Newer member: First finds in back yard-so far lots of junk

texasgold

Jun 5, 2011
Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw 3 coil package and clean sweep
Hi all, I just wanted to share my first finds with ya'll here that I dug up out of my back yard. Seems to be mostly construction related material associated with the building of the house or houses here in the subdivision. The subdivision itself along with its homes are not antiquated, dating back to the 70's and 80's so I don't truly expect to find old coins here, but you never know. I am using a Tesoro silver umax, running with discrimination just above iron but I'm thinking about running it in all metal mode then just dig everything to see what I'm missing, if anything. I was pretty excited when I first started, I had just received my detector the other day but was at work. I got home, read instructions, put it together, tested the recommended targets in the air then got to swinging. I lost all track of time and was detecting and digging in the dark when my wife finally called me in at 10:15pm to come in to bed; yes it was that fun :icon_thumright: I plan to try to hit an abandoned volley ball court here in the neighborhood today, atleast that is what I think it is. I will report back, hopefully with some interesting items if I get to detect the place. Here is a pic of my stuff out of the back yard so far, no old coins, just clad and a lot of junk.

first finds.jpg

Upvote 0
K

Kentucky Kache

Congrats on your first find. :icon_thumleft:

You may already know this, but those pieces shaped like an H are used to butt plywood together on roofs when trusses are used.

OP
OP
texasgold

texasgold

Jun 5, 2011
Texas
Detector(s) used
Kentucky Kache said:
Congrats on your first find. :icon_thumleft:

You may already know this, but those pieces shaped like an H are used to butt plywood together on roofs when trusses are used.

I had no idea what they were except some type of "widget" for home building. Good to know though; they were thick close to the house and I'm sure there are more there to find, I just got tired of digging them up. I'm pretty sure they are aluminum, so they are hard to discriminate out without missing other things.

I just got back from that old volleyball court and just did not find much, but maybe others had been there long before I was. I found two coins, both clad, a piece of a can, a cat collar and my big find was an old axe head about a foot down. I was getting faint but repeatable signals, got it fairly isolated to where to dig then got after it. It wore me out digging that sucker up and I knew I probably had a large piece of junk, but I just kept going. I got excited when I got to it because I thought that it was maybe an old metal box! I got to digging deeper around it, widening my hole then pryed it out; much to my dismay it was only and old axe head. I saved it anyway, but don't think it could possible be of any value, but it was an interesting find.

DanRiverMan

Dec 13, 2009
Rockingham County, NC
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC - Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job Texas..By not discriminating out the tabs and other junk that you have here you are already on the right path..You keep finding that stuff and Gold/Silver WILL FOLLOW at some point..

OP
OP
texasgold

texasgold

Jun 5, 2011
Texas
Detector(s) used
I try to keep the umax on all metal until I get a hit, then I will discriminate to see if I can get an idea of what is in the ground. I mostly just dig it anyway, but my back yard is full of junk, especially nails and screws, so I try to notch those out by setting the knob to iron. I got to hit a tot lot close to home this evening, I did not cover much ground but found a dime and two pennies, woohoo! I'll pay off this detector a penny at a time I guess, but its still exciting to find any type of coin. I'll try to go back in the morning to see if I can add to my small pile of coins.

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
texasgold said:
Hi all, I just wanted to share my first finds with ya'll here that I dug up out of my back yard. Seems to be mostly construction related material associated with the building of the house or houses here in the subdivision. The subdivision itself along with its homes are not antiquated, dating back to the 70's and 80's so I don't truly expect to find old coins here, but you never know. I am using a Tesoro silver umax, running with discrimination just above iron but I'm thinking about running it in all metal mode then just dig everything to see what I'm missing, if anything. I was pretty excited when I first started, I had just received my detector the other day but was at work. I got home, read instructions, put it together, tested the recommended targets in the air then got to swinging. I lost all track of time and was detecting and digging in the dark when my wife finally called me in at 10:15pm to come in to bed; yes it was that fun :icon_thumright: I plan to try to hit an abandoned volley ball court here in the neighborhood today, atleast that is what I think it is. I will report back, hopefully with some interesting items if I get to detect the place. Here is a pic of my stuff out of the back yard so far, no old coins, just clad and a lot of junk.
Thats about the right ratio of trash to treasure. The truth is there is FAR MORE trash than treasure out there. If you look for the one, you will find the other.
The challenge is to accept that, keep at it and still have fun. After decades of detecting, I still have as much fun as ever.
That is what sets the true detectorist apart from the casual hobbyist.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions