Dog Days watch for the snakes

joeman

Mar 19, 2011
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro, BH 840 VLF-TR
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Woodland Detectors said:
Dog days start here in the next few days and snakes begin the shed. It's said snakes are more apt to strike during these periods because it's hard for them to see.

stay safe please!

Man, I am SOOOOOO glad we don't have that problem where I live! I friggin' HATE snakes and can't imagine coming across them while detecting. I saw that one GARRETT ATPRO video where the guy 'bumps' the Snake along and that thing was HUGE! Can't imagine taking a 'Hit' from one of those things, but I'd probably Pass out before it hit me anyway.... :o

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
Some people believe you can tell how old a rattlesnake is by counting the rattles, but since they shed a couple times a year a new button is added each time.. It is fascinating watching a snake shed. I've seen this a couple times. They will rub their head against a rough object to break the skin and then crawl out of the old skin. Quite often birds will use snake skin to build nests with. Ya gotta love snakes.

jeepcj5

Jan 12, 2011
Nampa Idaho
Detector(s) used
Etrac, xterra 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Snakes are TOTALLY kewl and so important to the eco system... we dont get dog days till August here in N Cal. it is neat to watch em shed tho!!!

terryo

Aug 13, 2007
north Florida
Detector(s) used
ace 250, 1974 Whites coinmaster 2/d
My wife, bless her heart, swept her coil over a coiled 4' eastern diamond back rattle snake a couple of weeks ago...didn't even see it ...and it really "rattled" her, pardon the pun.She doesn't get to go out much, and that ruined her day ! And it made me quite a bit more paranoid, as well ! Watch your step, people ! :o

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread