Guys like this are going to ruin it

DirtAngler

Jun 18, 2011
SE Pa
Detector(s) used
MX5, M6, GPP, TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was recently informed that there are two guys in my area in Pa. using fairly top of the line equipment, Minelab Explorers, that just don't get it. They dig a signal and if it is trash, rebury it and move on. They also leave bare spots and dead grass so they apparently don't know correct digging procedures either. There is a metal detecting code of conduct, if you can't follow it, get out of the hobby.

Upvote 0

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AMEN - well said.

Do these guys realize that by re-burying the trash, that - besides being unsportsmanlike - it leaves trash in the ground for THEM to refind?
As Homer Simpson would say "Doh".

I've seen people re-bury their trash too - even folks who replace grass well - I've asked them that question - they gave me a blank stare.

Of course, for the person who never plans on coming back, I guess they don't care.

I know I - and many other folks - have spent lots of their detecting time cleaning up someone else's mess - and it sucks.

Beth

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Besides not using proper retrieval techniques to lessen the damage to the ground, they probably figure they aren't coming back to that area and it would also slow down or discourage another detectorist.

I've seen water hunters toss the trash back in the water not realizing it was just as easy to place it in a pouch so they wouldn't have to dig it up again. :icon_scratch: Sorry, some people are just a waste of skin.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I see evidence of THE GHOST here too!!!!!!!Can't wait to run into this person,we'll have some WORDS!!!!!!!!Happy Fathers Day All you Dads.GOD BLESS,Chris

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman,

You said something I had never considered. That putting trash back in the ground would slow down someone else. Talk about being naiive - THAT never occurred to me. That's not just being lazy or sloppy - that would be downright un-sportsmanlike - note here: I'm not using the word I really want to.

But, geesh - you are probably right. >:(

Beth

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
mrs.oroblanco said:
Sandman,

You said something I had never considered. That putting trash back in the ground would slow down someone else. Talk about being naiive - THAT never occurred to me. That's not just being lazy or sloppy - that would be downright un-sportsmanlike - note here: I'm not using the word I really want to.

But, geesh - you are probably right. >:(

Beth
He is not probably right............. He is right.......... No probably's about it......

magjm

Sep 20, 2004
sylva, nc
Detector(s) used
E-Trac. Excal, XLT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
"Besides not using proper retrieval techniques to lessen the damage to the ground, they probably figure they aren't coming back to that area and it would also slow down or discourage another detectorist."

I went to a competition hunt once where another hunter was seen removing the silver target and leaving a penny. Now, that was mean.

Magjm

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not too surprising really, I have this feeling that a lot of detectors are being sold to people now who are only in it because of the high price of gold and look at it as a get rich quick scheme. People who really don't care or know enough to act right. I see a lot of nice machines on e-bay listed as "barely used" which makes me think someone bought them, didn't find any gold rings and gave up after a few tries.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know there are irresponsible detectorists - but, really - that's low, low, low.

I would never even think of doing something like that - and I dare say, the folks I know who detect wouldn't either. It's sad that there are people out there who would not only do that - but do it on purpose.

Beth

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even in fresh water at the beaches that open to detecting after Labor Day, guys will toss BB split shot in the water at the swim areas to slow down others wanting to just have some fun. I don't know what they are thinking cause if they also hunt there they won't be able to tell a split shot from a ring. It is just a way to harm others fun. People are sick............

djm of PA

Jun 11, 2010
Carsonville, PA
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac and White's Classic 4
would love to know which part of PA we are talking about. Initial post was pretty generic. Get the word out so that the guys in that area can keep their eyes open. Also, don't be quick to blame detectorists for dead grass and uncovered holes. I found myself blaming someone else one time until I watched a squirrel come over, dig a hole and bury a walnut. Five days later, the spot was yellowed and almost looked like a golf divot that was never fixed. Three months later there were 3 dozen spots like this in the yard. Home owner told me he was watching the squirrels and had started shooting them because of it. Said he never could find one of the hundreds of holes that I dug and refilled!
To an untrained eye, blame would obviously go to us, but in reality it was nature at its finest passing the buck to the humans! Having an intelligent landowner helped me keep a spot in my arsenal.

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Some people need a beating... I was detecting a large park just the other day after a large "America Idol" concert... (Locals will know) I started noticing holes, small holes, but holes none the less. Clearly, man made, unless squirrels are digging up pull tabs... I then came across a rather large divot with dead grass sitting beside it, the divot had a big signal in it, I figured it had been explored, I swept some of the dirt back and there was a crushed can sitting there waiting for some poor soul to step on it... I was ticked off! I dug it out and removed it. I then found a grounds keeper that I had spoken to on several occassions about it. He said he thought he knew who it was and would keep an eye out for them...

dirty digger dude

May 16, 2011
I've seen the same thing a few times. If i dig it out and it's trash it goes in the trash can. I just don't want to have to find the same pulltab/trash twice. Plus it leaves the area cleaner after you have left.

alaskanfever

Mar 8, 2011
ALASKA
Well i guess you all can call me a newbie because at first when i went out with my metal detector if it was trash i just recovered the hole. but you guys know i have only been out twice and tonight will make 3 times ever with my metal detector. but 2 days ago i went out and took the wife along and she asked me why i wasnt taking the trash with and made that same comment to me about. you know a week from now when you come back you are just going to dig that up again right? i looked at her like wow that is a good idea so now i have been cleaning up my trash i find. so i will admit that i have done it but not on purpose i just did not want to carry around all the trash i found. ;D

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
How do you tell who is the successfull hunter?By the bulge in the trash side of his pouch!!!!!!

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
worldtalker said:
How do you tell who is the successfull hunter?By the bulge in the trash side of his pouch!!!!!!

DAAANG... I must be the best hunter EVER!!!!! :headbang: I carry out 10X more trash than goods.

DIGDIG

Nov 23, 2009
Space Coast/Florida
Detector(s) used
WHITES SURF P.I.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is sad is that the actions of these 2 guys will be what people remember, not the thousands that do the right thing. It's that way with all hobbies wether it be Hunting, Fishing etc.
I wonder what they will do with thier top-of-the-line detectors when thier county, like many shuts down detecting?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread