Old School Site sidewalk

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Its public property and probably won't be fenced off, other than perhaps erosion control fencing, just go after hours and detect it. Be sure to check any dirt that's been removed and piled up.

If you insist on asking, just go and be honest. Tell them what your hobby is and that you'd like to check for old coins in the removed dirt and under the edge of the removed sidewalk. Once they grade out the area before pouring, don't dig in it, that'll tick the contractors off.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The area MAY not be fenced off but the city MAY enforce the tresspass laws pertaining to construction sites. That yellow tape they put down has as much legal clout as a chain link fence. I hope you are allowed to hunt. Ask the construction crew late in the work day. Seek out the forman or "lead". Then gossip with him, getting his name. They are not the highest authority but might be good enough for the cops. Wear a hard hat so it shows concern for safety on the construction site, as that is what the tape is all about. Going in without talking to SOMEONE is asking for rejection. Good luck, hope you find something! TTC

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I would have to agree with Dwight on this (with all due respect Terry). The way to hunt sidewalk demolition sites (which will have nothing more than yellow ticker tape, and a few cones around it perhaps), is to simply go after the workers cut out for the day, and hit it.

I have hit scores of sidewalk demo's over the years. If they're in old-town districts, where it used to be dirt or wood walks prior to cement, they can sometimes be good.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Gotten familiar enough with one local contractor that I often work between the Gradall and the forming crews when they're moving fast. It doesn't hurt to have located water shutoff valves, gas lines, etc. that the utility locators missed also.

Never had a problem on sidewalk or parkway work except with the neighbors in a few of the neighborhoods and that's easily resolved, move on past their drive way. When the cops roll up on an early Sunday or Saturday morning on a call from a local, I just wave them on and they just wave back and roll on.

Go hit it and get it now. Those slabs won't be up for another 20 years.

GringoStarr

Aug 15, 2009
La Florida
Detector(s) used
Metrotech 220, Spartan 175, Metrotech 330, Garrett CXiii With Bloodhound Attachment. Garrett Hand Scanner, and others.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dr.Jones said:
So i noticed that in my town they are ripping up the old sidewalk next to the school, which was built in 1915. I thought I would go and seek permission to hunt the area before they pour the new concrete. Any ideas on what to say as not to be rejected?

Dr. Jones,
The answer is, "it just depends", on the situation. All of these gentlemen posters have a point, and there are many ways to handle this. Here's a few:
You could detect across the street between the sidewalk and the curb, give a friendly wave and see what happens. You could hit it at the crack of dawn on
Sunday morning, and get out before the church crowd comes home. I would consider finding out who the onsite supervisor is, and go introduce yourself. Buy the guys soft drinks, as it's pretty hot out right now, and make friends that way. Ask them when it would be ok to detect, and let them know there will be no trace of your ever being there. Sometimes the law is pretty tough regarding trespass on construction sites, e.g. Florida. Dr. Jones, do you know the law in New Jersey? It would pay to find out, just in case. If you were to pull this off, and do well, it would behoove you to reward the super, and or the guys with a pizza, or a round of beers. Gratitude is uncommon. This could lead to bigger and better things.
In closing, it depends on your temperment, what you are comfortable doing. Don't wait, as this potential vault will close soon.

Good luck, and good hunting.

Exanimo!

The Gringo

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gringo makes very good points. Those guys in the trences are human. They are approachable. The beer and pizza AFTER work (not on site: too many cell phone cams) is a very good idea. Now you got the ammo, go out and shoot 'em up! Let us know how you do. TTC

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have hunted hundreds of sidewalk tear outs and never had problem go after hours or the weekend. I have had the police stop and talk to me about what I was finding and I also had the newpaper stop and take my pic and talk about my hobby. So I say go and enjoy yourself........Matt

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
mlayers, that happened to me too: A newspaper reporter lady saw me working a down-town sidewalk tearout, and started asking Q's. Asked if she could do a story on it. I said "go ahead". They ended up doing a story is the local paper, even so far as listing all the seated coins, tokens, etc... that came from the project, etc... At no time did anyone say "oh me oh my, who said he could be doing that??" No need to buy beer and pizza for anyone.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I also got a write up in a Roanoke Rapids, NC paper in the nineties. I Called the paper telling them I found a wedding band that I wanted to return. Ok, I was doing a little "self promotion/detector exposure" kinda thing. Picture in the paper and all. A local md'r looked at the ring to explain it was probably a civil war era ring. Gold plated silver. Most gold was being turned in to "the cause" back then. I almost passed it up as it was rusty. The gold and silver were not rusty but the amalgam used was! made it look like a key ring. I picked it up and wiped the dirt from the middle to find the gold very shiney. Much of the outer gold was worn away exposing the silver. A hard-working man's ring. TTC

Wile.E

Tenderfoot
Feb 9, 2011
They are doing same in my town,2 blocks down street, at least 600 yards ,not counting front of school which they do have chain link fenced off. But figure if encountered by someone who counts I will tell truth and say didnt know and suffer circumstances.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I have also hunted sidewalk tear ups... After the workers left for the day............ I just went and hunted ....I never asked any one can i hunt here i just hunted ........ And no one ever said any thing to me............. And that beer & pizza thing don't do that ........... And that wave to the workers they might think you are kind of girlish so i would forget about that to.............

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
gleaner1 said:
Keppy knows the deal. Old School. That's the only way to go.
Yes sir gleaner...... You know it...... Every one worrys to much now a days.... Over nothing .....

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Wile.E said:
They are doing same in my town,2 blocks down street, at least 600 yards ,not counting front of school which they do have chain link fenced off. But figure if encountered by someone who counts I will tell truth and say didnt know and suffer circumstances.

You most likely won't "suffer" anything more than curiosity. I get frequent offers for yard hunts at these sites also. Very few people mind. In some of the more rotten neighborhoods, such as one I've just finished doing to little effect, most often there is some beer swilling on the porch and a few curious thugs but the neighborhood is old, gotta go where the oldies are. Several young fellas were on the porch of one house betting each other on what kind of beer cap I'd pull up next so I was calling them like a bingo barker. "MGD" or "King Cobra" and so on as their dollars swapped hands. Forgot to call out that nice merc though...

Enjoy your surroundings and what you're doing and look like you belong there.

Because you do, if you're MD'ing.

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy everyone beer and pizza?? Wow! you would have to be planning to pull gold out of that site. Hard hat and early on the weekend, that should do it. Dont go overboard

OP
OP
Dr.Jones

Dr.Jones

Aug 19, 2005
Kennett square , PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Thanks for all the replies. I went there last night for a closer look and it was not blocked off. Unfortunately, they have already placed the rhubarb down and ready to pour the concrete. AND THEY REMOVED THE DIRT. ugh just a tad late. I was stoked to go there too, only to have my dreams dashed lol. maybe next time!!

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So where did they take the dirt?

BTW, does anyone hunt the city snow dumps? I haven't done it yet, but seems like a good place. Can just picture all those cold hands fumbling for parking meter change, and dropping it in the snow, lots of coins, keys, and maybe even rings.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread