Our public schoolyards are fenced locked and posted

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's just about impossible to metal detect schoolyards here in South Florida anymore.

In the last year or two, its seems, they have locked and posted the school fields. This not only disrupts our metal detecting hobby, but removes a community amenity as kids and families were accustomed to using the fields and courts for recreation- especially in Miami, where the public park ratio to population has historically been very low, leaving many neighborhoods without nearby activity parks.

Is this a problem in other parts of the country?

Upvote 0

magjm

Sep 20, 2004
sylva, nc
Detector(s) used
E-Trac. Excal, XLT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The majority of the schools here in North Carolina are open for whoever. Most have gates to prevent folks driving onto the grounds though and if you find the gates open, it is safer to still park and walk in. High schools seem to be the main exception. If I find an off-limits school, or get told to leave, it is usually a High School. Then there are the schools where the officials like us to metal detect since they can't afford security and our presence discourage the trouble makers. No consistency that I can see in Northern Ga, South Carolina, or Tenn. either. I live in a "corner" area of WNC where an hour's drive can move me to another state.

Magjm

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
magjm said:
The majority of the schools here in North Carolina are open for whoever. Most have gates to prevent folks driving onto the grounds though and if you find the gates open, it is safer to still park and walk in. High schools seem to be the main exception. If I find an off-limits school, or get told to leave, it is usually a High School. Then there are the schools where the officials like us to metal detect since they can't afford security and our presence discourage the trouble makers. No consistency that I can see in Northern Ga, South Carolina, or Tenn. either. I live in a "corner" area of WNC where an hour's drive can move me to another state.

Magjm
Interesting. I'm in western South Carolina. The one school from which I was summarily tossed was a high school. Most of it isnt fenced, but I was told I cant be there by the cops.
More than a few of the local elementary schools are also fenced and/or gated. This of course has little to do with detectorists. It is thought to be more of a security expedient in these fearful times - every school considered a potential Columbine.
In light of it all I have pretty much written off public schools, unless some circumstance compels me otherwise. Public parks are a battle we can possibly win. Schools, on the other hand, are considered sanctum sanctorum. You can always ask, but dont be surprised if you hear, "no."

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I live in N.E.Ohio and all our schools are wide open........... This is the first time i have heard of school yards fenced in and locked up.......... We can go to any school up here and get in on the grounds....& detect....... Kids go to the school grounds and play on week ends and at night after school............I guess up here in Ohio we are backward.......... I am so glad we have not moved forward like other states & citys have...........

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keppy said:
I live in N.E.Ohio and all our schools are wide open........... This is the first time i have heard of school yards fenced in and locked up.......... We can go to any school up here and get in on the grounds....& detect....... Kids go to the school grounds and play on week ends and at night after school............I guess up here in Ohio we are backward.......... I am so glad we have not moved forward like other states & citys have...........
Hope it doesnt catch up to you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread