. On the 1500 they are usually a broken sound and most often probably not dug. If you already see some success, just wait until you start to really figure it out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread