Best metal detector under 170usd?

Tesorillo

Aug 9, 2011
Best metal detector under 170usd?

Hi, I am from Spain, I am new here
10 years ago I was playing with a mine detector with pulse induction. This detector reached a depth of 50 cm (20 inches) but I just found out trash, so I sold the detector to a professional searcher who used it along with other standard detectors and I left this hobby. Now, I want to try this hobby again but with a more modest detector for me to focus on accuracy, and get precious metal objects, avoiding all the junk

What is the best detector (quality-price relation) under 170usd? this is my budget.

I have seen this detectors:

Bounty Hunter Gold Digger = 65 usd
Bounty Hunter VLF = 82 usd
Bounty Hunter Tracker = 120 usd
Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker = 120 usd
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw + Pinpointer + Bag = 170 usd
Tesoro Compadre = 160 usd
Garret Ace 150 = 150 usd

What is the best detector under 170 usd by relation quality-price?
Thanks.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Best metal detector under 170usd?

Of the listed detectors you gave in your price range the Tesoro Compadre is the best one with the Garrett 150 a distant second place. The Bounty Hunters work, but many that have them always want to upgrade plus they are prone to many failures because of the quality of materials used.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Hands down the Tesoro Compadre. Nothing else even comes close.

Sorry if it seems like I'm stomping on the other detectors, don't mean to.

Personally, I think the Compadre is worth much more than the $170 Tesoro charges for it.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

He wants to get precious metal targets and avoid all of the junk.

The answer is simple.

Metal detecting is not for you. No machine does that.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

There is no detector that is going to ignore all the junk and only tell you when there is precious metal under the coil. Some of the higher end detectors will allow you to descriminate out a lot of the trash, but you will also be descriminating a lot of the precious metals due to the base metals they are mixed with......

If your only wanting to find precious metals and not be bothered digging anything else then your best bet is to take your $170 and go to a coin shop and just buy it there....

If someone knows of a shortcut that will stop me from digging pulltabs, can slaw and other trash please let me know too, I want to only dig precious metals also...;D......

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Tesorillo,

The others speak the truth.

Gold jewelry is usually mixed with baser metals to make it strong. Because of that, they fall in the same conductivity scale as most junk, like foil and pull tabs. Iron is the most you can safely discriminate out and not sacrifice gold.

If you want to dig those precious metals, you must dig a lot of trash in the process. It cannot be avoided.

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I think people are taking him too literally when he says "avoiding all of the junk". Keep in mind that his previous experience was with a PI mine detecting unit. He would have been finding tons of iron trash. Any discriminating detector will likely yield significantly better results than what he was using before.

With all of that said, I agree that the Tesoro Compadre seems to be just the ticket.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread