Wanting to Get into Metal Detecting. Which One to get???

silverphoenix

Tenderfoot
Jul 16, 2011
I have never metal detected before and don't have the slightest clue how to. I've dug for indian artifacts, I've dug for fossils, but never dug or searched for anything metal. SO I know how to dig, but not how to search.

First off, I need good equipment. What's the best metal detector so far as getting the job done without being overpriced? I don't want a piece of junk, but I don't want to pay for some fancy gadget that I'll never use the full potential of.

Please advise!

Upvote 0

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
silverphoenix said:
I have never metal detected before and don't have the slightest clue how to. I've dug for indian artifacts, I've dug for fossils, but never dug or searched for anything metal. SO I know how to dig, but not how to search.

First off, I need good equipment. What's the best metal detector so far as getting the job done without being overpriced? I don't want a piece of junk, but I don't want to pay for some fancy gadget that I'll never use the full potential of.

Please advise!

In my opinion, the most important factor concerning someone new to the metal detecting game is to have an experienced MD'ing mentor. This is without doubt. Buy a good used machine for 3 to 5 skins (or a new one for 4 to 8). It's all or nothing.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
silverphoenix said:

Please advise!

You need to decide what kind of hunting your going to do first, you looking for coins, relics, jewelry, gold?
What is your budget for the detector? You can spend $200 or you can spend $2000 depending on what your wanting to hunt.....

Please, do not dig your targets like your digging for arrowheads or fossils, when your done recovering a target you want it to look like you were never there, not like someone was digging for something.....

Here are some couple posts from others who asked, we get the question you asked about 3 or 4 times a week at least....

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,412524.0.html

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,403485.0.html

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
When I was about ten I wanted a metal detector because that's how they were finding the good old bottle dumps in the mid seventies.
I bought my first machine in 93, a used 84 Garrett and man that thing has found over 100 coins in the last three weeks in the hands of my newbie buddy. I promise to post pics of the goose egg size sterling antelope broach he found with it. Just get one and get going.

OP
OP
S

silverphoenix

Tenderfoot
Jul 16, 2011
I'm always in Galveston island and would like to do some metal detecting on the beaches--coins, jewelry, etc.

I don't have a huge budget and would like to stay under the $200 mark if possible for a good one. Now by $200, I guess I mean a used one for that price or less--I would much rather buy one used than new.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
You probably will not be able to obtain a decent salt water machine cheap, new or used, its probably out of your range. If you stay high and dry on the sandy beach, you can pick up any number of good used machines that will keep you finding the goods, within about 2 or 3 franklins. Research ebay offerings or local classifieds. Good luck!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
silverphoenix said:
I'm always in Galveston island and would like to do some metal detecting on the beaches--coins, jewelry, etc.

I don't have a huge budget and would like to stay under the $200 mark if possible for a good one. Now by $200, I guess I mean a used one for that price or less--I would much rather buy one used than new.

Your not going to get a good saltwater detector for $200, even used.......Salt water is the hardest area to hunt for detectors because of the salt minerals.......A Good used saltwater detector is going to start at about $400 and go up from there, even a good entry level detector for land will run you more than $200 with tax........

If you just stay in the dry sand then most land detectors will work for you there, but once you move to where where the sand is covered with water during high tides is where your problems will start, salt water minerals are made up of metals, you detectors sees them and will constantly give you signals that there is something there.

I suggest you get an Ace 250 to start off and just go detecting, if you find you enjoy it and want to get into the saltwater where most of the jewelry is at then you can buy a detector for the water.......If your hunting in the water you will need a good water scoop and they run $150-$200..... If you waste your money on a cheap scoop for digging in the wetsand and in the water your just going to snap it in half.....

OP
OP
S

silverphoenix

Tenderfoot
Jul 16, 2011
Yikes! Well I definitely want to go where the jewelry is, so I guess I need to spend twice my budget....

Do you find enough to make it worth it? How long did it take you to find enough to pay for your first metal detector? (maybe this is a topic for another thread?)

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Since it seems impossible for me to find gold, it takes me a long while to pay for my machine. Took me about ten years and 200+ silver to pay for my cz20, which I spent 860 for delivered, in nov 94. One good hit will pay for a machine and then some. Its a crap shoot.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
silverphoenix said:
Yikes! Well I definitely want to go where the jewelry is, so I guess I need to spend twice my budget....

Do you find enough to make it worth it? How long did it take you to find enough to pay for your first metal detector? (maybe this is a topic for another thread?)

You could find enough in the first month or it could take years, all depends..... I found my first diamond ring in 3 weeks, but this year has been real slow so far.....If you buy a detector thinking it can be a good source of income your more than likely going to be very disappointed....Look at it as a hobby, buy what you can afford and see what happens....A lot of detectors that are sold used are sold by people who get into it thinking it is easy.....It takes a lot of time, research, work, patience and a little capital.....

Good Used water detector starts approx $400+
Good scoop $150-$200
Finds pouch $20-$25

Dirt fishing (land detecting) is little cheaper as you can get by with a small trowel and a nail pouch for a finds pouch, but there are some nice accessories that make things easier like a good electronic pinpointer.......

Just remember detecting is a hobby......that has the potential to pay for itself sometimes....... The thing is if you buy a good detector, land or water, you can always get most of your money back out of it, if you want to sell it, if you buy a piece of junk you will get very little back......

I enjoy the hobby, I have 6 detectors at the moment, my primary water machine is an Excal I bought used for $650, I added a SEF 12X15" Butterfly coil to it for another $200, and $25 for homemade straight shaft. I also have another Excal for backup/loaner, it has a 15" WOT coil on it, I paid $475 used for that Excal (rare to find them that cheap) another $90 for a used WOT coil, made a straight shaft for $25 so I have $590 in it......

All of my detectors have paid for theirselves except my Minelab Safari and that is because I just recently picked it up used for $600...

The main thing is to enjoy the hobby, if you start off thinking how long will it take to pay for itself there is a good chance your not going to enjoy it..

joeman

Mar 19, 2011
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro, BH 840 VLF-TR
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I sound like a broken record, but I can't say enough about the AT PRO! The newest ones have the Cuff Extensions and Cam-Locks and they may have been tweaked (electronically)... Water and Land use for $600.00 (although you CAN find it for $500.00) is a GREAT deal and you'll find everything that machines costing almost 3 times as much will... Also, you drop your E-Trac or V3i into the Water and you can Kiss your $1600.00 bucks Good Ridance! Submerge your AT PRO all you want! IT's a great Unit and you can 'literally' turn it on and start detecting.

Cheers,

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In the $200 range look at the Fisher f2. Lightweight, easy to use and has a 5 year warranty.
If you want to water hunt with a GREAT machine look at the waterproof Garrett AT Pro. Awesome all around machine.
I carry the brand new version with cam locks and extended arm shaft. Holler at me if you have any questions or need better pricing.
Thanks, Bart

allgold

Tenderfoot
Jul 16, 2011
Save a little bit more and get a Garrett AT PRO. Salt water is off set with it ground balance and it's also waterproof. The ace 250 is also a good machine from what I heard, but I would save a couple more bucks and get the PRO. Kellyco.com is a real good dealer and they throw in a nice pen pointer which you will also need. Good Luck :icon_thumleft:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Listen to Treasure Hunter and the others as they have years of experience at hunting saltwater. Starting out detecting is more expensive when you want to detect salt water for the reasons Treasure Hunter stated. There are many great land detectors that you can search the dry sand and also use on the tot lots and parks. One of the better ones is the Fisher CZ-6a. It is a land version of the CZ-20/21 and runs on two frequencies which make it good in the wet sand where most of the jewelry is located. It has a screen and is hip mountable.

As for when you will find enough to pay for your detector, that is decided by how often you hunt, and where. It is a hobby that will reward you with hours of entertainment. When you go fishing at the lake, you don't consider if the fish you catch will save you $$$ on your food bill or how much your rod cost... You do it cause you enjoy it.

You should visit this site to learn more. http://www.nmhra.netfirms.com/pulltab/ :read2:

Good Luck,
Sandman

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ace250...212.00 Best bang for your buck! .......Just google the ace250 & you will see how many use it! However more important you need a pinpointer (This will make your hobby 3 fold better!)

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
This is the broach found by my bud with my 1984 Garrett Freedom II, 6" coil, at an old farm house yard. Now, most any detector old or new would find this, it was about 4" deep. It's all about hittin' spots not hit yet. I didn't find crap that day with my cz20.

Attachments

• DSC06807.JPG
    DSC06807.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 211
  • DSC06809.JPG
    DSC06809.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 207
  • DSC06810.JPG
    DSC06810.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 208

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread