What headphone are you using?

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn said:
Here's a tip. Your detector is not a Hi Fi unit. It puts out a very limited range of responce. If you pick up headphones that will pick up 20 to 20,000 Hz, you waisted a boundle of money. Almost any headphone in the neighborhood of 8 ohms reistance will work very well. Go for the comfort of fit as your guide. Why waste money on unneeded range pickup. The big money is for the fancy name on them. Frank

THIS

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the earbud idea but without the muffs, I like to hear whats going on around me. I didnt know they made them waterproof.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
I've never understood why people buy the $100+ headphones. Are most detectorists audiophiles? Do expensive headphones add to depth of detection? Do expensive headphones give a slightly different sound on good vs accepted trash items? Do no cheap headphones do this? I guess I would have to listen to a deep coin & deep trash through several headsets to find out first-hand.

I just go with $10-$20 headphones. They need to be replaced every 2 or 3 years but admit I do have accidents where cord gets caught. They are comfortable, go loud, & don't seem obviously distorted. Maybe the more expensive ones are somehow better, I just don't know what else they do. Best wishes, George (MN)

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've five sets of expensive headphones which are needed for several reasons. Get a detector thats tones only, like the XP Power, and you need to sort out whats being told you. Even going from one expensive brand to another could cost you an inch or more of I.D. depth.

Then work a beach with crashing waves or alongside a busy road and you need maximum insulation from outside noise.

If its a hot summer you might want something extra light or ventilated. These can be used at a rally or when out with friends where you might want to talk to someone nearby and hear what they are saying without having to pull the headphones off.

Buy cheap and the cones don't like damp and sound can go mushy if you leave them in the car overnight. Mylar cones cope with damp but then are not always the best choice for seperating slight tone changes.

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am somewhere in the middle judging by the replies. I use the garrett ez store. I have a set of gray ghosts, but don't use them..the ez stores are more than sufficient for me, and ..well..they're easy to store

Lost2Much

Apr 29, 2011
South Pa.
Detector(s) used
MXT XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Sunray will be here in 2 days. I am tired of the stock factory headphone that came with the machine. I can't hear anything near highways, they don't fit right and hurts my ears and eyeglass frames hurt my head, after an hour of use. So, any "good" headphones, has to be "better".

RandyNorthridgeCa

Mar 27, 2005
Northridge, Calif.
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, F-75, SE, explorer 2 on beaches), CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lost2Much said:
The Sunray will be here in 2 days. I am tired of the stock factory headphone that came with the machine. I can't hear anything near highways, they don't fit right and hurts my ears and eyeglass frames hurt my head, after an hour of use. So, any "good" headphones, has to be "better".

Good choice! Won't be as quite as the Black Widows but you can't go wrong with a set of Sunray's. Good Luck and HH

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quinc said:
steve from ohio said:
I've got a Minelab Excalibur II 1475....it has the WOT coil....14.75 inches. I use Peltor Optime 98's soundproof ear muffs with waterproof ear buds. Best sound and sound insulation possible. I can hear everything my detector is telling me and I can blot out all other noises which is best for being on the beach or in the water with waves. I can detect on land near highways with loud motorcycles and it pretty much knocks them out too. I've tried them all.....and this set up is the best I have found. $18 for the Peltors and $45 for the waterproof ear buds. Used factory headphone cable. Waterproof down to 150 feet. No brainer!

These still fail because you are using wires. Thats so 1990's... :munky2:

Many of the wireless have problems with overhead electricial interference, as well as some have a delay between the coil passing over the target and the tone in the wireless headphones..... Even a half sec delay would drive me nuts......

I have a pair of DetectorPro that comes with my Uniprobe, a pair of Black Widows, and a pair of Rat Phones for land and the Excal phones on one Excal and the custom Team Orccasound headphones from The Buligarian on my other Excal..

Blind Squirrel

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Whites PI Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I first hooked up my Black Widows to my new F75se I thought I had died and gone to heaven. Of course I was used to my Ace 250, so there should be a big difference!!! Had no idea what I was missing!!!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use my new hearing aids! They came with an icom "necklace" that turns them into earphones! Wireless hearphones, no less! Well, kinda. The detector plugs into the icom device, sending the signal (wireless) to the hearing aids. Neat stuff these days! TTC

dwentzel228

Greenie
Jun 25, 2011
I have tried stock headphones from Garrett and Fisher. The Fisher are by far better than the Garrett. I've also used ear buds but you don't get those nice deep tones like you can hear on over ear headphones. I have gone wireless with the radio shack auvio series. I will never go back to wired again. I know many will complain about the batteries but it doesn't take long to charge the transmitter and headphones. They have lasted several hunts and have not had them die on me yet.

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Love my Killer B's :headbang:

Sand-duner

Nov 24, 2009
Sequim, WA
Detector(s) used
BH Quick Draw II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
SkullCandy earbuds from the Shack. Cost 25$, stereo/mono selective, soft rubber insulators, ears don't sweat, and my 'tector only has 3 tone range so I can hear low/mid/high even in a hurricane. The ONLY bad thing I have to say is the cord is a bit short, I've pulled them out of my ears a couple times standing up quickly without grabbing the QDII off the ground. Other than that, I just can't justify spending more on my headphones than I did on my machine (at this stage in my detecting career, as it were, anyway). Also, several of the places around town that I frequent are in, er, questionable, neighborhoods; so I like to keep one ear IN the ground, and one ear ON the ground.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread