Guys like this are going to ruin it

DirtAngler

Jun 18, 2011
SE Pa
Detector(s) used
MX5, M6, GPP, TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was recently informed that there are two guys in my area in Pa. using fairly top of the line equipment, Minelab Explorers, that just don't get it. They dig a signal and if it is trash, rebury it and move on. They also leave bare spots and dead grass so they apparently don't know correct digging procedures either. There is a metal detecting code of conduct, if you can't follow it, get out of the hobby.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Theakiki

Dec 28, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX550
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm a new metal detector, and after reading about the hobby on this site and others, I quickly learned the code of conduct, and I bought into the godd reason for these rules.

I have a pouch that hangs on my side that I bring home loaded with garbage, and I wear an old nail apron around my waste that I might have a handful of goodies in. :thumbsup:

Every now and then, try as I might, I do a crappy job making a neat hole. I get terribly disappointed in myself when this occurs. :sad1:

sandtrout

Jan 27, 2010
A few holes isn't going to bother anybody....

Attachments

• No Metal Detecting 4.JPG
    No Metal Detecting 4.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 782

sandtrout

Jan 27, 2010
Maybe a 2nd booklet or sheet of paper labeled WARNING!!!! It would SHOW HOLES LEFT UNCOVERED and the general mess left by these idiots then pictures of NO METAL DETECTING signs and possibly some proper recovery techniques and/or youtube videos for those that are "visually oriented".

I think it should be started at the manufacturer level to be handed out with each detector purchase for free. Maybe for those bought used on craig's list or ebay, maybe a warning label should be placed permanently on the side like they put on packs of cigarettes...something basic like:

WARNING:
-don't leave holes, cover them up
-take trash out with you
-learn proper recover techniques from the manufacturer's web site

And wouldn't fade easily in the sun.

Also something could be handed out from the dealer level, also something simple like a one page hand out and it would also show pictures with more information like these web sites. Would it cost to do that? Certainly but who buys detectors in a town where you can't hunt! :help:

sandtrout

Jan 27, 2010
And it would look something like this ...

...at the dealer level....what do you guys think? Dealers or anybody....feel free to copy or use any part of this and add to it some "warning" ideas. Just a thought. I may make up some myself to hand out to people I run into who are also detecting.

Attachments

• warning.JPG
    warning.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 784

Lucky13

Oct 9, 2010
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics,Teknetics,TEKNETICS!!
there is one reason for doing this, Keeps you diggingup his garbage whil he is digging up the treasure elsewhere,Not very sportsman like but an effective ploy at keeping you occupied.

kevkirki

Jul 16, 2011
denver, colorado
Detector(s) used
M6/coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
it starts with self respect.......leave it like you found it. worldtalker....thats funny. :laughing7:

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope you attempted to get your hunting buddy to "drop" is harmful ways before you dumped the buddy - only saying this because, sometimes,
its not malicious behaviour - sometimes people just don't think.

Beth

joeman

Mar 19, 2011
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro, BH 840 VLF-TR
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
NOLA_Ken said:
It's not too surprising really, I have this feeling that a lot of detectors are being sold to people now who are only in it because of the high price of gold and look at it as a get rich quick scheme. People who really don't care or know enough to act right. I see a lot of nice machines on e-bay listed as "barely used" which makes me think someone bought them, didn't find any gold rings and gave up after a few tries.

Man, you said it! There will be A LOT of 'used' detectors (and likely some 'good deals') in the years to come! Since I'm out more, I definitely see 'MORE and MORE' detectorists around the City... Wait and see 'just how many' people will be buying detectors when Gold hits 2000.00, then breaks through to 3k, 4k, etc... IT will be 'INSANE' in every City, County and Otherwise! :o

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joeman,

You might just have a point, there - the problem with that, of course, is that is leaves folks like us - the ones who detect because we LIKE to detect, and not just because we might find some treasure (rings, etc) once in awhile. We like being out, and like having that little "butterfly in the stomach" feeling when we get a good hit, and we cannot wait to see what it is. We fill our holes, we throw away the garbage - and quite often, we keep alot of the stuff we find - just because we found it, and, quite often, we will return lost items if we can.

The folks who will get into it for the price of gold will NOT necessarily be of the same mindset, and will cause issues for those of us who do it, just because we like to do it.

Beth

OP
OP
D

DirtAngler

Jun 18, 2011
SE Pa
Detector(s) used
MX5, M6, GPP, TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Said it before and I'll say it again. Metal detecting has a code of ethics, if you can't follow it, you are in the wrong hobby and please exit immediately.

Lucky13

Oct 9, 2010
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics,Teknetics,TEKNETICS!!
People , With hunters like this out there.....Might as well expect some stricter laws against detecting in the ner future,But ou know what they say,No good thing can last forever *sigh*

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been to sites with holes all over the place left by hunters. I try to kick the dirt in when they are in open areas. I once went hunting on a battle site and found three pieces of cannonball that some one had dug and left on top of the ground. I took them all home.

fishbone3d

Apr 1, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Whites Prizm III, Bounty Hunter
You can post rules, and staple them to a person's head. You can dictate to them the rules, and threaten them with the consequences. But the truth of the matter is, some people just do not care. The good thing is, 99 percent of those people will end up having a dust collector in their closets after a short time. Most are lazy, and do not really get into the hobby really deep. They are impulse buyers. It is like a child with a new puppy, it is fun when they are little. When the dog grow up, it becomes a chore to take care of them. I do not really let it get to me, because most of those careless people miss all of the good stuff anyways, because they are to lazy to really get to know their detector. I am happy, when they pick up those surface zincs for me. I am looking for much older things than just clad.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread