How to hunt a sports field....?

papa1956e9

May 11, 2011
I was just reading one of the older posts on here about people digging up parks and sports fields and reburying trash and not using proper techniques to dig and then fix the ground. I'm new to the metal detecting, been collecting things and CHRing for a long long time. I only have a cheap detector now, but I'm hooked so when I can afford one I will upgrading. I used a Marine Corps detector in Afghanistan to check for IED wires and stuff while patrolling but this is new to me. Can one of you salty hunters share with me some of your wisdom on how to extract and item from a field and any other trade secrets you can pass on to the new guy?

Thanks, I don't want to be one of the jerks who mess up a nice field.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are many methods to retrieve a coin from the ground and a lot depends on where its at. Guys use a shovel in the woods and think its OK to use that on the grass at a park. I started out using a screw driver to probe for the object and "popped" them out.

Of course this only works for shallow coins. I prefer to use a bayonet because of the point is in the center of the blade and it can wedge in the center of a pull tab or gold ring for levering it out of the ground. Sometimes a plug has to be cut an it should only be a three sided plug so the roots aren't damaged. This also makes it harder for the lawn mowers to suck the plug out. Basically you just want to be able to look back and not be able to tell where you dug. I like to place any dirt I remove on a small sheet of plastic so all of it can go back in the hole. Practice pinpointing is the best way to build this skill.

OP
OP
papa1956e9

papa1956e9

May 11, 2011
Thanks sandman, it only takes one to ruin a good thing for all and I don't want to be the one. This will help. I have been practicing in my own yard to perfect pinpointing.

Good luck all

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
papa1956e9 said:
Thanks sandman, it only takes one to ruin a good thing for all and I don't want to be the one. This will help. I have been practicing in my own yard to perfect pinpointing.

Good luck all

Most folks try to figure out how deep their machines will go or how to tell targets apart and never consider that most important task, pinpointing. You're off to the right start. Getting the target recovered cleanly and quickly means getting to the next target faster and a greater return forthe time on the coil.

You can pinpoint wit any object using your eyes on the ground to determine where exactly under the coil the target gives the best indication. then move up to taping or sticking some targets of different types to a large piece of cardboard, and detecting it from from the blind side. Mark an x on the spot where the target is and pop it with a small pick or awl. Pretty soon you'll be right on target and don't forget to do this with any machine and coil combo you pick up.

In the soccer fields and ball fields one thing I don't do is hunt anything under the surface during the dry spells unless it's in the bare spots. Keeps everyone happy.

Hit them fields after they've been mowed, use a small lock blade to cut a slit for targets that are down a little deeper if you're able. Makes it easy and fast. Can't understand some folks who dig big plugs for 2" deep targets, but there's plenty of them out there and they do tire of the pursuit quickly. Little wonder.

Also, a Garret Pro Pointer would become your favorite detecting accessory hands down if you tried one out.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
They best way to hunt one, is to put the coil to the ground, and hit it over, and over, and over. I'm not a clad digger, but I have dug 40+ silvers from 2 different sports fields in 2 years. The average depth is 6-8".

steve from ohio

Aug 1, 2008
You can dig some pretty impressive holes with a small spade. I do and I just replace everything with the green side up. I heel in the sod and never had any complaints from anyone. I've gone back days later and no brown areas where I dug and you cannot tell where I dug. There is an art to digging a hole and refilling. A sod plug big enough will not brown out or die. My holes are usually 8 inches square. I go as deep as I need. Never had any complaints in over 28 years of detecting. I've dug in many baseball fields, football fields, town hall front lawns, public fields and soccer fields and you cannot tell I was there. I even get thank you's from grounds keepers as I remove sharp metal, cans and water containers. Just make sure you have a small garbage bag with you to hold the trash.

UTcoinshootR

Mar 5, 2008
UT!
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, DFX300
That advice about pinpointing is gold. I can hit the object with my probe the first time about 50% of the time. I look back at how I spent the first year doing this and cringe at the wasted efforts.

BornOnFire

Jun 11, 2011
Sahuarita, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug II DP; Bounty Hunter TK4-PL Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Other
Wouldn't hurt to carry a little golf course sod repair sand with you in your pack if you are going to cut the turf. That stuff is great! Full of seed, sand, and a slurry that will blend in well with the surroundings. Also leaves a good impression on the "sidewalk supervisors" who always seem to show up when things look bad. There's one or two of 'em in every neighborhood!

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About digging tools: Im not sure about what the local ordinance might say about your "weapon". It might be good to check, since I dont think a 10" knife would be welcomed in many parks, and maybe not a bayonet either. I think someone mentioned this in another post, but I couldnt find it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread