WWI or WWII buttons, ring, and interesting shoe medal

jjg70

Dec 12, 2010
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250. Garrett AT Pro
I went back out to my in-laws today for a quick hunt. In one hole i found these great seal buttons and the sterling silver ring. I know relatives were in both world wars but cant tell anything from back of buttons to help determine which war. Does anyone know if they gold plated buttons during WWI? On the other side of yard I found the 1942 P war nickel ( 2nd for the summer ) and the interesting excelsior shoe medal that was given out when you purchased the official boy scout shoe they made. it says 1910 on face and i assume that is for the year scouts were founded but i can find out the date these were given out, judging from the backside, i assume they were distributed before Hitler ruined the good luck symbol forever

Attachments

• buttons.JPG
    buttons.JPG
    236.3 KB · Views: 1,053
  • silver ring.JPG
    silver ring.JPG
    25.5 KB · Views: 339
  • 42 war nickel.JPG
    42 war nickel.JPG
    17.5 KB · Views: 303
  • boy scout1.JPG
    boy scout1.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 841
  • boy scout2.JPG
    boy scout2.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 343
Upvote 0
OP
OP
jjg70

jjg70

Dec 12, 2010
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250. Garrett AT Pro
The backs on these are have corrosion built up so bad that I can't see anything other than the loop

steve from ohio

Aug 1, 2008
During World War I, the swastika could be found on the shoulder patches of the American 45th Division and on the Finnish air force until after World War II.

You are right. The swastika was always a good luck sign and was so for over 3000 years. The word "swastika" comes from the Sanskrit svastika - "su" meaning "good," "asti" meaning "to be," and "ka" as a suffix.

The military buttons indicate general service and were first issued in 1902 and are still used today so there are millions of them out there. So it is difficult to say how old they are but the shoe store swastika is pre 1941 for sure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions