Best Two box detector?

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only have experience with Garrett's two box. It can respond to some surface trash, but that can be raked away. They are mainly for locating can sized targets and larger.

OP
OP
H

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Sandman. I guess what I am really concerned about, is due to alot of iron trash(nails, links, etc.) I get alot of mixed and false signals when detecting normal depths.
For this particular site I have changed to minelab and in four hours that has already helped immensely. Still do some unecessary digging.
The actual foundation is well below the surface and I wanted to give a two box a try to check for larger deeper possibilities( I also have a researched location I will most likely need one for soon).
However if I have to dig 3 feet to find out I'm falsing that is at this time more trouble than it's worth.
So does it actually bypass smaller shallower items or is there at least a considerable tone difference(easy to distinguish).

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
The 2 Box type detector will bypass small surface trash, but it will also bypass good small surface items. It is a kind of brute force deep detector for large items. I have used the old Whites 500x 2Box and now have a Hays 2 Box. I just found a .50 cal ammo box at 12' so that should give you an idea of their capabilities. Sandman is right. they will miss all of the surface goodies. I have used the Garrett with the two coil conversion but was not really impressed with it. Frank

rey914v8

Mar 25, 2011
Silicon Valley
Detector(s) used
Silver umax + 12x10
Hi Frankn, can you give me more information about the Hays two box machine. How much who carries it.
I'm planning a trip to Mexico in December to some secret locations.

OP
OP
H

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Frankn. I will be using an etrac for the surface area
Finds so not concerned bout that. The history of this particular spot gives me a hunch there may be some deep goodies.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
V8 I picked up my Hays 2 Box from a fellow member. I have seen them on E Bay. I think the manufacturer went into mining equipment and no longer makes them. Most of the TRUE 2 Box detectors are good. That is detectors with separate transmit and receive units. The Whites and Discovery units have one box in the middle , but they too transmit and receive from separate coils so they are both good. The Fisher Gemini is the closest to the Hays. I have a strong suspicion that Hays actually made them. They are also sold on E Bay. I actually like the old ones better if they use a currently commom style of battery. Forget the real old tube versions, You can't get the batteries and they are heavy clunkers. Hope this helps and watch your backside down there.

Frank

OP
OP
H

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So Frankn would that be a recomendation for the gemini then of the three.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Any one I mentioned will probably go down deeper than you want to dig, and the old ones are as good as the new ones except for the exception I listed. Here's an interesting one that is not a 2 Box , but will go down 5' with the optional large coil. The Whites Sierra Madra. It cost about $600+ optional coil. Frank

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
hosensack, You've got good answers so far. A 2-box unit is inherently a perfect "discriminator" of all the pesky un-wanted smaller items. It simply doesn't see pesky individual nails, pulltabs, foil, etc.... But also, it will miss individual pesky gold rings, coins, etc... too :laughing7:

They will only get targets soda can sized and larger, and will see through anything on the surface (ie.: even if the surface is blanketed with little foil globs, coins, tabs, nails, etc....) to get them. Of course, your "junk" will be larger cast iron junk, soda cans, hubcabs, paint-cans, and other such large junk items (of which there also could be tons at a burned down house site, for example).

As for which 2-box unit is the best: Ironically, the more "sensitive" a 2-box unit/brand is, is not always the "best". Because ironically, the guy using one of these DOESN'T want "more sensitivity", lest he start hearing the smaller fist sized objects. And since ANY ONE of them will already get a tool-box or mason-jar sized item deeper than you'd care to dig, then just about any 2-box (even the old school ones from the 1950s) will do the task just fine.

OP
OP
H

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone. I will be picking one up tomorrow. Most likely going to be the 808 or gemini(brands carried by local dealer) as long as he has one in stock it appears from the responses I need not be too picky.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread