Maybe a honest coin dealer????????

dasherhunting

Jul 8, 2008
ohio
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Went to a fairly new coin dealer to feel him out since he opened a year ago in town. The ladies at the bank think hes great. Took 3 rings and a necklace all mding finds. Asked him what he was paying for halves and seemed to low for me . Anyway the small necklace and toe ring were sterling gave me 5 bucks for them one ring was plated kept it. The last ring I found 2 years ago and had 8 karat inside the band but badly tarnished. Said hed give me 40 bucks for the gold value but a collector would give me upwards of 200 dollars . Tols me it was from the german or european settlers in the area a wedding band said its safe to polish so i have slowly started. very wide band with lots of leaves or flowers around it a small banner with 2 sets of initials roughly etchted in it. Ring is small enough I am sure its a ladies anyway I didnt think I had much lol . Then he told me he buys all the silver coins from my bank which I have ordered my halves for years and they have gave me some stray silver coins so that kinda ticked me off. Anyway when I am done may post pics.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banks and your coin dealer are a business and need to make a profit. You must know the price of gold and silver spot though it changes daily. There are sites that give you the gold and silver value once you know the weight. Here is one site but this is only for scrap value. You could have sold a coin that was worth more than its scrap value.

http://www.dendritics.com/scales/metal-calc.asp

The "ladies" at the bank sell any silver coins they come across and that is why they refered you to the coin dealer. Sell your scrap gold to ARA as they pay 98% of the spot price.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions