Cleaning wheaties ?

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
You could use a tumbler with walnut shell media. I actually use my Gold Magic spiral set horizontally. I can watch them as they go by during the process. If they are real bad and you have nothing to loose you might try a short run in FINE aluminumoxide media. Try this at your own risk !
There is also a glass media which looks like small glass balls that is good for removing crud. It is slow in a tumbler, but faster in a blaster.
I restore historical items so I use all kinds of methods to clean items from mild acids to blasting equipment. To restore this blacksmith ax head I started with a hammer and chisel on the marble size rust growths, then a steel wire brush every day for a week after soaking it in water overnight. The final process was baking it in the oven and rust eating primer covered with flat black enamel. Frank

Attachments

• ax300.jpg
    ax300.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 360
  • ax300.jpg
    ax300.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 352

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Since you wont be finding too many wheaties, and knowing that if you do they will not be numismatically valuable, especially after acquiring years of acid rain corrosion and such, just rub 'em with a green scrubby and spend 'em. This does not mean much coming from me, I have a gallon jug full of dug wheaties. I folder any decent mint marked variety I find, but at the end of the day, they are only worth a cent, maybe two, simply because they need cleaning, and if I cleaned them, they would still be only worth a cent or two, because they were cleaned. I find plenty of wheaties in my change, they are clean and not worth much, maybe ten cents.

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• electro.JPG
    electro.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 348
  • electro.JPG
    electro.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 314

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Chukers please take my comment with a stainless steel spoon and more than a few grains of salt. I did not really think that your pics were before/after. But I am not sure. Are they? I always thought that cleaning with electrolysis removes the copper oxidation, thus removing all the detail while imparting an unusual pitted rough nasty orange funky appearance. The very best way to clean them is to keep them in your pocket jingling around with a bunch of other coins, for week after endless week. Or perhaps sandblasting.

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gleaner1 said:
If those are before and after shots of the same crusty wheaty, I'll eat my shorts. I got's the catsup ready and waiting.

it sure is... I was shocked too that it came out so good... after being in the jar 5 to 10 minutes I lightly scrubbed it with baking soda and water and it came out shiny!

I hear ranch dressing makes everything taste better... enjoy!

Chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gleaner1 said:
Chukers please take my comment with a stainless steel spoon and more than a few grains of salt. I did not really think that your pics were before/after. But I am not sure. Are they? I always thought that cleaning with electrolysis removes the copper oxidation, thus removing all the detail while imparting an unusual pitted rough nasty orange funky appearance. The very best way to clean them is to keep them in your pocket jingling around with a bunch of other coins, for week after endless week. Or perhaps sandblasting.

of course if you start out with a bad coin it won't get any better... what you see in the picture is mostly dirt... not much corrosion... most look good after some don't and you can ruin them by leaving it in there too long.

Chukers

cassrh

Greenie
Jan 8, 2010
I also use a tumbler (actually, it's a shaker), but with corn cob as the media. I wouldn't dare use in on anything of real value, but wheats clean up nicely, especially the steel ones.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
cassrh said:
I also use a tumbler (actually, it's a shaker), but with corn cob as the media. I wouldn't dare use in on anything of real value, but wheats clean up nicely, especially the steel ones.

Oh yeah? The steel ones? I cant believe you are shakin steel wheaties. I cant buy that. I'm sorry, I can't fall for it. Tell us more about how and why you are cleaning steel wheaties in your shaker. No, really, tell us, please. Do it.

cassrh

Greenie
Jan 8, 2010
gleaner1 said:
cassrh said:

Oh yeah? The steel ones? I cant believe you are shakin steel wheaties. I cant buy that. I'm sorry, I can't fall for it. Tell us more about how and why you are cleaning steel wheaties in your shaker. No, really, tell us, please. Do it.

Because I have so many, and fifteen minutes in corn cob media cleans them off nicely, and it's very gentle. It doesn't polish them, just takes the crud off. As to the why I did it, I'm in the process of dividing up my entire coin collection (nearly all bulk coins in jars)and putting them in ten jars for the Grand Children - everyone gets the same. Over the years, they don't look too good. Nearly all of them that I have came from collecting them as a kid. They were not uncommon at all in the 50's and 60's, all we had was wheaties. I don't recall ever finding a steel one with the detector. Question - why get so excited about shaking a steel for a few minutes????

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
cassrh said:
gleaner1 said:
cassrh said:

Because I have so many, and fifteen minutes in corn cob media cleans them off nicely, and it's very gentle. It doesn't polish them, just takes the crud off. As to the why I did it, I'm in the process of dividing up my entire coin collection (nearly all bulk coins in jars)and putting them in ten jars for the Grand Children - everyone gets the same. Over the years, they don't look too good. Nearly all of them that I have came from collecting them as a kid. They were not uncommon at all in the 50's and 60's, all we had was wheaties. I don't recall ever finding a steel one with the detector. Question - why get so excited about shaking a steel for a few minutes????

No offense intended cassrh. It's simply that I was just stupified that you would be shakin your steelies. Now I see what you mean. Spoil them grandkids rotten!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread