Issues with ignorant people!!

playdan1

May 18, 2011
Sandown, NH
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I apologize for venting about this here, but i'm sure some of you have come across a situation like this before and I am curious what y"our opinions are.

I was detecting my favorite ball fields/park/soccer fields/tot lot combo area in one of the baseball field sections this past weekend when a man and what I assumed was his son showed up to hit/catch some balls. Being that it was a baseball field and i was just detecting, i yielded the field to the two of them. As I was walking off he said to me, "you better hope the cops don't catch you doing that". I looked at him and light-heartedly said, "oh, it's ok. The cops are fine. They know about it." and continued walking to the parking area which was dirt/rock that I continued to detect.

A little bit later, the two were leaving and the guy was driving, but he drove really slow, practically just creeping along and was videotaping me, leaning over the kid in the front to make sure he got me digging less than 2" in the dirt lot. He made sure to get my license plate number on video too. Really?? I mean, come on!! I'm sure he took it to the police station to show it. I've made sure for the most part that the fields are legal to hunt on.

I'm in New Hampshire. Anywhere is legal unless otherwise posted, which I have come across at some parks unfortunately, or unless it's private property or you get permission from a state park caretaker. It's not a state park. It's a town park. The only rules listed are the hours it is open and some 'slow down' signs. I've never been bothered there before, but he looked like an off-duty cop. In NH, it is illegal for him to videotape someone without announcing it first so for that one reason alone, I doubt he's a cop. Even if he was, and he called an on-duty buddy of his, I carry a copy of the state RSA statute that states it's legal, just in case.

So, I guess my question is, has anyone here had an issue like this before and what happened? I don't want this guy to go to a town meeting to propose a change to the local law forbidding detecting on town areas. I don't live in that town to educate/debate the issue at their meetings. And besides, that park has been my only 'hotspot' so far!! ;D

Upvote 0

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Re: Issues with [url=http://forum.treasurenet.com/words]--deleted--[/url] people!!

I'm new to MD'ing. So far the only inquiries I have had in regards to my activities came from a couple of Mexicans who were playing soccer at the field I was hunting. I told them I was searching for "monedas antiquias de Americano", but I was mostly getting "pinche basura". I pulled out a pocketful of clad and pull tabs to show them.

Haven't had any run ins with any rent-a-pigs. I wouldn't worry too much if I were you.

SeaninNH

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2010
New Hampshire USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Issues with [url=http://forum.treasurenet.com/words]--deleted--[/url] people!!

Don't worry about it. The only place you can't detect is Odorn Point in Rye.

dirty digger dude

May 16, 2011

Some people think they are the boss of everyone. I would have said if you don't leave me alone I am going to call the police that he was harassing me.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro

He probably thinks he's part of Homeland Insecurity. Ignore him.

If you really want to get him PO'd, record him and his license plate as well. And don't be subtle. What he was doing is harassment, which is illegal in most states. Sometimes people need to learn there are consequences for their actions.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

He might feel he is an Archaeologist.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Let this be an example to all of us, that even though you either a) checked to see if there was no prohibitions (and there wasn't), or b) even to the extent of getting EXPRESS permission (for those that are skittish and think that the mere lack of prohibitions aren't good enough) .........

that you can still get busy-bodies. Because let's face it, we're in a strange hobby that draws lookie-lou assumptions/connotations. And let's face it: some people are just kill-joys.

If anyone thinking of getting into this hobby thinks they are going to please everyone, and evade all snide comments, and thinks they are going to find parks that say "metal detecting and digging welcome here", then you've chosen the wrong hobby.

You gotta have a tough skin, and ability to be discreet, if you're going to hunt turf. This is why it's gotten to where I actually do most of my park/school turf hunting in very off/odd times, if not in the dark of night. So peaceful, so serene. No one to gripe :laughing7:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I would have walked right up to him, inches from his face, looked at him all crazy like with absolute silence at first, then I would have said, I was gonna give you the field but since you wanna run your mouth i'm staying, and then I would have told him that if one of your balls hit me i'm gonna sue your azz off. But then i've been off my blood pressure meds for the last week so... i'm ready to snap anyway. I hate nosey wannabe do-gooders, that's what's wrong with this country. Like the old Hank song goes- if you mind your own business, then you won't be mindin' mine!

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nearly every town or city has it's corps of busy bodies who think they are God's gift to do gooders. I'd just ignore him and hope you never have to meet up with him again. And he is a fine role model for his son too isn't he? It reminds me of the kid we all use to have in our elementary school who was the class tattle tell. The only way he or she, an otherwise dullard could get attention. I've met a few and try to control my composure but I usually have some smart ass remark to make, or I think of some really clever rebuttal I should have said after the fact. Being outspoken has got me into a lot of trouble when I was in grade school, but I am still learning. Sorry it had to happen to any of us 'cause I know how aggravating it must be. Monty

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

He should have said thanks for moving. Just be glad your a better person than him.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

;D ;D ;D I have ran Into this a few times !!!! The last time was at a Local Park!!! They were Having A Recycled arts Festival at the Time!!! The lady Complained that they were not allowed to Drive Stakes into to the Ground to Hold Up there tents And How Come I can Dig in the Ground!!!! DUH Driving stakes into the Ground will damage the Sprinkler Lines!!!! I only dig down a inch or 4 Most of the time what ever i find Is on the Surface!!!!
She did not like that Comment I told her See the Truck over there that Is the Supervisor for The Grounds People and The Same one that Is Monitoring you On the Tents!!!! His Name Is @@@@@@@@ Go and Complian to Him!!! Like the Typical Irritant she Did He told them as long as they are Detecting correctly and Not Killing the Grass It Is OK She was Very Irritated with us all day She even Said Because They were Renting the Park We were not Allowed to Detect there!!! Not When you rent the park It Is only the area that You set Up In all the other area is Still Pubic Property!!! I Pay the Taxes to Support It!!! HH Chug ;D ;D ;D Rember to treat The Property as I was Your Own Don't Make A mess and Have A Blast every time You go Out!!!! CHUG

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Chug and Red said:
;D ;D ;D I have ran Into this a few times !!!! The last time was at a Local Park!!! They were Having A Recycled arts Festival at the Time!!! The lady Complained that they were not allowed to Drive Stakes into to the Ground to Hold Up there tents And How Come I can Dig in the Ground!!!! DUH Driving stakes into the Ground will damage the Sprinkler Lines!!!! I only dig down a inch or 4 Most of the time what ever i find Is on the Surface!!!!
She did not like that Comment I told her See the Truck over there that Is the Supervisor for The Grounds People and The Same one that Is Monitoring you On the Tents!!!! His Name Is @@@@@@@@ Go and Complian to Him!!! Like the Typical Irritant she Did He told them as long as they are Detecting correctly and Not Killing the Grass It Is OK She was Very Irritated with us all day She even Said Because They were Renting the Park We were not Allowed to Detect there!!! Not When you rent the park It Is only the area that You set Up In all the other area is Still Pubic Property!!! I Pay the Taxes to Support It!!! HH Chug ;D ;D ;D Rember to treat The Property as I was Your Own Don't Make A mess and Have A Blast every time You go Out!!!! CHUG

Sweetie, you forgot the guy who asked us how we would like it if people came and dug in our yard! "I looked him straight in the eye and said"Cool! Your more than welcome!!!!" He didn't like that and stalked us all day, you could see him getting redder and redder! He was P.O.ed royally, and don't forget the smart allecs who love to throw change, then try to say you stole their wallets!!!! ::) We even had one guy who asked what was in my bucket, I told him trash, he asked why? and Chug said cause of other people leaving their garbage behind, he asked what do we do with what we find, chug said we keep it, put in an add and if no one claims it, we keep it! He said it wasn't right, and went to find someone to complain to, all they did was wave at us!!! :laughing9: Don't let them get to you, all they want to do is ruin your fun, and they are not happy til everyone around them is unhappy!!!! Red :thumbsup:

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro

Then there are the people who ask why you are using a Geiger Counter on park property.

Sometimes you just have to quote Forrest Gump: "Stupid is as stupid does."

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Tuberale said:
Then there are the people who ask why you are using a Geiger Counter on park property.

Sometimes you just have to quote Forrest Gump: "Stupid is as stupid does."

:laughing9: And laugh to yourself as you are walking away, or they do, if we let people like this get to us, they will have won by taking away a wonderful and exciting hobby!!!! >:( Red

OP
OP
playdan1

playdan1

May 18, 2011
Sandown, NH
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

Tuberale said:
He probably thinks he's part of Homeland Insecurity. Ignore him.

If you really want to get him PO'd, record him and his license plate as well. And don't be subtle. What he was doing is harassment, which is illegal in most states. Sometimes people need to learn there are consequences for their actions.

Homeland Insecurity!! So loving it! I have to quote you on that one and use it in my future harassment rebuttal. :evil6: Thanks and HH!

OP
OP
playdan1

playdan1

May 18, 2011
Sandown, NH
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

diggummup said:
I would have walked right up to him, inches from his face, looked at him all crazy like with absolute silence at first, then I would have said, I was gonna give you the field but since you wanna run your mouth i'm staying, and then I would have told him that if one of your balls hit me i'm gonna sue your azz off. But then i've been off my blood pressure meds for the last week so... i'm ready to snap anyway. I hate nosey wannabe do-gooders, that's what's wrong with this country. Like the old Hank song goes- if you mind your own business, then you won't be mindin' mine!

Funny you say that because he DID crack a ball out to the lot that landed about 10 ft away after I had given him the field, but before the taping. I mean come on, I had two young girls with me that were taking turns trying to MD. At the time I looked back and his kid ran up to grab it and apologized, but I was on guard after that. Then the taping and now I just wonder if he meant for that ball to come so close?!

OP
OP
playdan1

playdan1

May 18, 2011
Sandown, NH
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

Chug and Red said:
Chug and Red said:

Sweetie, you forgot the guy who asked us how we would like it if people came and dug in our yard! "I looked him straight in the eye and said"Cool! Your more than welcome!!!!" He didn't like that and stalked us all day, you could see him getting redder and redder! He was P.O.ed royally, and don't forget the smart allecs who love to throw change, then try to say you stole their wallets!!!! ::) We even had one guy who asked what was in my bucket, I told him trash, he asked why? and Chug said cause of other people leaving their garbage behind, he asked what do we do with what we find, chug said we keep it, put in an add and if no one claims it, we keep it! He said it wasn't right, and went to find someone to complain to, all they did was wave at us!!! :laughing9: Don't let them get to you, all they want to do is ruin your fun, and they are not happy til everyone around them is unhappy!!!! Red :thumbsup:

LOL my neighbor threw change out in my yard and yelled "there's 45 cents for you to find"!! Then i was finding it, he came over and asked if he could see how it worked, I let him and he was floored by it and now wants one for himself. Until he gets his own he now digs some of my holes for me, lol! :thumbsup: Thanks for your reply! HH

OP
OP
playdan1

playdan1

May 18, 2011
Sandown, NH
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

Thank you all for your replies! You reinforced what I had started to waiver in thinking was a legal, legitimate place to hunt and I will have nothing but the utmost confidence when I go there in the future. I really appreciate it! HH to all! :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

ryaan21

Apr 17, 2007
Gladstone, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 Garrett GTAx 550, Teknetics Delta 4000, Teknetics T2, Teknetics Omega 8000, Garrett AT Pro, Whites Coinmaster GT, Fisher CZ70 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Give the guy the finger. End of story.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread