Military Bases

Old Fart in TN

Nov 27, 2005
Athens Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab
hunted the parks and ball fields at the AF base in Austin ( Bergstrum) when stationed there no problems, but that was in the early 80's. Hunted around Little creek Va. when I was a kid and dad was stationed there again no problems just was told to stay out of the restricted areas. And to stay away from the officers beach when they were using the pistol range. Jeff tx.

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your best bet is to talk to the provost marshal or military police. I was in the Marines for 20 years, MD at Camp Pendleton, Quantico and a Navy base in New Orleans and was never told to stop. Several times MP's drove by, glanced and kept on going. This was generally in the mid to late 80's. I don't think rules have probably changed much.

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Okie, I recently recieved permission to detect a military installation here. You need to contact the Security Officer. I called around the base, from Legal, to the Public Affairs Office, to the CO's office and was told I needed to contact Base Security Officer. (Been retired 11 years, alot of things have changed since then :)). I did not get it in writing, but I have the name of the officer and his phone number to verify the authorization. I have yet had any probs from anyone. And sadly, it's almost like they don't even know I am there...kinda' scarey!!! Being retired military, I have no prob getting on base...but for civilians, they have to go through the proper channels (Pass and ID). And from what I was told, there were NO LAWS that said you COULD NOT detect a military installation, but like all ... COMMON SENSE comes into play. Do not go into an area that says NO TRESPASSING or OFF LIMITS...LOL....sorry, there are some folks who lack COMMON SENSE. Stay away from the pier areas. I was told that area is OFF LIMITS...security reasons. However, if its on the "National Historic" list...you can try to get permission, but 10 times out of 10...you won't get it :(. There reason, "We found everything already"....serious, that is one reason I was given...oh well. I tried a civie place locally...and that was the answer I received :(.

Being stationed at ALL the bases in this area (since 1978)...I know also, where I can and can not go. If a civilian is requesting...please find out from the Security Officer of where you CAN NOT GO!!!! What areas are OFF LIMITS and NO CAMERAS are authorized along the piers and such. I carry my camera with me everywhere...that is why I say that and I use to have a "camera pass" when stationed there, for official business only.

Hey....if anyone ever gets a chance to DIVE (not that you can dive that close to the ship, but if you have a buddy that dives in the Navy, they would have a better chance :) .... go to Pier 24 D&S Piers, Norfolk...back in Dec 1983, as I was "requesting permission to come aboard" my ship....I dropped my purse into the muddy murkey waters. My diver friend went down for me, but could not see anything...so if anyone ever finds a tan leather clutch purse (bought it in Tijuana :) to match the jacket I bought LOL)....it will have my addy book in there of all my friends and two US Saving Bonds (which were replaced after filling out tons of paperwork and getting verification from the ship!!! Geezzz.....anyways....I really can't remember now, been so many years, what else I had in there...I'm sure I had makeup and a brush and such....but no jewelry, can't even remember if I had money in there LOL. THANKS :):):)

But Okie...give it a shot...you may be surprised :) Good Luck!! HH......Ann

beachlooker

Jul 20, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark
I'm active duty Navy and was wondering the same thing. I just never seem to want to go back to the base after I leave work. ;) Someday I might give it a try.

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
beachlooker said:
I'm active duty Navy and was wondering the same thing. I just never seem to want to go back to the base after I leave work. ;) Someday I might give it a try.

LOL...I can relate to the "just never seem to want to go back to the base after I leave work"...been there, done that...but now that I don't, I can't wait...go figure.

Chesapeake has quite a bit of history....should be some farmers out there, if any farms are still there who should have no prob with you detecting (use to be lots of farms back in the late mid to late 70's).

Try out in the Pungo / Sandbridge area too....so many fields, so little time. There is one place in that area that we are hoping to do this fall...this land has been in this family since given to them by the King of England. I don't know the whole story yet. Doing some genealogy research on the family now. Was told by a family member, that they don't seem to think there would be a problem detecting...but we need to talk to the oldest family member. We just haven't been able too lately. Kids starting school soon, so hopefully we will have some time to head back that way and get permission. But no way was I going to detect out there in this heat we had...Fall sounds so much nicer :)

HH.........Ann

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In this order,

Post Commander, not likely to get.
Provost Marshall, also not likely to get, but try.
Officer of the Day
Post Security

Also, don,t take the word of anyone who says it is illegal or there is no way to hunt there. Under the right circumstances with the right approach to the right person, you may get permission. As with getting permission anywhere, it goes a lot better if you offer something in return, such as locating lost markers, items, etc.

Ed Donovan

outdoorsup

May 9, 2004
Lake Ozark, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites 4900, Garrett Ace 250
I'm stationed at Redstone Arsenal, AL and I asked the base security folks. Their reply was that it may violate the Federal Antiquities Act therefore any kind of detecting is illegal. I have hunted on every base I've been on and have never had an issue. I was also told to talk to the post game warden. That will teach me to ask. Next time I will just do it and act dumb if somone says something. Good Luck and please post any information you get so that I can use it as well.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Federal Antiquities Act. PFFFFF >:( Governments way of saying anything that has ever existed in the past is theirs. I bet at least 95% of what they found is still in back rooms, boxes, drawers or some officals private collection. I have a collection of indian artifacts that I saved from being lost in local farm fields (by permission) and from streams and creeks, or items I purchased legally.)

I asked about what was legal to hunt in a local National forest, wanting to hunt the camp grounds, parking lots and beaches at the local swimming areas in the forrest and received this in e-mail reply.

Your information request was forwarded to me for response:

Possession or use of metal detectors, electronic apparatus, and devices
used for locating metal is prohibited for any purpose. 36 CFR
261.53(f)

Thank you,
(Name Removed)
Heritage Program Manager
National Forests in Florida"

Here is what 36 CFR 261.53 (f) says

[size=10pt]261.53 Special closures.
When provided in an order, it is prohibited
to go into or be upon any area
which is closed for the protection of:

(a) Threatened, endangered, rare,
unique, or vanishing species of plants,
animals, birds or fish.
(b) Special biological communities.
(c) Objects or areas of historical, archeological,
geological, or paleontological
interest.
(d) Scientific experiments or investigations.
(e) Public health or safety.
(f) Property.

I guess the entire forrest is considered "closed". Its ok to hunt and kill animals there, but dont dare pick up a coin at a local swimming area.

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I just don't understand it....hubby and the boys went camping last week at Holliday Park (Virginia area). He called ahead to make sure that they would have a site open for the weekend. He made reservations for Sat and Sun just incase and they spent 6 days there.

He asked them on the phone what were the requirements needed for metal detecting, if authorized. They said when he got there, he would have to fill out a form, pay 10 dollars for a metal detecting permit. We thought that was agreeable...but he could ONLY detect at the water. (They call it a beach, it's a lake LOL)..anyways....

They did tell him that anything of historical value, he would have to turn it in.

Well, he gets there and goes to fill out the form. They then proceed to tell him that he has to be interviewed and the paper work process will take 10 DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!! So, he was not able to detect AT ALL!! >:( >:( >:(...we live 4 hours from this place, not like we can go anytime we want....oh well....

Today, driving down the road...an area I wanted to detect, was told by the city I could not....well, what do I see today....3 CITY WORKERS out there and going at it with a, what do you call those, I think PICKS...those big tools with pointed ends....anyways. One guy was nearly down to his waist in the hole and I can't remember about the other too...just a swinging that pick. Not a small hole either...I have no idea what they were doing...

But I guess what I am saying...they can go out and dig BIG HOLES and MESS UP THE PROPERTY, but I can't go and barely dig a little hole and you can't really tell I was there....sometimes I wonder if it's worth all the hassles.

I guess you just have to be in the right place, at the right time and talking to the right person.

Anyways..........HH..............Ann

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread