Metal detector experts - recommend which pro detector?

ottawadigs

May 11, 2011
Ottawa
I'm trying to narrow down my search for my next detector based on my requirements but there are so many models and functions out there that I'm having a hard time narrowing it down to a single machine. Each brand/model seems to be great in their own way.

Here's the "must have" requirements I've narrowed down

• Visual target depth indication
  • Visual best guess target ID
  • Auto Ground Balance
  • Target pinpointing function
  • Deep target finding - the deeper and accurately target ID it can go, the better
Also a nice to have function would be that the detector be programmable (not sure of the word), for example meaning I could load up custom settings for the coins of a specific country since I travel around. Does this sort of thing exist? I have no clue but anyways its not a "must have", just a "would be nice to have".

So I was wondering if any of you could list a few model recommendations. I'd be grateful.

From my search so far, I've found 3 that look real nice and if I could find a machine with all the features of all 3 models I'd be over the moon.
Whites V3i+Teknetics T2 SE+Minelab EXP SE Pro = dream machine? But who knows, maybe there's other models I should consider and that's why I'm asking the experts out there.

Also, are there any PI detectors that match all my requirements? I'd love to be able to have one for diving as well. Yes I know having a screen in murky water would be useless but we do have lots of clear days where visibility is great.

all help appreciated

Upvote 0

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No Pi detector will give you what you are looking for as none of them over a visual id system.

Of the upper end models, I would consider the F75 or the T2, primarily because they are lighter machines that have all the features you want and you can use them a long time without wearing out your arm.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think no such animal exists yet. PI's find all metals and aren't programmable. Coins are made of various metals, all with their own conductivities so that could be set in a program. However many coins that were not orientated properly would give different Id number. What you are asking is like asking for ONE golf club to complete a round of golf. You need different tools to do the job and practice using that detector so you know what it is trying to tell you.

As far as Pinpointing, you need zero motion pinpointing for accuracy.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
The Pro detector I recommend is the Garrett AT Pro. They got the bugs out of it starting about March, so just be sure the dealer got the newer ones.

It has non-motion pinpoint. Has auto ground balance & manual, too. You can put in reject/accept notches into custom & it will save the settings. Plus the programs in there can be altered but settings not saved there.

It has numerical target ID. In STD mode the detector is super simple with essentially no learning. I got a 7" deep dime after only about 5 hours use & it IDed correctly, too, in my rather bad soil (used manual ground balance).

In STD, deep coins are same volume as shallow ones. This mode is very quiet, and stable, you will hear nothing until over metal. Disc can be turned up very high with no loss of depth. Most rejected targets completely silent.

In PRO mode, deeper items give softer beeps. There are 3 tones when sweeping very slow but when sweeping at average speed the tone pitches are about same with a broken or doubled sound.

The 15 kHz operating frequency gives exceptional depth for nickels & gold, and other low conductors. 40 level iron discrimination to get goodies next to iron.

One can sweep at normal speed & do slow short sweep like Minelab wiggle to get the tones back. It has super separartion in this mode & is a little more hyper but sensitivity can be turned down slightly if desired. It has tone roll audio on bottlecaps (high & low tone) in PRO mode.

The detector weighs barely over 3 lbs, uses 4 AAs & can be used in water down to 10 feet (also no worries if it's raining). The stock coil is an 8.5x11" Double D. $594.95 is the MAP (minimum advertisable price) in US, not sure of exact price in Canadian dollars.

Optional concentric coils 9x12", 6.5x9", 4.5". It requires a special adapter ($33.95 MAP) to use with headphones other than the supplied non-underwater headphones or their water headphones (about $85). Many recommend Garrett Propointer pinpointer ($127+), range 1" dime, 1.5" quarter. It has beeps & vibration that gets stronger when closer, light on/off. Best wishes, George (MN)

jeepcj5

Jan 12, 2011
Nampa Idaho
Detector(s) used
Etrac, xterra 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Etrac baby!!!

Seriously , depends on what you want to search for.... like Sandman said 1 golf club can't do it all but if you're good with your 7 iron you can come close... so pick one that best suits your needs and like that 7 iron use the he!! out of it and get to know EVERY beep squeal chirp and grunt :read2:.... Seems knowing the machine is more important than brand, just spend your hard earned $$ on a good quality unit!!

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Visual target depth indication NOT NEEDED, STEER CLEAR OF THIS UNTIL YOU HAVE MASTERED THE BASICS OF AUDIO RESPONSE.
Visual best guess target ID THE AUDIO IS MORE THAN A BEST GUESS, LEARN THE AUDIO, KEEP YOUR EYES OFF THE SCREEN UNTIL YOU MASTER THE BASICS OF AUDIO RESPONSE.
Auto Ground Balance VERY GOOD, BUT NOT REALLY IMPORTANT. MANUAL GB IS FOOLPROOF.
Target pinpointing function MUST HAVE!
Deep target finding - the deeper and accurately target ID it can go, the better BIG COILS NEEDED FOR THIS.

Good luck!

Davemill

Greenie
Aug 22, 2009
Santa Cruz, CA
Detector(s) used
DFX with Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
gleaner1 said:
Visual target depth indication NOT NEEDED, STEER CLEAR OF THIS UNTIL YOU HAVE MASTERED THE BASICS OF AUDIO RESPONSE.
Visual best guess target ID THE AUDIO IS MORE THAN A BEST GUESS, LEARN THE AUDIO, KEEP YOUR EYES OFF THE SCREEN UNTIL YOU MASTER THE BASICS OF AUDIO RESPONSE.
Auto Ground Balance VERY GOOD, BUT NOT REALLY IMPORTANT. MANUAL GB IS FOOLPROOF.
Target pinpointing function MUST HAVE!
Deep target finding - the deeper and accurately target ID it can go, the better BIG COILS NEEDED FOR THIS.

Gleaner1 is showing his experience here. Listen to him!

The key point about audio vs target ID is that the biggest supercomputer in the world cannot match the pattern processing capability of your brain. If we dug rings every time the detector display flashed "ring", we'd all be rich.

joeman

Mar 19, 2011
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro, BH 840 VLF-TR
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd be VERY Careful with the Detector you choose for 'Canadian Coins'! Since you're in Ottawa and there's LOT'S of water, I'd suggest going with the AT PRO. It's works well in Fresh Water and does PHENOMENALLY well on land and gets to those DEEP targets with the Stock 'DD' coil. The 'IRON AUDIO' adjustment and quick Iron Audio On/Off button comes in VERY handy for all those 'Nickel Plated Steel' CRAP coins that we started making in 2000. My Buddy has the E-Trac and another has the DEUS XP and for some reason I do better than them 'almost' every time we go out...

The New AT PRO's also 'apparently' come with the new extension Arm, support Cuff and the Cam Lock system... They're 'tweaked' a bit different too and I noticed this with my friends NEWER machine... His 'sounds' a bit more pleasing and is picking up about the Steel Coins somewhat better as well. Anyhow, GREAT machine and when you combine it with a decent Pin-Pointer (Garrett PRO Pointer is my choice) you'll keep up (and even surpass) with the Expensive machines on land with no problem. Of course, since both the Minelab and the Deus are not for water use (drop either in the water, or take on a sizable wave and they're pretty much finished) , you'll certainly have the edge with the submersible feature of the AT PRO!

Cheers,

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For a all around waterproof machine look into th new AT Pro. Awesome all around machine. For AMAZING depth and speration look at the Fisher F75 LTD Or Teknetics T2 SE. They are crazy deep in boost mode and super lightweight. Both have 5 year warranty and come with 11" and 5" coils.
Holler if you have any questions or need better pricing options. Thanks, Bart

ahaulil

Apr 19, 2011
North Las Vegas
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Teknetics T2 SE and like it very much.
Here,in Nevada/AZ, many people use Minelab, White or Fisher.
I like my results vs a Minelab that cost 7 times more.

You don't "need" the best, just the best for you.
Practice , research, time will make for success!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread