Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
What's HOT In Detectors?

I stopped buying and testing metal detectors about 2 years ago and I'm wondering if any maker has come out since then with anything really (I mean really) improved?

Or are we basically still talking the same old Explorers, Tesoros, Whites, etc., that have been around for a decade or more?

What's hot today?

Upvote 0

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: What's HOT In Detectors?

Sorry but I don't believe Eddy currents, as they apply to a metal detector frequency, are affected by moisture.

If you're only getting 6-7" on youSovereigngn in the air then you got a problem. MSovereigngn GT got just about the same depth on an air test that I got in the ground. Just like 100% of every detector I've owned. Not a one got any deeper in the ground than in the air with the exception of coins that had been in the ground a long time(hallo effect?). But they were the exception and not the norm.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Digger said:
Sorry but I don't believe Eddy currents, as they apply to a metal detector frequency, are affected by moisture.

If you're only getting 6-7" on youSovereigngn in the air then you got a problem. MSovereigngn GT got just about the same depth on an air test that I got in the ground. Just like 100% of every detector I've owned. Not a one got any deeper in the ground than in the air with the exception of coins that had been in the ground a long time(hallo effect?). But they were the exception and not the norm.

Digger, you can believe what you want, but your wrong.

I have 2 Sov GTs, both get about 6-7 inches on an airtest, and both get over 14" in the ground using my WOT or SEF coils. I also have 2 Excals with WOT and 12"x15" SEF Butterfly coils spliced on and the same with them, maybe 6-7 inches or airtest but I am pulling targets over 14" inches with both when I hunt with them...............I use to own another Excal that I sold, I got the same with it as well.....

I know Wille D gets the same on his Sov GT as well...........

willie d said:
My Sov GT w/WOT coil gets about 6-7" in air test. I have pulled quarters at 14"+ in wet sand.

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ya I believe what I see. Here ya go. A video of a Sovereign getting easy 10" on a small gold ring. So much for your 6-7" huh! I guess you all should send in those broken detectors LOL.

Also odd is that no one seems to have caught that 14" in the ground on video yet. Hum? Kind of like Bigfoot I guess? My Sovereign was deep but not much deeper than any other detector I've owned. Yes 14" under the right conditions but to say 14" consistently is stretching it a bit I believe.

[youtube=425,350]IL0gR2nRKu0[/youtube]

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Digger said:
Ya I believe what I see. Here ya go. A video of a Sovereign getting easy 10" on a small gold ring. So much for your 6-7" huh! I guess you all should send in those broken detectors LOL.

Also odd is that no one seems to have caught that 14" in the ground on video yet. Hum? Kind of like Bigfoot I guess? My Sovereign was deep but not much deeper than any other detector I've owned. Yes 14" under the right conditions but to say 14" consistently is stretching it a bit I believe.

My detectors are working just fine so no need to send them in. I don't hunt in Kansas, I hunt beaches in Florida the depth I get is on the saltwater beaches, I do not take a video camera with me when I go hunting either....

I know what depth I am getting on my detectors with the coils I have on them. I personally don't care if you believe me or not, I know what depth I get on my detectors, just as Wille D knows what depth he gets on his....

Truth be known it is to our advantage that people don't believe me......

Why do you think people get so many more deep targets when they detect in the rain or after a hard rain, it is because of the heavy mositure in the ground....

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023

Treasure_Hunter said:
Digger said:

My detectors are working just fine so no need to send them in. I don't hunt in Kansas, I hunt beaches in Florida the depth I get is on the saltwater beaches, I do not take a video camera with me when I go hunting either....

I know what depth I am getting on my detectors with the coils I have on them. I personally don't care if you believe me or not, I know what depth I get on my detectors, just as Wille D knows what depth he gets on his....

Truth be known it is to our advantage that people don't believe me......

Why do you think people get so many more deep targets when they detect in the rain or after a hard rain, it is because of the heavy mositure in the ground....

The deepest targets I've dug were always in bone dry soil. Always. The 12-14 inch coins. It takes a LOT of rain and water to saturate the ground that deep to begin with. So I'm off the reservation on this one.

Add to that the electrolytic component of varying soils, especially with moisture added, and you have a recipe for more target masking, poorer ID of targets and target separation issues at depth.

I do think there's a break point in how and where moisture affects target availability, mostly found in the mid range targets but that's just me.

I've hunted during and after heavy rains and often times the ground will only be wet down to 4-5 inches and it's in these ranges where a lot of the mineral, chemical and small metal components combine to seemingly create an additional barrier to the signal characteristics of detectors. IMHO of course.

Now which is more compact, thus allowing easier access to those deeper targets? Dry ground or saturated ground? Wet ground still expands upward, does it not?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Lowbatts said:
The deepest targets I've dug were always in bone dry soil. Always. The 12-14 inch coins. It takes a LOT of rain and water to saturate the ground that deep to begin with. So I'm off the reservation on this one.

Add to that the electrolytic component of varying soils, especially with moisture added, and you have a recipe for more target masking, poorer ID of targets and target separation issues at depth.

I do think there's a break point in how and where moisture affects target availability, mostly found in the mid range targets but that's just me.

I've hunted during and after heavy rains and often times the ground will only be wet down to 4-5 inches and it's in these ranges where a lot of the mineral, chemical and small metal components combine to seemingly create an additional barrier to the signal characteristics of detectors. IMHO of course.

Now which is more compact, thus allowing easier access to those deeper targets? Dry ground or saturated ground? Wet ground still expands upward, does it not?

Here in Florida we get a lot of water, it is the rainy season it rains darn near every day and we get heavy rain on many of those thunderstorms, many times my rain gage is full after the thunderstorm has passed and my rain gage only holds 6 inches so I know I got 6+ inches it is not unusual to get 5-8 inches on these storms.......Our weather patterns here is moisture moving in from both coasts and it collides and creates these bad thunderstorms we get........A good portion of our ground here is sand, it isn't expanding up...... We have no hard freezes that affect our ground either..... Just tourists... :laughing7:

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm in the same boat as LowBatts. Here in southwest Kansas even a soaking rain only gets wet down to about 3-4" at most. Not near enough to have any influence on the 8-10" coins I recover. I do believe that moisture may play a role in the depth detection on the target, but not on the detectors ability. Any other words it may make a coin easier to see but it doesn't make a detector go any deeper. And even then I believe it is more that the moisture expands the ground as it soaks it up making the targets seem deeper. Hard packed ground should get better depth, because there is less soil between the coil and target, than wet fluffy ground. I know my E-Trac doesn't like fluffy ground it like it packed.

Now I can see 14" in sand on occasion, but that doesn't mean any detector can do 14" consistently. That is what I don't see. Sure I've recovered coins at 12" before and more than once but it would be a misrepresentation for me to say I get 12" with my detector. That would insinuate I get it all the time which just isn't true.

I just don't see any evidence that moisture causes a detector to go deeper. I can see moisture, under the right conditions, making a target easier for a detector to see, but not make a detectors frequency go deeper. In fact, a transmitted frequency generally is hindered by moisture not amplified.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023

Every winter I hit the slededing hills here abouts and there's a few spots where I get some simply great sounding targets reporting in the 8-10 inch range. This is only in the most hard-frozen periods of winter. Pinpoint seems to indicate they are coins as well. Just can't/won't chop up a sledding hill that deep, or at all for that matter. Spring thaw comes, cannot get a hit on those same few spots.

Auto tune seems to indicate a target very deep but no ID available. Well no one else has found these targets in all the years so I'm waiting for an MD that reads the same in spring/summer/winter and dry/frozen/wet ground. I've used all my friends machines on these targets also to no avail.

I believe they are just a few Barber dimes, nothing special, but because I've experienced this over several years at the same few spots it's become my ultimate new rig test garden.

Some background on this site may help. Across the park road from this spot was a flat area that had been hit hard for 30 years until the Park Dept. decided to put a parking lot in there in the late '90's.

I was there when they scraped and cut down between 6-10 inches off the top of the area. A lot of old timers had hit this area for years because it was a silver mine. I had hit it too. Once they scraped this area I saw a bed of coinage all from the early period of the park. Ranging in dates from 1890's to about 1920 it was there all over the place. Unbelieveable site. I was running between the cat and the presser, then between the presser and the gravel truck as the city guys do that kind of work, somewhere between cheap and fast.

I don't think that situation is unique at all. Seen a few other sites that were vey similar though not quite as rich. So get me that rig that will get ALL of it and I'll call it hot! ETrac is close, but not close enough.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

No, every target I dig is not 12-14 or more inches deep, every target in the ground isn't 12-14 inches deep, but I do consistently get deep targets over 12 inches with my WOT and SEF Butterfly coils and I get the great depth at the beaches in the wet sand and in the water. At the beach the wet sand is not a hinderence to the detector at all.....

It is useless to continue to argue this, believe as you will, I am others we will continue to recover those extra deep targets at the beach, IN THE WET SAND..........

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

LOL OK I just caught the it was a WOT(15" coil) I would expect any detector to get at least 14" in sand. What size is your SEF? I was not familiar with the WOT had I know it was a 15" coil I would have said DUH, I'd be disappointed if you didn't get at least 14" in sand.

Sorry, I can be a little slow.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005

The Garrett AT Pro I bought after thinking what detector would not be a "rerun"
of those currently or formerly owned. I may never use it in the water, but might use it while raining if not lightning.

If the manual ground balance is used, the depth at which it gives correct ID is impressive. Many say they dig everything or use tone ID only as visual ID lies too much. But I got a clad dime that visually IDed correctly down 7". I read even expensive Minelabs are bad on visual ID beyond 7"?

Garrett got the bugs out by early to mid March, ask Garrett for serial numbers if you wonder if your dealer stock is too old. With my Ace 250 I never got a proper
ID lock on dime below 4" & AT Pro can do it at 7" in STD mode. The Pro mode offers even better separation & tone ID when swept very slow. In STD mode it can be swept about any speed with good visual ID & about nothing to learn.

Even in STD mode, AT Pro (DD coil) separates pretty good & have yet to find a bottlecap. Have it set to reject most trash & get almost no trash. Yes, I'm passing up gold rings if there are any, but think best place for them is waist deep water.

Have 2 detectors that beat it in air tests that I've not taken out yet, Minelab Safari (IDs fairly well in air 11.5" dime) & Nautilus DMCIIb that air tests 8.5" on dime with pulltabs rejected, using 6" coil! Best wishes, George (MN)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Digger said:
LOL OK I just caught the it was a WOT(15" coil) I would expect any detector to get at least 14" in sand. What size is your SEF? I was not familiar with the WOT had I know it was a 15" coil I would have said DUH, I'd be disappointed if you didn't get at least 14" in sand.

Sorry, I can be a little slow.

LOL, I thought I was clear I was using the WOT and SEF Butterfly coils. The WOT is 15 inch wide DD coil, I also use the 12x15 inch and 15X18 inch SEF Butterfly DD coils on both my Sovereign GT's and my Excals..... I have them hardwired on my Excals and interchangeable in my Sovereign......The 15x18" SEF Butterfly coil gets amazing depth, I want say how much because someone will just say I am exaggerating the depth.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread