Golf courses

bdhoward

Apr 27, 2011
NW PA
Detector(s) used
Garret GTI 1500/Minelab Safari
I have been lucky enough to be granted permission to MD an abandoned golf course. The course was around in the 1960's and was fairly popular until a few years ago when it closed down. Being a golf course the property is HUGE. It has not been maintained in years, but you can still make out where there were once fairways, greens, etc... Does anybody have suggestions as to how to attack this? Where would the "hot spots" be? There is such a large area to detect that it would take me literally years to do this by myself. Has anyone here ever MD'd a golf course? How would you attack a property of this magnitude? Suggestions please. Thank you, HH. Bryan H.

Upvote 0

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I would try to locate the tee boxes and greens. Where they took their gloves on and off should produce a few rings. Good luck,

HH Charlie

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
For sure the tee box area, espeically where benches would have been placed (on the tee box closest to the cart path) AND along the apron area of the parking lot--where coins would have rolled. See if you can find aerials or old ground pics of the course; they may give you additional clues.

Also on the driving range where stands and seats may have been located. Another area would be the apron areas of rest room access paths on the course. Forget the fairways,roughs and watercourse; you've just eliminated more than 95% of the challenge.
Don.....

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just check one of my local golf course history... opened in 1929!! WOO HOO! another spot to hunt... now I just have to wait till it closes LOL!

Chukers

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
As a former golfer I'd recommend the areas near the clubhouse. Between the 9th & 18th holes and the snack bar, under any old trees in those areas. Out near the parking lot, pathways to and from clubhouse to parking lot.

I never played golf with my ring on or my wallet, car keys or loose change in my pockets. I'd always keep my valuables in a drawstring bag inside my golf bag (Crown Royal bags are PERFECT for this). Before the round, at the car I'd remove all my valuables and put on my golf shoes and grab the golf bag, chance of finding something at parking lots... At the turn, after 9 hole, my buddys and I would stop at the snack bar for some refreshments and extra energy. We'd take 5 minutes and sit on the benches in the shade and eat, then we'd be on our way to hole 10...

Most golfers I know only carry a money clip, tees and a ball marker in their pockets. You may make a few finds out on the course, but I wouldn't spend to much time trying. Concentrate on the areas that had the largest concentration of people, the clubhouse and the parking lot.

OP
OP
bdhoward

bdhoward

Apr 27, 2011
NW PA
Detector(s) used
Thank you all so very much for the sound advice. I'm going to head there in a couple of hours. I have to wait for my wireless headphones to complete charging. LOL. I hope to find a few silvers at least. Thanks again. Bryan H.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dwight is right on about near the clubhouse. Also, the johns will be a good place. No, not in the johns but out where the vending machines may have been. If your golf course had hills, even small ones... and you are in snow country, look for change and rings at the top and bottom of the hill. TTC

twiprod001

Jun 21, 2011
Florida
I just started detecteing a closed golf course here in Florida. The area that still remains is the 4th thru the 9th hole. I started on the 4th tee boxes first, the finds weren't great just a lot of change. This week I'll be hitting the rest of the tees then I'll try my luck on the greens. My advantage is I played the course quite often so I'm familiar with how it was laid out.. Good luck on the hunt. If I learn any tricks on this course I'll pass them on.

OP
OP
bdhoward

bdhoward

Apr 27, 2011
NW PA
Detector(s) used
Great info all. Thank you. I'll update ya'll of my finds. HH. Bryan H.

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
Can't speak for Jewelry, but I would find and hit the greens for coins

Golfers often use a coin for a ball marker.

Most (at least those of us that can't hit the green in regulation :tongue3: ) take a wedge and putter to the green from the cart and place them on the edge just outside the green. I would check around the edges of the green too as people would bend over to pick up their clubs in this area.

Good luck

:icon_thumleft:

cassrh

Greenie
Jan 8, 2010
My house is located on a old golf course that closed in the 50's. A par three ran across the front of our property. The Tee Box and green were both elevated, so they are still clearly defined. I have found a lot of coins, a few rings, and one wrist watch. Most of the finds were around the green. Now, if you step off aways into what used to be the rough, I still find broken clubs and a lot of balls.

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you could find out where the beer cart hung out for the most part..... I'd look around there too. Usually under a shady stand of trees where several tees are close together.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread