Old Drive In Theater

Theakiki

Dec 28, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX550
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is an old drive in theater near my home. It has been closed about thirty years, and I'm not sure how many decades it was open, but I know it was at least a few. "A gold mine!" I thought to myself.

I spent about two hours out there last night. I got an old Ford ignition key, an old can / bottle opener, a few dozen bottle caps, and many dozens of pull tabs. :sad1:

The good stuff consisted of one 1961 penny! ::)
It didn't go down the way that I had imagined it would.

Upvote 0

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
steve from ohio said:
bazinga said:
steve from ohio said:
With my Excalibur II, I can tell if it is trash or not and don't dig junk any more. Have I missed some good targets?

Yes.
It was a rhetorical question. And I doubt very much that I have missed anything good. I am way too good with the Excalibur after digging everything for many years. I know what the Excalibur is telling me and almost for certain I can tell what it is. But I will admit that I dig way more tabs than just about anyone. I just can't resist digging pull tabs. I still cannot figure out how a tab sounds different than some rings.

But who know....you may be right. IF so, I'll leave those targets for others.

tab = junk

Therefore, you are digging junk targets.

steve from ohio

Aug 1, 2008
bazinga said:
steve from ohio said:
bazinga said:
steve from ohio said:
With my Excalibur II, I can tell if it is trash or not and don't dig junk any more. Have I missed some good targets?

Yes.
It was a rhetorical question. And I doubt very much that I have missed anything good. I am way too good with the Excalibur after digging everything for many years. I know what the Excalibur is telling me and almost for certain I can tell what it is. But I will admit that I dig way more tabs than just about anyone. I just can't resist digging pull tabs. I still cannot figure out how a tab sounds different than some rings.

But who know....you may be right. IF so, I'll leave those targets for others.

tab = junk

Therefore, you are digging junk targets.
Yes I am. Not digging a lot of junk as I avoid trashy areas as much as possible. My junk to good ratio is probably better than most. I prefer the high quality areas like in the ocean or on the salt water beaches where that stuff dissolves. On land I prefer the old school yards. The Excalibur II and the older Excaliburs are really good at finding gold rings....and those gold rings often sound like tabs. So I take the chance of digging that junk so I can get the rings.

Most people dig some junk...my junk just happens to be tabs and pull rings. They sound just too good to pass up.

suprdave

Aug 3, 2010
LeFlore County Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
theres one in my area i have been wanting to hit that has been closed way before pop tabs, its a hay field now and after they cut im going to try it. theres got to be some silver there .

steve from ohio

Aug 1, 2008
Older drive ins that have been shut down and made into corn or hay fields are a great place to hunt.

Another area is hills overlooking towns. Back in the old days, people would go to the top of hills to get the breeze and would congregate there. So if you know of a town in hill country, you can bet that there is a hill somewhere near that town that was the place to be back in the old days. Sort of like a drive in but for horse & buggies and no movies.....just talk and gossip.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread