More rookie Questions.

bama20a

Aug 6, 2011
Greetings:
I've just joined,although I've been reading for awhile. I know this is the most friendly & helpful forum I've seen on the Net.
And feel honored now to be a part of it & hope maybe I can be a small help to some one.
I know this is the wrong place to put this, but some of the topic's that I go to does not have the post new topic, that is wrote in red ???
I do thank Hombre for him trying to help.
i think the question should be put under Brands,But it want let me post there.So mods you may move it if you see fit.Mark,,,,,
So here I'll get to it,I can't spend alot on it,(over $300.00
#1Garrett 250
#2 Delta 4000
#3Tesoro silver umax
Garrett, 2 yrs warranty 4 aa battery,6.5kHz
Delta, lifetime warranty,1ea 9 volt battery,7.8 kHz
Silver umax max, Lifetime warranty, 1ea 9 volt battery,10 kHz
The price of each is too close to worry about.
I DON'T care much about the free options they are giving away(sure wish they would give that much off the price of my detector :laughing9:
I've been told the meters on the cheaper ones don't mean much,
Also I've noticed the listing for optimum temp &humidity listing,How much part does that have on them?
Boy,ol'boy,Our humidity stays about that high almost year round.
the umax has the most frequency 10khz,although it has the less search modes(2),how important is that?
Sorry to have bored you,But I think some of you will be able to help me make up my mind :tongue3:
Also noticed the dealers say's.Big Deal or try us before youbuy,call us.& on &on.when i check they are all the same price even on E-Bay :dontknow:
Thank you for your time.Mark,,,,,,,,,

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Bama! First and formost, make sure you buy your detector from a GOOD, PERSONAL, DEALER - not a big company like Kellyco. Why? Because you are going to have a lot of questions no matter what unit you buy, and you will need the RIGHT answers, right away! A good dealer is just a phone call, text or email away. Once you KNOW what you want and don't need hand-holding, THEN you can try and save $20!

I am a Minelab and Tesoro addict! As a gold prospector, Minelab PI (GPX5000) and Tesoro VLF (Lobo SuperTRAQ) detectors are part of my life. Now that I have taken up saltwater detecting, I use a Tesoro Sand Shark as well. I actually know some of the folks at Tesoro - in Prescott, Arizona, and I have experienced their pride and professionalism up close in the factory. Americans, making an all-American product with a lifetime warranty. Imagine that!

Whatever you choose, learn the machine and its language! That is the real key to your success! Good Luck!

bama20a said:
Greetings:
I've just joined,although I've been reading for awhile. I know this is the most friendly & helpful forum I've seen on the Net.
And feel honored now to be a part of it & hope maybe I can be a small help to some one.
I know this is the wrong place to put this, but some of the topic's that I go to does not have the post new topic, that is wrote in red ???
i think the question should be put under Brands,But it want let me post there.So mods you may move it if you see fit.Mark,,,,,
#1Garrett 250
#2 Delta 4000
#3Tesoro silver umax
Delta, lifetime warranty,1ea 9 volt battery,7.8 kHz
I DON'T care much about the free options they are giving away(sure wish they would give that much off the price of my detector :laughing9:
Also I've noticed the listing for optimum temp &humidity listing,How much part does that have on them?
the umax has the most frequency 10khz,although it has the less search modes(2),how important is that?
Sorry to have bored you,But I think some of you will be able to help me make up my mind :tongue3:
Also noticed the dealers say's.Big Deal or try us before youbuy,call us.& on &on.when i check they are all the same price even on E-Bay :dontknow:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Mark, welcome to the Tnet family. It takes a couple posts to figure out where to post what, but you'll soon get the hang of it. Posting on the wrong place is no big deal as it just means someone with your answers might not see it quickly.

Meters don't really report acturately on the more expensive detectors either as they report on the conductivity of the target ,not what it really is. The frequency they operate at has a little to do with how sensitive they are to small targets. The Silver Umax is very light weight and excellent target seperation. If there is one option everyone should get it is a smaller "sniper coil" to get one target at a time under the coil so the circuits can do the work. The two modes on the Silver are Disc and All Metal pinpoint.
http://www.losttreasure.com/content/archives/silver-umax-and-cleansweep-search-coil :read2:
Mostly the humidity has little effect on modern detectors. Taking it from a air conditioned home to the outside takes them a few minutes to adjust just like we do.

The crap the stores offer you has inflated prices to its value. The prices are set by the manufacturers and the sellers can't go below that price. Thats why all the prices for a certain model are the same. As Terry said, try to buy from a local dealer even if you need to drive a ways. They can help you set it up and answer any questions. The big stores like Kellyco might not have personal experience with your detector.

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
You are going to dig junk with a meter or without until you really learn it.Don't get frustrated.
I personally would go with the Silver umax from Tesoro.It will be a little deeper than the other two.Goodluck no matter which you choose.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have never used the Delta and can't comment on that.

I am also a big fan of Tesoro.

I think the Ace 250 and the Silver uMax will both serve you well.

The plus side of the uMax is that it is backed by a lifetime warranty, has a much quicker recovery time than the Ace and has a larger variety of coils to choose from. The down side to the uMax is that it does not allow notch discrimination. Say for example you are tired of digging pull tabs and want to just focus on coins. Well, on the uMax, if you discriminate out pull tabs, you will also discriminate out nickels. The Ace has notch discrimination so you can knock out pulltabs (and anything else you don't want) and still keep everything else, including nickels. Of course, the TID screen has limited accurancy and you will still dig a few pulltabs and other junk, but that notching feature is nice to have.

The downside to the Ace is its slow recovery speed and that the stock coil is very hard to pinpoint with. Getting proficient takes practice. I use a pinpointer when I go hunting, so it is less of a problem.

I use the Compadre in the cooler months when I am jewlery hunting. But in these blazing hot summer months I use the Ace and just limit myself to coin shooting. I'm just not into digging all that trash in this heat. Call me a wuss. ;D

sandtrout

Jan 27, 2010
The smaller coil is GREAT to have in "junky" parks but.......after the detector, my SECOND purchase would be a Garrett ProPointer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bama20a said:
Greetings:
#1Garrett 250
#2 Delta 4000
#3Tesoro silver umax
Delta, lifetime warranty,1ea 9 volt battery,7.8 kHzMark I replied to you in other thread .........Get the Ace sir & dont look back.....There is so many videos on the net.....just google and you will see .......Simple detector to learn!

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Look at a fisher f2 pin pointer package. It includes fisher f2, additional 4" sniper coil. And fisher pi pointer for $215. Unless you get a better deal by calling a sponsor (wink wink).
F2 has a faster recovery, lighter weight, 5 year warranty and 2 coils. Great beginner setup! Call me with any questions!

OP
OP
B

bama20a

Aug 6, 2011
I want to thank everyone for your respond,I order a u-max today,But again thanks. Mark,,,,,,,,

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet bama , The tesoro is a great choice , their a good machine , their light an they luv to find things an the best perk is they are very very user friendly . Tesoro is a great company to deal with is you have a question or a problem . And don't worry about the newbie questions we all where newbies at one time or another an even if we aren't we still ask questions .Happy hunting an have fun . :icon_thumleft:

Tank

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you know the U Max has no pin point, no depth indicator, and only one tone. I think those things are very usefull for a beginner.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Combination of the stock concentric coil and an all metal mode that can be used for pinpointing at the flick of a switch if required means "pinpoint" is not required.

Depth reading is rarely right due to the varying size of coins, the angle they have settled in the soil at and ground minerals themselves.

"Beep and Dig" still has its advantages. People really should create a test bed of the same type of coin at varying depths so they don't fall victim to forum hype. Most, if they have both beep and dig and tone modes, will indicate an item correctly as ferrous/non ferrous deeper in B&D than in tones.

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on your detector selection, unfortunately I can't give you any advice on using it. I hope you have really good luck with it. Be patient, persistant and swing all you can, that's how you learn.

Now, you'll need a good recovery tool, I suggest a Predator Tools model 85. Tough as nails, best $58 (shipped) you'll spend on a tool you can use detecting and around home. (www.predatortools.com)

I'd also suggest a pinpointer to help you recover your targets quicker. You'll get lots of opinions on this, but I recommend a Garrett ProPointer, around $130 or if you just want something to get you by until you can see your way clear to get the ProPointer, get the Harbor Freight Centec handheld detector for less than $20... You can find info on T-net regarding both.

Left4Dead

Greenie
Jul 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000, Ace 250
Congratulations on getting into this awesome hobby!

Funny thing is if you would have bought a ace250 or teknetics you could have just covered up the screen where is says what the object might be and how deep it may be as well, then it would be very similar to the silver umax.

I wish I could try out a silver uMAX, seems no local dealers around here have on to test. I wonder if you can have an idea of whats in the ground under the coil with out turning the disc knob till the tone stops for every target? That seems like a big pain.

I understand you may be able to predict size and depth by moving coil off ground and back and forth for size.

I really want to like the tesoro's , ie: American made , light weight, lifetime war, constructed strong.
I just can't get a grasp on the not have any idea of what metal is under the ground.

I'm not trying to say that anyone has made a poor decision on a purchase, I really just want to understand things better, I have seen the gold umax, and it has 3 tones for metal in disc mode, which would help a ton for knowing more about what under your coil.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
The big thing is where you hunt as several other posters pointed out.

If you have good places to hunt the detector used usually means little.

Several years ago I took the challenge from another member here and bought one of those cheap Chinese units off ebay. I took it to my best hunting sites and did just as well as I did with my very expensive detectors.

It's rare when you need an extra inch or two that you get my buying an expensive unit. The vast majority of good finds are still less than 5 inches deep and most any detector today can find them.

Do research and find those places others haven't covered 100's of times.

Badger

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread