Need help ground balancing the old Gold Master 2

douglas nc

Greenie
May 7, 2006
pleasant garden,n.c.
Detector(s) used
whites mxt,garrett gtax 400,bulls eye pin pointer
Hi Everyone, Just got this old GM2 and can't seem to get it to ground balance .Read manual ten times and still having problems.Also seems to recover really slow when scanning a target.Could one or more of the pots need cleanning with contact cleanner, or can that even be done? SENS. setting has to be below 8 not to overload. Set Tunner as low a hum as possible and still be steady.Have iron I.D. off and SAT. on when trying to ground balance. Only get slightly higher hum raising coil up and no sound as it's lowered.Nothing seems to change as "Coarse" knob is truned in either direction.Fooling around with the controls,I got it to barely pick up my small nugget (pinhead size) and scream out on other iron junk in ground.No ZIP ZIP sound, just a lower sounding rise in the threshold hum. Junk items seem to scream higher when scanned.Could easley miss a nugget if thats the best sound it makes.Maybe it's me as I 've never had a detector I needed to manually ground balance and I guess I should stick with my MXT; but I'd really like to learn how to do this if I could.Got this off e-bay, so it may have problems not mentioned.Hoping it's just me...Thanks to all for any information i'm missing...

Upvote 0

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have never owned a GM2 but for starters... try the hard reset function. Go from there. TTC

OP
OP
douglas nc

douglas nc

Greenie
May 7, 2006
pleasant garden,n.c.
Detector(s) used
whites mxt,garrett gtax 400,bulls eye pin pointer
Thanks for the reply,I'll try that..Feel I have a bad coil cable as I noticed wiggling the cable near coil gorment caused alot of breaking up in threshold sound, and i'd lose ground on any adjustments I had gained when it happens.Goes off(even not blanced) on any iron, but can't get it to pick up on group of four small pickers in a vial.But thanks again for getting with me on this.Looking for another coil without issues hopfully...lol Thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions