Hist. society cooperation?

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Has anyone had luck approaching local historic societies to offer a cooperative relationship to search local historic sites either on public or private land? Seems this would be a good thing to work out. I am trying to reach one of these groups now. I gather some would be against any digging, but some might appreciate displaying what is found.

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'v have great relationships with Most historical societies I visit. I'v also had one that thought, I had no right to touch anything historical. the best thing to do is talk to them about your desires. it can't hurt. another thing you can do, I'v walked into one Historical society, Carrying a Bell, from a long past bank, I found and asked them to date it. Their Eyes poped open, told me the age, and said they'd like to have it in their collection. I smiled and said, it's theres. after they had me fill out a donation card for it, they gave me a Personal Guided tour of their place, and gave me several leads on places to search :) GOOD LUCK & keep us posted. ; Jeff

M

mike ct

I'm a reenactor who did a show for a1684 house in Ct. I was asked to come in and id some finds. The archaeologist invited me back and asked if I would bring my detector along. The best thing I found was a large boot buckle made out of pewter and a17thC knife. Both of these were on the second floor in about 8-10 in. of silt next to the chimney. If I can ever figure out how to post photos I will. Everything found is the property of the house, but I get credit for the find. I have also been asked to join the board and was asked to be their historical consulant.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread