Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I honestly don't know, but I would strongly suspect that it's a NO to metal detecting. It could depend alot on where exactly you are on the trail - alot of it runs through State Forests and Parks and I believe the majority if not all of them are off limits to detecting.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in Pa some of it Runs through State Forest, & State Parks Which are open to Everything Recreational, according to their Web Site.

However the Path itself, Is National Scenic Trail.

so the Length & width of the Trail, may be protected.

But how Wide is the Trail ?

What gets me is I have searched along the trail on Forest Property.
and some, maby Most Hikers are the Worst Pigs on the Planet.

My apologies to those who Arn't. But if you saw what I see.
you would think that too. Trash everywhere

But maby they use it like Bread Crumbs to Guide the way ???

OP
OP
Kiros32

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.788825/k.8CB0/Leave_No_Trace.htm

"Leave what you find. Don't take flowers or other sensitive natural resources. Don't disturb historical artifacts such as cellar holes and arrowheads."

This is a bit vague, but it appears to be a polite way of saying, NO METAL DETECTING!! I grew up hiking along the AT, so I am very curious to know the laws pertaining to this. I will make a phone call to the Trail Service and ask them.

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
Pretty much all of it in SE kentucky is a no go for metal detecting. They will at a minimum take your detector down here.

Postalrevnant

ericwt

Feb 8, 2004
I would think there would be areas just off the trail on Private Property that you could detect if you had the land owners permission. Particularly areas close to water. But I don't know.

I think it is a no go on the trail itself.

ericwt

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff of pa said:
Here in Pa some of it Runs through State Forest, & State Parks Which are open to Everything Recreational, according to their Web Site.

However the Path itself, Is National Scenic Trail.

so the Length & width of the Trail, may be protected.

But how Wide is the Trail ?

What gets me is I have searched along the trail on Forest Property.
and some, maby Most Hikers are the Worst Pigs on the Planet.

My apologies to those who Arn't. But if you saw what I see.
you would think that too. Trash everywhere

But maby they use it like Bread Crumbs to Guide the way ???

I definitely hear you Jeff!! If you're a responsible detectorist who fills their holes and doesn't destroy turf it can really annoy you to go to playgrounds, beaches and parks and realize that you're far more of a responsible visitor than the average person who leaves crap everywhere!!!

I know that in New Hampshire I contacted the parks department and was told that metal detecting is ONLY allowed in State Parks on beaches and that anywhere else in state parks and forests is off limits.

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a solution to the problem. Elect only treasure Net members to Congress and Executive branch. ::) ::) Can't help but improve things.
Burdie

R

rvbvetter

If you detect there, be careful. Wouldn't want to see you in "Deliverance II The Movie" Know whut I mean Vern? HH

ringding

May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505
Keep in mind who uses the Appalachian trail: rabid environmentalist and granola-eating squirrel huggers. If they see you digging along the trail they will go ballistic. They will do what they can to try to get you in trouble.

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know that you'd find much, maybe foil granola wrappers and pull tops. If you could hunt the campsites and shelters along the AT you might be able to find some neat stuff. I've only done Mt.Mitchell a couple of times from the Black Mountain side near Busick, N.C. It's a nice trail, I met a lot of serious hikers. Even if it were legal, you'd probably get hissed at a lot by the tree hugging dirt worshipers. Who knows...hh

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here Pull Tab,s Eating Utincels, Cans, Foil, & everything else
a Hiker may carry but not want.

and of course Clad Coinage

simonds

Feb 4, 2005
Tioga Co. Pa.
I have detected a ghost town in the state forest, and a beach and picnic area in a state park in my area. I first went to forestry office and told them which site I wanted to search and they told me it was OK and make sure I fill any holes and do not remove any rocks from the cellar holes. The park officer told me it was OK but to only use a screwdriver or something similar.Anything that could be identified like a ring or watch needs to be brought to the office so it can be returned if it was reported lost by the owner. They did ride by a couple times very slow and watch me at the park and that botherd me so I didn't stay very long. I think they treated me very fair. Now someplace else I'm sure they could be totally the opposite, especially if they have had problems before. There are some out there who will ruin it for the rest of us. Be sure to check with them first. The trail right a way may be different like jeff said.
Clayton

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread