Anybody ever buy from Discount Detector Sales?

laralucine

Dec 27, 2004
S.E. PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 Minelab X-Terra 50
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everybody,
I'm wondering if anyone has any experience dealing w/ this company. I ordered a Vibraprobe from them and got the automated response email immediately from yahoo stores online. It said they'd send another email when they shipped the order. This was Wednesday night, so I'm not upset about the fact that it hasn't shipped yet(although usually places I order from are a bit quicker than that), but I called and emailed yesterday, just to find out when they might expect to ship and have not gotten any response. I'm thinking they might be on vacation if it's a mom-and-pop type shop, but no automated response to my email and the voicemail is just a standard out of office or helping another customer spiel. I know I'm impatient, but I just got my MD and have been only using it in my (small) yard, because I don't want to go anywhere else until I can pinpoint better and be more careful when recovering my targets.
TIA,
Lara

Upvote 0
D

dfx_maui

It be best next time to ask about vendor PRIOR to making the purchase. I like to email the vendor prior to purchasing just to see how well they respond to my messages. If they don't get back to me within twenty four hours, I will move on to the next vendor. The majority of vendors I purchase from has been very responsive to emails and that is why I buy from them. If they are not responsive enough, I will be very hesitant in buying from them.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lara, what metal detector are you using. Most have a pinpoint mode that makes it easy to, well, Pinpoint. Find a place in the yard without targets and practice finding coins under a newspaper. Years ago we didn't have these extra pinpointers. Good Luck.

Sandman

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm sure you'll receive your pinpointer in due time. I've not purchased anything from them but what you described is rather typical of online transactions.

For me, I do as was suggested above and email a company before ordering. If I don't get a fast reply I move on.

The one bad thing about ordering from whomever online is you never know who you're dealing with. Often these are "drop-shippers" who simply pocket their profit and send your order on to the company who will in turn send you the merchandise.

When buying an expensive piece of equipment I prefer to buy it locally from a dealer or if that's not possible from some very large and well-known online dealer.

Since we have no metal detector dealers near us I buy most of my NEW stuff from KellyCo or one of the other major web dealers. They usually have a fast turn-over and are not so likely to send one a demo or used unit for new (but it can happen by mistake).

Best to you.

Badger

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree. If you don't have a local dealer, Kellyco is best. I've ordered a couple of things from them in the past, and got good service.

usually, your local MD Dealer can get you deals on different things as well.

Mike

OP
OP
laralucine

laralucine

Dec 27, 2004
S.E. PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman256 said:
Lara, what metal detector are you using. Most have a pinpoint mode that makes it easy to, well, Pinpoint. Find a place in the yard without targets and practice finding coins under a newspaper. Years ago we didn't have these extra pinpointers. Good Luck.

Sandman

X-Terra 50. I'm getting better with the pinpointer, but the color of the soil around here makes pennies (or, more often, nails :'() really hard to see - actually why I ordered the Vibraprobe (b/c it only vibrates when the tip of the probe is near target, as I understand). And I don't want to go anywhere where careless hunting will leave "marks". Thanks for the suggestions. I'm just really impatient. On Tuesday, I'll be near the White's store, so if I haven't heard from the company by then, I may just buy a Bullseye.

Thanks, HH
Lara

OP
OP
laralucine

laralucine

Dec 27, 2004
S.E. PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, guys - I know about Kellyco, just was being cheap. Luckily, I also have at least two MD stores pretty close by, so not desperate, just impatient!
:)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread