Platinum help please....

bdhoward

Apr 27, 2011
NW PA
Detector(s) used
Garret GTI 1500/Minelab Safari
Today I picked up on a hot lead from a grounds keeper at a local ball field. It seems a player reported having lost a platinum wedding band between 2nd base and 3rd base while playing shortstop a few days ago. The grounds keeper told me that the infield had been "dragged" twice since then so it could be virtually anywhere on the infield. I have permission to search this infield to try to find this guys ring back. My problem is that I want to keep the holes to a minumum. If somebody could tell me at what type of conductivity platinum registers on in the meter to help me limit the number of holes I dig it would be greatly appreciated. Bryan H.

Upvote 0

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If he lost it a couple of days ago. It will be right on top of the ground. You will not have to dig any holes for this ring. You can just check the top of the ground when ever you hit a target. I can not tell you what Platinum will register at but I have had gold rings register as foil with my DFX. Good luck and let us know if you find it........Matt

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Platinum rings can read anywhere if they are alloyed with other metals. As Matt said the ring would be just in the grass. You can brush the grass and find it. Being on top like it is anyone walking along and the sun glinting off it will announce its location. I wouldn't dig any holes there at all as the lawn mower can suck out the plugs.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
sandman and mlayers are spot on so far. I would ad that the "dragging" they are talking about, is just the smoothing out of the base-running line portions of the field, as you probably already know. Ie.: that non-grass portions where they sometimes have the granular composition.

The fellow's ring may not necessarily have landed on there. It could have taken a "fling or a "bounce" onto the adjacent grass.

But either way, whether on the base lines/infield surface, or on the grass, it's not going to be deep. Wherever it is, you'd need to do nothing more than fold back the grass blades wherever you get a signal, and simply look down. Or if on that granular infield material, just kick the duff of any loose material aside, etc..

Good luck.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I see you are useing a GTI 1500 .. So the reading on your meter would be ..A.. or B .... it will give you a size not a number.......And like every one said it will be on top of the ground or just covered with heavy dust......

OP
OP
bdhoward

bdhoward

Apr 27, 2011
NW PA
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the advice everyone. I went there tonight to detect but there was a game going on. Then a thunderstorm hit. >:( The only concern with it getting buried I had was if any of the tractors they use to drag the infield possibly ran over the ring and then piled on more dirt over it or during the course of the game it got stomped on by a player running bases or fielding a play. :icon_scratch: If it were just laying on top of the infield surface one would think it would have been easily found. Maybe that is the case and somebody allready pocketed it. At this point though, nobody has came forward with a find and there is a very frusterated couple out there. I am going to go there tomorrow afternoon and search for it for a while and see if I cant make one young man happy and another young lady even happier. I think I will video the search just in case I find it and reunite the ring to its owner. Also, Keppy, I realize that the machine will give the size of the platinum ring, but it will also show a conductivity reading from 1-12 on the top LCD bar. The lower the number it displays = a lower conductivity of the object being scanned. I was just curious if anyone knew about what conductivity reading platinum would display. Thanks again for the advice and HH. Bryan H.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
bdhoward said:
Thanks for the advice everyone. I went there tonight to detect but there was a game going on. Then a thunderstorm hit. >:( The only concern with it getting buried I had was if any of the tractors they use to drag the infield possibly ran over the ring and then piled on more dirt over it or during the course of the game it got stomped on by a player running bases or fielding a play. :icon_scratch: If it were just laying on top of the infield surface one would think it would have been easily found. Maybe that is the case and somebody allready pocketed it. At this point though, nobody has came forward with a find and there is a very frusterated couple out there. I am going to go there tomorrow afternoon and search for it for a while and see if I cant make one young man happy and another young lady even happier. I think I will video the search just in case I find it and reunite the ring to its owner. Also, Keppy, I realize that the machine will give the size of the platinum ring, but it will also show a conductivity reading from 1-12 on the top LCD bar. The lower the number it displays = a lower conductivity of the object being scanned. I was just curious if anyone knew about what conductivity reading platinum would display. Thanks again for the advice and HH. Bryan H.
For me on the GTI 1500 i don't even look at the top i just dig every thing that is ..A ,B .or C............

OP
OP
bdhoward

bdhoward

Apr 27, 2011
NW PA
Detector(s) used
Well, I went to the ball fields today and scoured the infield and part of the outfield for about an hour with no luck. Looks like somebody found themselves a platinum wedding band. :( Poor fella that lost it must be sick for his loss. I know from personal experience, I lost my wedding band in Tampa Bay while swimming in the ocean on vacation. I felt HORRIBLE. Almost as if I lost a piece of my marriage. I ended up getting a replacement ASAP but it just wasnt the same. My wife and I ended up divorced a few years later anyhow, so in hind sight it doesnt matter anymore. But at the time I was so terribly distraught. I tried. :-\ HH Bryan H.

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bdhoward said:
Well, I went to the ball fields today and scoured the infield and part of the outfield for about an hour with no luck. Looks like somebody found themselves a platinum wedding band. :( Poor fella that lost it must be sick for his loss. I know from personal experience, I lost my wedding band in Tampa Bay while swimming in the ocean on vacation. I felt HORRIBLE. Almost as if I lost a piece of my marriage. I ended up getting a replacement ASAP but it just wasn't the same. My wife and I ended up divorced a few years later anyhow, so in hind sight it doesn't matter anymore. But at the time I was so terribly distraught. I tried. :-\ HH Bryan H.

You hunting once and not finding it, does not mean anything, you don't have to miss a target by
much to miss it altogether.
A ring that comes off during play could land literally anywhere... all the way across the field, or
right next to the foot of where the guy was standing.
Before considering it gone for good, I would walk it at least 3-4 times real heavy.

As for Platinum I'm not sure about this, but I believe it has the same conductivity as gold, so it would
read real low.... like gold, not completely sure though.

DanRiverMan

Dec 13, 2009
Rockingham County, NC
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC - Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would check where ever the field rake was parked at when finished..This rake Im speaking of is the metal screen that is pulled behind a piece of equiptment to smoothe out the field with..Follow the path to where ever it was unhooked an dropped at, usually OUTSIDE of the field area, but CLOSE by for the next use..Even underneath it's sitting place..The Ring could have been dragged on out with it..
The 2nd place is in the DUGOUT itself..It could have came off in his Glove and when comming in to bat those gloves are thrown down in the Dugout..
Make sure you get Tight to the Fences , and it could also be masked /married with some other type of metal, ie. next to memorial Penny, and your passing it..dig it all...

Good luck finding it....

OP
OP
bdhoward

bdhoward

Apr 27, 2011
NW PA
Detector(s) used
Thanks TERRERO and DanRiverMan. I believe I will head over there today and give it another try.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread