Silver Historical Artifact Found in S.F. Identified & Returned!

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Silver Historical Artifact Found in S.F. Identified & Returned!

Last weekend I dug up a piece of metal that at the time I thought was a piece of junk. It was at a construction project at St. Ignatius Church in San Francisco. This magnificent church was built in 1914. When I dug it out of the ground I thought it was a aluminum dog tag or something similar. When I arrived home that night I washed it off and discovered that it is sterling silver. It measures 2" X 1". It has a name and letters written on it, it says: Rev. R.A. Gleeson, S.J.

Tow days later I contacted one of the associate pastors at St. Ignatius to see if he wanted the sterling silver oval and also asked if he could help with identification of the name. Last Saturday I met with the pastor and gave him the sterling oval. He was delighted and very excited about the item I had found. He said he would do some research on the item and get back to me. Below is the email I received form the pastor.

Dear Mike,

Greetings. With the help of my camera as a magnifier (and a nice sunny afternoon), I was able to decifer the name on the silver piece. It looks like Rev. R.A. Gleeson, S.J. / Portland / Oregon. If so, he was a much beloved Jesuit who first came to teach at USF, then was made first President of what was to become Loyola University (now Loyola Marymount) in Los Angeles, then President of Santa Clara College (University), then head of the California Jesuits (Provincial) and finally Prefect of St. Ignatius Church (for 35 years). He was much beloved in SF. The USF library is named after him!

Most of the previous information I got from the USF website and a Google search. The Province archivist confirmed the Provincial and Portland connections. The Provincial headquarters were in Portland for a while, so the silver piece might relate to that time period, 1914-1918. I'll let you know, if Fr. Kotlanger, the USF archivist, has anything to add to the above.

Hence, it was a great find! Many thanks for bringing it forward. The church celebrates its centenary in 2014. We are planning to make a time capsule for the occasion. The silver piece could be a great object to include. In other words, the silver might be buried again!

Best wishes,

Jim

Attachments

• St Ignataus Church.jpg
    St Ignataus Church.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 390
  • St Ignataus Church1.jpg
    St Ignataus Church1.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 385
  • Silver Medal266.jpg
    Silver Medal266.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 384
  • St Ignataus Church.jpg
    St Ignataus Church.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 381
  • St Ignataus Church1.jpg
    St Ignataus Church1.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 394
  • Silver Medal266.jpg
    Silver Medal266.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 382
Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Re: Silver Historical Artifact Found in S.F. Identified & Returned!

Cool story Mike. :icon_thumleft: And dontcha just love the "who-dunnit-mysteries" that accompany some of our finds? :read2:

Oh, and I like your pix of the scrape too. Keep it up, and you never know when a scrape like that, in a city as old as SF, could be a bonanza. Some demo. sites are lame fill dirt, or got too much scraped off, or whatever, but others can be the *just right* type ;D

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000

That is quite an interesting find and story. Tales such as these give the hobby a good name IMO. Keep up your good works.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

So instead of displaying it with a history of the item and letting people really appreciate it, they want to throw it into a time capsule that may or may not even be dug up again in the future? I guess I don't get that part. Why hide a piece of history from people? Nobody can enjoy it when it's buried in the ground.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

the dot type edging might have been used to say a rosary with. :wink:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

BAM!! Now THAT'S what I'm (we're) talking about! Put another tick on the pro md side. Nice! TTC

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR

looks like it's going back where it started for another treasure hunter. Think I would have mounted it in a plaque for display in the church. The contribution would have brought you a tax deduction and the church a memorable display. Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions