Fisher Goldbug Metal Detector

bluescorpion

Tenderfoot
Jun 29, 2011
Hi All

I recently purchased the Fisher Goldbug metal detector. I plan on using this metal detector specifically for gold nugget prospecting. I used it for the first time today and only found metal trash. I have another detector for that. How can I setup this detector just for gold prospecting and ignore everything else?

Right now I have the detector setup with the sensitivity at about 85 and I'm using "ALL Metal" setting at 12 o'clock instead of the "discrimination" mode because the detector seems to penetrate deeper in the "All Metal" mode.

If anyone has any tips on this detector I would greatly appreciate it. :dontknow:

Upvote 0

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Scorpion,
I have a GB2 and GMT. I have many hours on both machines. Check the archives for some of my posts. Here is the ONLY way I have found where you can detect gold and IGNORE everything else... Put a nugget on the kitchen table .... zero in... tune up... then put the machine away... your'e done! Yes, I'm making a joke of it but the bottom line is... there is no way to IGNORE everything else. Just jump in the trenches and slug it out! BTW... I have yet to find that nugget! But I'm still trying!!! TTC

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
Bluescorpion, "gold machines" are designed specifically for the needs of gold prospecting, but they do find all metals (that's why the "All Metals" mode is called that). If you're finding tiny pieces of metal, if you were to swing it over a gold nugget, you'd have found that too. Searching in the discrimination mode you can knock out most of the iron, but it'll cost you a bunch of sensitivity to the tiny stuff, and most gold is tiny stuff. The discrimination mode is for relic hunting and coinshooting, not gold prospecting.

I highly recommend that you download and study a copy of "Gold Prospecting with a VLF Metal Detector" by Dave Johnson, it's available on both the Fisher and the Teknetics factory websites. Not the only introduction to the subject there is, but arguably the best. Of course I may be a little biased.........

--Dave J.

OP
OP
B

bluescorpion

Tenderfoot
Jun 29, 2011
Thanks for the input guys. Woof, I'll download that info from Dave Johnson and study it. Appreciate the info. :thumbsup:

Nuggetville

Feb 28, 2011
Woof was dead on with that download! That is a great read. With the GB or GB Pro you can take advantage of the target ID numbers along the top. Terry was on the right track with the gold nugget test. Put some various gold in front of the machine, (rings, nuggets, etc.) and take a look at the ID number that comes up. You'll notice it is a different number than say, pop tops. This isn't set in stone but will HELP you dig less junk. Also gold and other "good" targets will have nice repeatable tones and ID numbers. If you have any other questions on the detector, PM me or email me. ( [email protected] ) I would be happy to help!

Nick

Nuggetville

Feb 28, 2011
For sure! The only time I would run in the discriminate mode would be in extremely trashy areas, like at a park or at the beach. The GB will work well in these areas, but doesn't compare to a dedicated coin/relic machine. Also make sure you are ground balanced and keep an eye on the ground balance regularly. The GB is not a auto ground balance machine so you have to keep on top of it.

OP
OP
B

bluescorpion

Tenderfoot
Jun 29, 2011
Hey thanks for the ground balance tip. I took the GB out the other day to try and get used to it but only found some old nails and old broken logging chains. BUT, I'm learning. I was planning on going out today but it's just tooooooo hoooooootttttt........ I'll try again in a few days and keep a closer check on the ground balance. Thanks again..... :hello2:

golddigger14s

Aug 14, 2007
Lawton, OK
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Where are you located? I have a GB2 and it will find small stuff, but you have to be in an area with gold. Also the coil size makes a difference, what size do you have? There are so many variables. I also know that with my other detectors that pull tabs show up the same as gold rings. Where to start, boy that is hard.

OP
OP
B

bluescorpion

Tenderfoot
Jun 29, 2011
I'm currently searching a friends creek in SC, but I go wherever I can get permission, which right now is not alot of places. I am using the original coil that came with the unit. It is a 5 inch DD coil. I'm just feeling my way around and following the advice of some of the pros here. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread