Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
What's HOT In Detectors?

I stopped buying and testing metal detectors about 2 years ago and I'm wondering if any maker has come out since then with anything really (I mean really) improved?

Or are we basically still talking the same old Explorers, Tesoros, Whites, etc., that have been around for a decade or more?

What's hot today?

Upvote 0

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: What's HOT In Detectors?

Badger can they get any hotter? I think all the top end machines are hotter than $2 pistols. What I am trying to say is that VLF technology has reached a plateau. Overseas there are interesting models that are so hot that they are illegal here, so they say.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

gleaner1 said:
Badger can they get any hotter? I think all the top end machines are hotter than $2 pistols. What I am trying to say is that VLF technology has reached a plateau. Overseas there are interesting models that are so hot that they are illegal here, so they say.
Tell me more.....or did I just take the bait? :dontknow:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Manufacturers are limited to the amount of power they can use in the detectors by the FCC. Foreign detectors have no such rules and can use lots more power. Our top of the line detectors seem to be in a rut, but they slowly add new features based on what the public says they want. This isn't good for many users as they still think if the screen says ring, why is it a pull tab......... :laughing7:

Garrett raised the bar with the AT PRO in a versatile light weight unit that can be taken in shallow water and it has a screen. Now only if it had a coil and earphone connector that was easy to plug into it would help a lot. Garrett has added improvements like a longer shaft for the arm rest and cam locks. These will increase the cost of the machine later.

White's still insists on shipping the water detectors with coils that float disregarding the other makers that use a resin inside the coils and they aren't all that heavy to use on dry sand. White's still doesn't have detectors approaching the weight of the AT PRO nor any of the Tesoro's and Fisher's.

Water detectors that have changable coils and head phones are at a premium. This is why the older Tiger Sharks and Sand Sharks command such high prices. These features are prone to failure or operator stupidity and this increases the cost of repairs to the manufacturers.

Can they make them cheaper? Of course just like GM, Ford can make cars cheaper but the public has to have power/heated seats, XM radio, inboard GPS systems, power windows, and the list goes on. All many of us want is a car with good mileage and goes from here to there without breaking down. If we want the extras we can order one with them, but the makers insist on installing the high price goodies anyway.

Geez, I didn't mean to rant on and on. Sorry guys. :coffee2:

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The way I understand it is "more power" isn't the answer. Kind of like putting 800 horse power in a stock chassis car. Too much power can be worse than too low of power.

Power on a metal detector is a balancing act, and is not a more is better situation. Over saturation/power would make a detector almost worthless. The answer for new technology is more features. One that can use more power efficiently would be great. Better ground mineral handling/tracking. More precise target ID. Notice I said precise and not accurate? I think the biggest advancements in detector technology has been in the target ID and ground tracking areas.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

The Garrett AT Pro is very hot right now. Specially since the upgraded ones with cam locks and and extend shaft just came out. Not my favorite machine but for the $ and abilities its VERY hard to beat!

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sandman said:
Manufacturers are limited to the amount of power they can use in the detectors by the FCC. Foreign detectors have no such rules and can use lots more power. Our top of the line detectors seem to be in a rut, but they slowly add new features based on what the public says they want. This isn't good for many users as they still think if the screen says ring, why is it a pull tab......... :laughing7:

Garrett raised the bar with the AT PRO in a versatile light weight unit that can be taken in shallow water and it has a screen. Now only if it had a coil and earphone connector that was easy to plug into it would help a lot. Garrett has added improvements like a longer shaft for the arm rest and cam locks. These will increase the cost of the machine later.

White's still insists on shipping the water detectors with coils that float disregarding the other makers that use a resin inside the coils and they aren't all that heavy to use on dry sand. White's still doesn't have detectors approaching the weight of the AT PRO nor any of the Tesoro's and Fisher's.

Water detectors that have changable coils and head phones are at a premium. This is why the older Tiger Sharks and Sand Sharks command such high prices. These features are prone to failure or operator stupidity and this increases the cost of repairs to the manufacturers.

Can they make them cheaper? Of course just like GM, Ford can make cars cheaper but the public has to have power/heated seats, XM radio, inboard GPS systems, power windows, and the list goes on. All many of us want is a car with good mileage and goes from here to there without breaking down. If we want the extras we can order one with them, but the makers insist on installing the high price goodies anyway.

Geez, I didn't mean to rant on and on. Sorry guys. :coffee2:
No apology needed Sandman, thanks for the insight.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other

What a terrible reality it is that the most modern detectors are essentially an anachronism today, if not a profound enigma, simply because there is nothing to find anymore, deep or otherwise.

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Results vary from one person to another but for the most part "whats hot and whats not" are determined from the experience of the majority.

For example, the E-Trac is hot because the majority of people who have tried/used it agree it is better than most at what they use it for. Of course you have those who don't like it at all, but they are the minority. Then you have those that a few people find to be good for them, but the majority didn't care for them. They are put in the not hot category or average.

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

All those videos show is that the Compass video is the only one that knows how to properly use their detector. Either that or they are intensionally trying to make the others look bad.

First of all the people obviously don't know how to use a Minelab. They are swinging it like they are in a race. Notice the Minelab picks the coin up when they slow down to the speed that detector should be swung at? Play the Compass video and the Garrett video at the same time and see the difference in swing speed. What a joke. Hum, what size coil does that old detector have? Hum, isn't a smaller, concentric, coil better for separation? Now take the old vintage detector out to the local park for some deep coin hunting and lets see how it compares to the E-Trac. Yup, I thought so. Cheap attempt at making something look better than it is. Misleading at its best.

Again I ask, where are all these faithful vintage detector users if they "rock" so much? Yup, I thought so. I guess the majority of people are just too stupid to realize they are wasting their money on all these new bells & whistles machines. LOL.

Here you want to see another nail video?

[youtube=425,350]hVzW5B5mMr0[/youtube]

George (MN)

May 16, 2005

I haven't watched any of these videos yet, so will leave most of my comments for later. If they were really interested in being able to separate coins from nails,
why wouldn't they try the experiment using smaller coils? Perhaps I can find out how/why they did these tests after I watch. Best wishes, George (MN)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Any video test can be manipulated to give you any result the person making the video wants it to make. I judge what my detectors do on how they respond for me..... I have hunted with a lot of Minelabs and I love the way they respond to targets and to iron in my area.......Larry you have consistently said Minelab sucks in your area, but yet there are Minelab users there that swear by them....

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tell ya what then. I'll do another video with my DFX using the same setup you used, but of course I'll swing my DFX at the proper speed, and We'll see the results. I know the results without even trying but I'll do the video anyway.

Brand loyalty has nothing to do with it. I'd use a turd on a stick if it will do the job. I've owned pretty much every detector you have tested there. I know what they can and can't do in the real world.

and this is why nobody posts it's nail board test online because quite frankly, they don't wish to be embarrassed like the Etrac and AT Pro owners are.

OK now thats just absurd. I'll gladly reproduce your *cough* "nail board test" with my DFX. You obviously are swing all but the Compass way too fast. Now the Omega is a fast responding detector, but thats about it. I didn't care for the basic functionality of it. I like a little more meat with my potatoes. LOL.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005

I will have to watch the videos again to notice some generally small differences. I'm surprised they were able to get high tones on a coin surrounded by nails on almost every detector most of the time, including many long fast sweeps like we may use in low trash locations. Best wishes, George (MN)

George (MN)

May 16, 2005

Watched the videos a couple more times & took notes. What I learned:

E Trac: Don't sweep fast amongst a bed of nails with nails rejected;

Garretts: Sweep a couple times over same spot as coin amongst several rejected nails is intermittent in what was apparently Pro mode. I like the other STD mode better overall but probably still worse for separation. Wonder how the 40 level iron rejection was set, a factor in results??

Compass Coin Scanner Pro II: did good, but were the smaller coils an advantage?

Teknetics Omega 8000: did good but didn't understand why they were showing it with shorter sweeps & coil only movement done by hand? Was it so they could move the coil faster?

General: They didn't show accuracy of visual IDs, which I often use when deciding to dig. Did they said anything about settings? (it wasn't in English). I know lower sensitivity can improve separation. Are there other settings that might change results? Wonder if settings adjusted for best or worst case?

Thanks for posting those LuckyLarry. Best wishes, George (MN)

Shambler

Aug 18, 2008
Under the Trees

Man those videos are misleading.... I actually feel bad for folks that fall into stuff like that.

Number one, they are setting up each detector differently - which is why the etrac is nulling and the omega is grunting (actually detecting the iron). I challenge anyone to set up your Omega to do well in that test and then try to hunt with it. After 30 holes of iron targets, I bet you'd change. If you open up the etrac and use 2 tone, you'll hear that dime, WHILE masking out 90% of the iron. I believe what they are doing is incredibly uninformed or intentionally misleading.

The old compass detector barely has the nails discriminated out, so it is really reading iron but with a slightly higher conductivity than the nails on the board so it beeps, but if you add a larger piece of iron, you'll detect it as being good as well (and unfortunately have to dig it). You can't hunt with the old one in that state or you'll be digging up all iron larger (or in a different shape) than those specific nails. By the time you turn that discriminate knob to a point that discs all iron, you couldn't hear a silver dollar in the middle of those nails. It just looks good in those videos.

Then you have to coil size difference ..... these videos are just a mess.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Shambler said:
Man those videos are misleading.... I actually feel bad for folks that fall into stuff like that.

Number one, they are setting up each detector differently - which is why the etrac is nulling and the omega is grunting (actually detecting the iron). I challenge anyone to set up your Omega to do well in that test and then try to hunt with it. After 30 holes of iron targets, I bet you'd change. If you open up the etrac and use 2 tone, you'll hear that dime, WHILE masking out 90% of the iron. I believe what they are doing is incredibly uninformed or intentionally misleading.

The old compass detector barely has the nails discriminated out, so it is really reading iron but with a slightly higher conductivity than the nails on the board so it beeps, but if you add a larger piece of iron, you'll detect it as being good as well (and unfortunately have to dig it). You can't hunt with the old one in that state or you'll be digging up all iron larger (or in a different shape) than those specific nails. By the time you turn that discriminate knob to a point that discs all iron, you couldn't hear a silver dollar in the middle of those nails. It just looks good in those videos.

:icon_thumleft:

Which is why i made the statement below Shambler.........

Treasure_Hunter said:
Any video test can be manipulated to give you any result the person making the video wants it to make. ....

I have personally used my Excal and dug a gold ring with a piece of iron in the same scoop, it nulled one direction but gave me a good signal the other direction.....

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Shambler said:

Looks like LuckyLarry is not the only one that knows a little something about detectors. :icon_thumleft:

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sorry Larry if I don't throw a crown of grandeur your direction just because you feel you know all there is to know about detectors. I built my first guitar in the late 60's and it has done nothing toward making me a better guitar player. I've been detecting for well over 30 years and have tested more detectors in the last few years than most people will ever use in their lifetime, and I don't consider myself a expert by any means. I learn new stuff from beginners all the time. Detecting is an ever changing pursuit. What worked 20 years ago is practically worthless today.

You sound like another self-proclaimed expert in detector'oligy I see people bowing to because he is a engineer. If being an engineer makes you automatically the expert then I guess I can label myself and expert as well. Sadly I don't think it helps one bit in using a detector, but maybe it impresses everyone else?

I see you're one of those vintage thumper's. I like nostalgia as well as the next guy, but I'm not foolish enough to believe 25 year old detector technology is better than todays. I had a friend bring his vintage detectors down last year for some comparisons. He was quite sure of his expertize as well. We went to our city park him with his older machines and me with the E-Trac. He went home with 1 buffalo, and a new respect for new technology, and I went home with 13 keepers. I welcome you anytime to come-on-down for some education.

I did my time with the BFO's the TR's the TR/VLF's the TR discriminators/VLF's and finally the VLF discriminators. Every one was an improvement over the last without a doubt. The BFO's were lucky to find a Volkswagen at 3' but weren't bad for relic hunting. After years of experience, and a lot of luck, you might get 4-5" depth on the TR's. Learning to maintain a constant coil height was the key to success. The VLF's finally started to get some depth but lacked any good ground mineral systems. None of these could even compare to todays entry level detector. I used many many Compass detectors in the past and they were at best average. Garrett, White's and Tesoro were the leaders. My guess is that explains why Compass is no longer in business after the fire?

Now that being said, I will say all detectors have a place where they can, and do, excel, even the older ones. I still like the response of the TR detectors. Sensitivity can be adjusted by lifting or lowering the coil. Very sensitive to small gold targets.

The right tool for the right job and no tool is right for every job.

I don't mean to come off as a jerk but what gets me bent out of shape are posts that really serve to mislead those new to the hobby. Anyone with any experience knows BS when they read/see it. What happens when someone new to detecting reads this post and goes out and buy them a 30 year old POS expecting it to perform better than a new one because some thoughtless individual made the claim? Ya he comes back on here later and says WTH? I got my butt handed to me by a $60 new detector. ONLY THEN do you tell them Oh by the way, I forgot to mention it would take you years and year of practice with that detector to even hope to compare to a $60 detector of today.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Digger said:
Sorry Larry if I don't throw a crown of grandeur your direction just because you feel you know all there is to know about detectors. I built my first guitar in the late 60's and it has done nothing toward making me a better guitar player. I've been detecting for well over 30 years and have tested more detectors in the last few years than most people will ever use in their lifetime, and I don't consider myself a expert by any means. I learn new stuff from beginners all the time. Detecting is an ever changing pursuit. What worked 20 years ago is practically worthless today.

You sound like another self-proclaimed expert in detector'oligy I see people bowing to because he is a engineer. If being an engineer makes you automatically the expert then I guess I can label myself and expert as well. Sadly I don't think it helps one bit in using a detector, but maybe it impresses everyone else?

I see you're one of those vintage thumper's. I like nostalgia as well as the next guy, but I'm not foolish enough to believe 25 year old detector technology is better than todays. I had a friend bring his vintage detectors down last year for some comparisons. He was quite sure of his expertize as well. We went to our city park him with his older machines and me with the E-Trac. He went home with 1 buffalo, and a new respect for new technology, and I went home with 13 keepers. I welcome you anytime to come-on-down for some education.

I did my time with the BFO's the TR's the TR/VLF's the TR discriminators/VLF's and finally the VLF discriminators. Every one was an improvement over the last without a doubt. The BFO's were lucky to find a Volkswagen at 3' but weren't bad for relic hunting. After years of experience, and a lot of luck, you might get 4-5" depth on the TR's. Learning to maintain a constant coil height was the key to success. The VLF's finally started to get some depth but lacked any good ground mineral systems. None of these could even compare to todays entry level detector. I used many many Compass detectors in the past and they were at best average. Garrett, White's and Tesoro were the leaders. My guess is that explains why Compass is no longer in business after the fire?

Now that being said, I will say all detectors have a place where they can, and do, excel, even the older ones. I still like the response of the TR detectors. Sensitivity can be adjusted by lifting or lowering the coil. Very sensitive to small gold targets.

The right tool for the right job and no tool is right for every job.

I don't mean to come off as a jerk but what gets me bent out of shape are posts that really serve to mislead those new to the hobby. Anyone with any experience knows BS when they read/see it. What happens when someone new to detecting reads this post and goes out and buy them a 30 year old POS expecting it to perform better than a new one because some thoughtless individual made the claim? Ya he comes back on here later and says WTH? I got my butt handed to me by a $60 new detector. ONLY THEN do you tell them Oh by the way, I forgot to mention it would take you years and year of practice with that detector to even hope to compare to a $60 detector of today.

:icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread