Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
What's HOT In Detectors?

I stopped buying and testing metal detectors about 2 years ago and I'm wondering if any maker has come out since then with anything really (I mean really) improved?

Or are we basically still talking the same old Explorers, Tesoros, Whites, etc., that have been around for a decade or more?

What's hot today?

Upvote 0

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Re: What's HOT In Detectors?

OK Digger, I did mention that it was a plate! I like to base my comments on facts and not make unfounded comments so I just went out and got my XLT from my motorhome. The batts. were low at 11V, I have worked 3 beaches on those batts. I didn't have a real full VW so I used my dune buggy which was a '64 VW. I used the coin & jewelry mode. It picked up at 25". Believe it or not the MH also picked up at 25". Now to the actual test. The dime air tested at 11" actual measurement. It actually tested better with a fast swing!OK Digger, lay it on me, what does yours do.

Hunter, have never seen a detector that tested better in the ground than in air.
The only difference is the resistance of the earth which drops the signal.
Of course that is just what I have seen in actual tests. And working in electronics, it seems to follow theory. Frank
PS: A little note before someone calls me on it. The Earth really conducts RF signals fairly well, it's the mineralization that is the resistance and it varies widely. That's why the air test is a valid standard.

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I guess I'm missing the point. Since we're talking about finding coins, what does a plate or Volkswagen have to do with this subject? As a general rule <- NOTE you will get roughly the same depth as your coil size on coin sized targets. Yes under the right conditions you might get slightly more or less.

I do agree that the air test is as good as you're going to get on depth. Again, there are always exceptions to the rule, but that is the rule.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Frankn said:
Hunter, have never seen a detector that tested better in the ground than in air.
Of course that is just what I have seen in actual tests. And working in electronics, it seems to follow theory. Frank
PS: A little note before someone calls me on it. The Earth really conducts RF signals fairly well, it's the mineralization that is the resistance and it varies widely. That's why the air test is a valid standard.

F. Can't tell you why, but ask anyone who has used an Excal or Sov GT how they airtest, they will tell you lousy, but in the ground they get amazing depth....

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other

Treasure_Hunter said:
Frankn said:

F. Can't tell you why, but ask anyone who has used an Excal or Sov GT how they airtest, they will tell you lousy, but in the ground they get amazing depth....
Come on now....TH... Amazing depth..... I got a Sovereign that will not get any more depth than my 1500.....on a coin......

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used

Digger, I was talking about how to test the sensitivity of a detector, not about how to find coins. I realize you used the VW as a jest so I went along with it.
I think we agree on the air test, but I am still leary of the coil to dept ratio. The detector gives you the depth. The coil is merely two wire loops. The larger coils merely spread out the same power output of the detector. In fact if you get past a certain size, the coil will not even pick up a small object like a coin.
The processing of the detector is the thing that gives you the ability to pick up coins at greater depth. If you put the same size coil on a basic unit and a high end unit, the high end unit will allways go deeper!

The electronic theory works like this: the further you spread the distance between the transmit coil loop and the receive loop, the deeper it will detect objects. The kicker is that once you spread them so far, you have lost the ability to pick up small objects. Think of a 2Box setup.
The concentric has one coil loop inside another loop. the bigger the loop the futher you spread them apart.
The DD style has the coil loops side by side so the bigger the coil the further you separate the edges. slightly different, but the same theory.
Well I guess that is enough theory for a post. Frank

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well Frankn I will say that the depth standard I'm quoting is rather old. Technology may have changed things, but that is the way it used to be. If you had a 6" coil you could expect to get 6" with all things being equal.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Keppy said:
Treasure_Hunter said:
Frankn said:

Come on now....TH... Amazing depth..... I got a Sovereign that will not get any more depth than my 1500.....on a coin......

Keppy, I have 2 Sov GTs and they both get great depth.....Maybe your soil is different there.....I have pulled coins and gold targets in the 15"+ range using the WOT coil and even more with the SEF 15"x18" Butterfly coil.......

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used

Treasure_ Hunter: Whites has a detector that it calls the Sierra Madre. They claim 5 feet depth with their 13 coil. Maybe you should check it out. Frank

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Treasure_Hunter said:
Frankn said:

My Sov GT w/WOT coil gets about 6-7" in air test. I have pulled quarters at 14"+ in wet sand.

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs

Michigan Badger said:
I stopped buying and testing metal detectors about 2 years ago and I'm wondering if any maker has come out since then with anything really (I mean really) improved?

Or are we basically still talking the same old Explorers, Tesoros, Whites, etc., that have been around for a decade or more?

What's hot today?
:notworthy: :notworthy:

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I would think the answer to this is pretty obvious. You can go to a few specialty boards and see a lot of posts about old dried up sites being rejuvenated thru the use of newer detectors. I personally have experienced this myself. I've been hitting our city park for more than 20 years with every type of detector I could get my hands on, and only in the last few years has detectors improved to the point that this park is worth hunting everyday again. I see the same thing happening all around the globe and mainly with a few detector models. Seems obvious.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used

Gleaner 1 has a point. They are all probably running max power. The FCC allowes you to transmit on certain frequencies at a set power output with no license. Once you exceed that output you need a license to operate the unit and the unit has much higher standards to meet. The main reason for this is to eliminate interference with other electronic equippment. Frank

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I thought along the same lines Frankn but when I asked a detector tech if it was the case I was told No. He said that it was a "balancing act" between power and over saturation. The FCC had nothing to do with the power the choose to use, but more a stability issue.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other

Digger said:
I thought along the same lines Frankn but when I asked a detector tech if it was the case I was told No. He said that it was a "balancing act" between power and over saturation. The FCC had nothing to do with the power the choose to use, but more a stability issue.

Digger good point. But the fcc does in fact regulate output power of rf devices. They must to ensure proper function of upper level stuff like communications, police radios, avionics, on and on. Theoretically, you can go deeper if you can transmit more power.

LukeTHr

Dec 13, 2005
kansas
Detector(s) used
whites xlt & tesoro tejon whites spectra v3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Not intending to raise a stir, but from my Ham radio and CB radio experiences, the FCC is probably not watching metal detector manufacturers too closely. I base this on the fact that there are guys out there running into the thousands of watts in transmission power all the time on CB and rarely if ever is anything done to stop it. Ham radio has it's share of a$$hats that are pretty much ignored also. Couple that with the fact that all kinds of electronic equipment today emits interference because of cheap construction it isn't even funny. I would have to believe that most detector power is most likely based on the need for a stable signal so the operator doesn't get frustrated by erattic (sp) signals and quit the hobby. I think that the metal detector industry here in the U.S. is still taking pride in the product they produce and aren't out to crank out just to just turn a fast profit. At least, that is my take on it.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If you guys say some detectors will detect a coin deeper in the ground than it will in an air test, I believe you. But does anyone know why? :dontknow:

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

lookindown said:
If you guys say some detectors will detect a coin deeper in the ground than it will in an air test, I believe you. But does anyone know why? :dontknow:
moisture conducts signals ,,, That's why the doctors use a lubricant when doing a ultrasound .

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

extractor said:
lookindown said:
moisture conducts signals ,,, That's why the doctors use a lubricant when doing a ultrasound .

That is why you get louder and deeper signals in the rain or after a rain when the ground is good and wet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread