Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

stud564

Jun 7, 2006
algona, iowa
i was wandering about that too. i am going over seas this winter and wandered if the x ray equipment would ruin my detector. i don't know how the security will handle thou.

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
With all the crap that happened over the last week with the airline security, you might want to call and check anyway. I just went down to the dominican republic (july 22). I went and got a cheap, hard plastic gun case at Dicks sporting goods. Broke down both of my detectors and tools and such and put them in there. case came through a little scuffed, but everything inside was perfect.

With all the crap going on, I wouldn't even bother trying to bring the detector on the plane.
either way... call first.
steve

S

stefen

Monty,

I have the same problem with planning a trip to Northern California.

With the recent airport security problems, I said screw it...It will take me a 1/2 hour longer to drive than to go through the motions of driving to the airport, parking miles away, standing in the security (2) at LAX and then flying into Eureka and getting a car for 2 weeks. This way I will have a car available and my transport costs will be far less.

My sister, who lives in Laconnor which is north of Seattle is also driving south to hook-up.

I have used carry-ons before and didn't have a problem. In fact, my carry-on is a camaflauged military personal...

As a caution, just don't stencil 'BOMB SQUAD TEST GEAR' on the sides and you will be OK.

Place you screwdrivers, knives and other digging tools in your check-in bags.

skierbob

Jun 7, 2006
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-trac; Minelab Exp II; Troy Shadow X3; Garrett AT Pro.
You'll go through a lot of crap if you try to carry your detector on board, even if it is in some kind of case. They might not even let you. I break mine down and put it in an old White's soft, padded case. Then I lay that case in the bottom of my wheeled duffel bag and pile my clothes on top. The whole thing gets checked when I check in. I don't carry anything on board with me. Haven't had any problems that way.

rcasi44

Jul 24, 2006
NE Illinois
Unless they changed in the last two days they weren't permitting liquids or electronics as carry ons. It had to do with the lastest terrorists plan to blow up all those flights. I know it was ok last week. I'd call. Rob

BADDOG

Dec 21, 2004
Weeki Wachee, FL (north of Tampa)
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Monty, I travel almost every week as a matter a fact I'm in Toronto this week.
I don't think there would be a problem carrying it on. There should be plenty of room in the overhead.
I only saw a couple of bags people brought on board. I carried on my laptop and a camera without a problem their electronic. I didn't bring my detector with me this time but I will be taking it to Sacramento next week and Hartford the following week. I normally place a layer of clothes then the detector the another layer of clothes. I place a note on top that says "Metal Detector carfully packed within clothing please be careful, Thank You". Then check it. Only once I had TSA search my bag and mess up the way I had it packed, never since I put the note in there. Since there is so much room in the over head now I'm considering putting it in my hard case and bringing it on board with me.

Here's TSA info if you want to check:

For questions or concerns about Travel Tips, Permitted and Prohibited Items, and information on filing a claim for lost, stolen or damaged items, please call the TSA Contact Center.

Phone: 1-866-289-9673 toll-free
E-mail: [email protected]

Good Luck and HH

Baddog

B

BIG61AL

Pack it in your check in luggage and it will be fine....put it in two separate bags if think someone will steal it...this why we don't have matching bags....if the want it that bad they have to look in every bag to find the other hALf...
al

rcasi44

Jul 24, 2006
NE Illinois
I wouldn't wait until I got to the airport. I've taken drinks on the plane before, but I guarantee you couldn't last week. I saw on the Chicago news where they weren't allowing computers as carry ons and I've taken mine before. As I said it was last week during the alert. Who cares who is right, call and be safe. Rob

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the most current regulations check www.tsa.gov .
I would say that as of today that metal detectors would need to go in checked luggage, banned items similar are golf clubs, hockey sticks, bats. I would wash it before and after as the bag will be screened for explosives and a fertilizer residue as well as other chemicals may provied a positive reading.

Ed Donovan

Tabfry

Mar 29, 2006
Seattle area
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Not sure about the regs, and I have no other advice but to have fun here in Seattle! :D When will you be out here? The weather's supposed to be real nice for a while.

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll be in Seattle area from Aug. 27 until Sept. 7th. I am trying to set up a hunt with caratjuice, but we are having a hard time getting a date set where we both can make it. I sure hope something can work out 'cause I haven't a clue where to go except on some local parks near Lynnwood where my daughter lives. Any advice, let me know. Monty

-Jones-

Aug 11, 2005
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab GO-FIND 60 and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Since 911, I've carried on my detector without any problems. Round trip destinations from Kansas City to San Diego, Orlando, Tampa, Fort Lauderdale, Miami, Daytona, Las Vegas, and San Juan. One occurrence the checker had me open the detector bag but that was it. Until electronics are banned from carry-on I will continue to plan to carry-on.

An interesting note, one time a forgot to take my 12" butcher knife out of the detector bag and it ran through the machine. The checker had me open the bag and he pulled out the butcher knife! I thought I was going to be dead meat! Fortunately, it was able to explain and it was understandable to have such a tool with a metal detector. It was my best knife. He let me go out the secured area, then handed me the knife, and I had time to run it back to my vehicle! Only in Kansas City would I say that would have happen like that! 8)

stud564

Jun 7, 2006
algona, iowa
Ric said:
An interesting note, one time a forgot to take my 12" butcher knife out of the detector bag and it ran through the machine. The checker had me open the bag and he pulled out the butcher knife! I thought I was going to be dead meat! Fortunately, it was able to explain and it was understandable to have such a tool with a metal detector. It was my best knife. He let me go out the secured area, then handed me the knife, and I had time to run it back to my vehicle! Only in Kansas City would I say that would have happen like that! 8)
one time after 911 i went on the plane overseas and they took away my toy handcuffs >:( lol

S

stefen

Monty,

Never had any luck myself hunting with carrot juice ;D

Although eggplant works rather well.

Just funning ya.

Enjoy.

Tabfry

Mar 29, 2006
Seattle area
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Monty said:
I sure hope something can work out 'cause I haven't a clue where to go except on some local parks near Lynnwood where my daughter lives. Any advice, let me know. Monty

I'll be honest... I'm just a lurker here... I was give an inexpensive BH for Christmas last year and it gave me the bug. I've been on this site almost daily since. I've taken my MD out just a couple times and have been a bit dissapointed with it's proformance. I've decided that I'm going to get myself an ACE 250 once I can scrounge up the extra $ (gotta worry about getiing school clothes for the girls first). I haven't gone much because I really don't feel like digging a hole 1 foot in diameter for another bent nail. I'll get something that pinpoints a bit better.

If you're going to be in the Lynnwood area, check online maybe for spots in Everett-just to the north, or maybe Snohomish- a little ways to the east. I'm in BFE...er... I mean Gold Bar. That's about 45 min - 1 hr towards the mountains from Lynnwood.

Wish ya luck!

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monty,
Regulations are changing everyday. For a day or 2 you could not take any liquids, gels or electronics on the plane. Now you can take on medication, lipstick and electronics. I would get a hard case for your detector and be prepared to check it. When you do ask the desk if you have to check it in or if you can carry it on. If you are prepared either way you will be all right. Happy hunting.

Ed Donovan

rcasi44

Jul 24, 2006
NE Illinois
I agree with Ed. I've never had to check my detector but if I did I'd have to check on insurance. There have been several threads on this subject on another forum. The airlines usually have a limit of $200.00 per bag checked. That's not going to cover your detector. I'd also have some proof that I did check a valuable detector. Rob

zootman

Feb 1, 2006
Hunterdon County, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites, M6, Classic III, 5900 DI Pro Plus
As of last week at Newark airport you cant carry on. It could be used as a club! The TSA and Homeland Security will tell youy its at the discretion of the checker. I check mine in my suitcase and havent lost it yet!
Zootman

-Jones-

Aug 11, 2005
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab GO-FIND 60 and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thanks for the heads-up. I've never had any prob carrying on my detector but when I fly into Tampa this October, I believe I'll check her! IMO, the excalibur breaks down really good. 8)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions