Is detecting allowed in Galveston Texas?? OLD school TR detector good on sand??

CRAZY-TEXICAN

Jun 15, 2009
Carrollton Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Quattro MP , Minelab Musketeer modified , Tesoro Bandido II micromax , Garrett Groundhog , D-Tex Koin King BFO
Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This website is all about hunting at your beach. http://www.nmhra.netfirms.com/pulltab/

As for using the TR in the sand, it is possible if you keep the coil scrubing the dry sand. No way are you going to get over 6" in the dry sand and none in the wet sand with a TR. Even if it was illegal, nobody would bother you.

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I asked that question when I was at Stuart Beach last week......No problem...

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ive hunted the seawall without incident.

Had no idea it might be illegal. Cops were everywhere because it was a holiday weekend.

OP
OP
CRAZY-TEXICAN

CRAZY-TEXICAN

Jun 15, 2009
Carrollton Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Quattro MP , Minelab Musketeer modified , Tesoro Bandido II micromax , Garrett Groundhog , D-Tex Koin King BFO
Well i found a couple of bounty hunter pioneer 101 detectors at a killer price and will be taking them instead of my old trusty TR ::) .. WHat can i expect from them as far as depth and accuracy at the beach ??

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With those detectors you can expect near 6" on the dry sand, close enought for recent drops. You won't be able to go near the wet sand because of them being unstable.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
It might be illegal to metal detect Galveston's Central Park as it is part of an old neighborhood that's on the National Register of Historic Places.

As for the beach parks, I think most if not all have a $5 entry fee (as of many years ago) I'm not sure if that's just for cars or if there's on street parking to avoid a $5 parking fee, or if streets have meters. Also, don't know if fees are collected or not when lifeguards aren't on duty-or maybe they're always on duty during park hours?

East Beach is the only park that allows alcohol (as of several years ago) , so that's where the young people gather during Spring Break. More pulltabs likely, but bigger crowd & drunks might lose more. Might be possible to get more info on parks & rec on Galveston city govt website. Best wishes, George (MN)

qkslvr

Oct 27, 2006
The Woodlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD/Garrett AtPro/Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All beaches in Galveston are OK except the State Park area on West Beach. Most people hunt Stewart Beach or East Beach, but East Beach doesn't have as much activity since Ike went through and destroyed the facilities there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread